Search Engine Shennanigans



  • I mostly use IE6 still. Somehow I found myself using a computer with the new IE (version 8 I guess?) this morning, and I ran into something that reminds me why I still use IE6 in spite of the haters.

    When using the little "search" textbox near the top right corner of the browser window, one is directed to "Bing" instead of Google. This is the default search site (instead of Google, the obvious default choice). In fact, there are no other options unless one clicks a tiny "Find Other Providers..." link buried at the bottom of a deeply-nested settings dialog. Free-form typing of GOOGLE.COM is not allowed. The link provided instead directs to a slooooow Microsoft website where one can indeed find a "Google" selection, although even here it is buried among irrelevant listings for Lycos, AskJeeves, etc. 

    I hate this. Someone really trying to make a good browser would default the search to Google, or at least provide it as a real option. But Microsoft can't make a browser without allowing its ulterior motives to show.

    And I hate the way all of this is couched in a quasi-helpful user interface which blithely pretends to be helping you make it through some kind of selection process for search engines. Sorry, Bill, the selection process is already over, and you lost. 

    I run into a lot of flack for using IE6. Supposedly certain software won't run right in IE6. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for that, though. My end users upgraded from IE6 (directly to IE8, I think) and they didn't have any problems whatsoever. I heard about it after the fact in passing.

    I propose a clean room effort to recreate the functionality of IE6 and deliver its wholesome goodness to the world in public domain form.I further propose that the resultant product should be unencumbered by copyleft restrictions, so that businesses can customize, repackage, and redistribute the product on a for-profit basis. That's where the future lies.

     



  • Obvious troll is obvious.



  • @bridget99 said:

    I ran into something that reminds me why I still use IE6 in spite of the haters.
    A severe brain injury?

    @bridget99 said:

    I propose a clean room effort to recreate the functionality of IE6 and deliver its wholesome goodness to the world in public domain form.I further propose that the resultant product should be unencumbered by copyleft restrictions, so that businesses can customize, repackage, and redistribute the product on a for-profit basis. That's where the future lies.
    Yup, brain injury.



  • @bridget99 said:

    I mostly use IE<snip>
    Well, there's your problem



  • @DOA said:

    @bridget99 said:

    I mostly use IE<snip>
    Well, there's your problem

     

    At least it doesn't try and trick me into using "Bing." 

    Seriously, do these people have any business plan other than "tricking Grandma?" Or is that all there is left?



  • @bstorer said:

    @bridget99 said:

    I ran into something that reminds me why I still use IE6 in spite of the haters.
    A severe brain injury?

    @bridget99 said:

    I propose a clean room effort to recreate the functionality of IE6 and deliver its wholesome goodness to the world in public domain form.I further propose that the resultant product should be unencumbered by copyleft restrictions, so that businesses can customize, repackage, and redistribute the product on a for-profit basis. That's where the future lies.
    Yup, brain injury.

    You got trolled, son.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @bstorer said:

    @bridget99 said:

    I ran into something that reminds me why I still use IE6 in spite of the haters.
    A severe brain injury?

    @bridget99 said:

    I propose a clean room effort to recreate the functionality of IE6 and deliver its wholesome goodness to the world in public domain form.I further propose that the resultant product should be unencumbered by copyleft restrictions, so that businesses can customize, repackage, and redistribute the product on a for-profit basis. That's where the future lies.
    Yup, brain injury.

    You got trolled, son.

    Nah, I just enjoy a really pathetic troll now and then.  I'm dying to see where the hell he can go with this.



  • You could upgrade to Firefox.

     



  • We've been over this before.  It defaults to Bing because they have confidence in their product and want to promote it.  They default to bing for the same reason Chrome defaults to Google.

    Additionally, I did not experience the resistance that you experienced when trying to switch, presumably because don't live in my parents' basement reading Slashdot's RSS feed obsessively.

    You basically have about 200 words of "OMG GOOGLE IS TEH BEST WHY WOULDN'T THEY USE IT WTFWTF ROFLCOPTER!!!!!!!!111ONE"

    Have you met zzo38 or jspenguin?  I think you would get along.  

    I second pesto's "brain damage" explanation.



  • @DOA said:

    @bridget99 said:

    I mostly use IE<snip>
    Well, there's your problem

     

    By the way, even though we don't agree, I really appreciate your willingness to stick out your metaphorical neck and express an unpopular opinion. Years from now, when everyone else has, like you, realized the backwardness of IE6, you will perhaps be celebrated as a visionary, even a hero; a sort of Patrice Lamumba of hypertext. Until then, you stand alone, backed by only a billion or so other fanboy visionaries, against the juggernaut of IE6 users that threatens to overwhelm the internet.

    Is it cold up there on your majestic pedestal? Do you stand so high on it that the faraway flutter of angel wings sometimes interrupts your erudite thoughts? Such is the life of the lonely champion of a noble but forgotten cause, DOA. It's not easy being an IE6 hater.

    Take solace in the strengths of the others who have gone before you: the lonely Michael Jordan fans, the elite few who really "got" The Matrix, the hard-bitten cadre of motorists who cling to their Toyotas while everyone else laughs. Alone they suffer, these saints of unconventionality, and you, DOA, have been called to their number. 



  • @dtobias said:

    You could upgrade to Firefox.

    Fool!  Firefox is a memory hog and lacks the basic flaws functionality IE6 provides!



  •  I like ponies.



  • Obviously a troll, but for the benefit of others that haven't used IE8 I'll point out the factual inaccuracies.

    Changing the provider can be done from the drop down button right next to the search button where it appears at the top level. No need to go through lots of settings dialogs. Typing google.com into the search box takes you to the search results page where google is the top result. Typing it into the address bar takes you straight to google.

    Pretty much all as you'd expect. Nothing to see here, move along.

     



  • @bridget99 said:

    @DOA said:

    @bridget99 said:

    I mostly use IE<snip>
    Well, there's your problem

     

    By the way, even though we don't agree, I really appreciate your willingness to stick out your metaphorical neck and express an unpopular opinion. Years from now, when everyone else has, like you, realized the backwardness of IE6, you will perhaps be celebrated as a visionary, even a hero; a sort of Patrice Lamumba of hypertext. Until then, you stand alone, backed by only a billion or so other fanboy visionaries, against the juggernaut of IE6 users that threatens to overwhelm the internet.

    Meh, I've seen epic trolling. This isn't even close. Although +1 for eloquence.



  • @bridget99 said:

    @DOA said:

    @bridget99 said:

    I mostly use IE<snip>
    Well, there's your problem

     

    By the way, even though we don't agree, I really appreciate your willingness to stick out your metaphorical neck and express an unpopular opinion. Years from now, when everyone else has, like you, realized the backwardness of IE6, you will perhaps be celebrated as a visionary, even a hero; a sort of Patrice Lamumba of hypertext. Until then, you stand alone, backed by only a billion or so other fanboy visionaries, against the juggernaut of IE6 users that threatens to overwhelm the internet.

    Is it cold up there on your majestic pedestal? Do you stand so high on it that the faraway flutter of angel wings sometimes interrupts your erudite thoughts? Such is the life of the lonely champion of a noble but forgotten cause, DOA. It's not easy being an IE6 hater.

    Take solace in the strengths of the others who have gone before you: the lonely Michael Jordan fans, the elite few who really "got" The Matrix, the elite cadre of motorists who cling to their Toyotas while everyone else laughs. Alone they suffered, these saints of unconventionality, and you, DOA, have been called to their number. 

    See, morbs?  Wasn't this totally worth it?  It's like a work of post-modern art.  He probably thought of one line first and built the rest of it over the course of weeks.  It was probably the "Patrice Lumumba of hypertext" part.  I'd love to see the revision history on the text file where he's been working on this.  My guess at the progression is Ghandi (too obvious) -> Crispus Attucks (not esoteric enough) -> Patrice Lumumba.



  • @Mithious said:

    Changing the provider can be done from the drop down button right next to the search button where it appears at the top level.

     

    It's possible to access that "Find More Providers" site using the drop-down. There is certainly no "Google" entry there. This is marginally easier than the technique I outlined for changing search provider, assuming one is using a mouse and has very good aim. On my display that little drop-down is about 9 pixels wide.

    @Mithious said:

    Typing google.com into the search box takes you to the search results page where google is the top result. Typing it into the address bar takes you straight to google.

    Oh, so I can use Bing to search for Google? Wow, they've really added a lot of value there. Bing can't lead or follow, but it can (almost) get out of the way. 

    And it's nice of you to point out that typing Google.com into the address bar still works. Thank God for small favors. IE9 will probably take you to some kind of "reeducation wizard" instead.

     

     



  • @bridget99 said:

    It's possible to access that "Find More Providers" site using the drop-down. There is certainly no "Google" entry there.

    Eh... How about fourth line in the left column, right below Bing? Though it amuses me that there is still AOL search and ask.com.

     



  • @dtobias said:

    You could upgrade to Firefox.

     

    A person dedicated to IE6 is not interested in a feature-rich browser with all kinds of addons, and is therefore better off with a simple but modern one, such as Chrome. Firefox (3, 3.5) launches uncomfortably slow on machines that are older than 6 months and slightly not-so-well-maintained.

    I find that almost every little feature detail works better in FFX, but that's just me, no matter how many arguments I can spawn.



  •  @alegr said:

    @bridget99 said:

    It's possible to access that "Find More Providers" site using the drop-down. There is certainly no "Google" entry there.

    Eh... How about fourth line in the left column, right below Bing? Though it amuses me that there is still AOL search and ask.com.

     

    I am unable to locate Google in IE8. I clicked the blue dropdownbutton next to the search field, select "Find More Providers" (assuming it's the same option. I have a Dutch version), and there were 4 listed, sans Google. The default is Live Search, which actually goes to Bing.



  • @alegr said:

    @bridget99 said:

    It's possible to access that "Find More Providers" site using the drop-down. There is certainly no "Google" entry there.

    Eh... How about fourth line in the left column, right below Bing? Though it amuses me that there is still AOL search and ask.com.

     

    I meant that "Use Google" is not an option in the drop-down. Yes, it is on the "Find More Providers" page.

    I think that had they defaulted to Bing but left an easy way to use Google, people would have found this to be an acceptable, even democratic, approach. Even then, they would have succeeded in their goal of getting Bing some visibility. The way they've implemented this is just heavy-handed and offensive.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.