Oh so that's what Wifi looks like



  • I suppose it could signify the obsolesence of the cable, or perhaps it is depicted unconnected to emphasize that you can leave it at home. Maybe.

    Free Wifi



  • Nice picture...

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK

    Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 17:36:01 GMT

    Server: Apache/2.2.11 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8e DAV/2 PHP/5.2.9 with Suhosin-Patch

    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.9

    Content-Length: 0

    Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100

    Connection: Keep-Alive

    Content-Type: text/html



  • If the content length is 0, does it really have a type? :)



  • @realmerlyn said:

    If the content length is 0, does it really have a type? :)

    Thats's ... that's one of the most philosophical questions I've heard for a long time



  • Mmm yes. Invisible image. How embarrassing - this should work.

     



  • @SkaveRat said:

    @realmerlyn said:
    If the content length is 0, does it really have a type? :)

    Thats's ... that's one of the most philosophical questions I've heard for a long time

    Depends on what kind of a programer you are... Do you prefer:

    - untyped "null" (None, nil, NULL, ...)
    - monadic "Maybe Image"

    ?



  • With the right encoding it does make sense.



  • @henke37 said:

    With the right encoding it does make sense.

    Wow, I never knew free wi-fi looked so attractive. I must remember to go to these so-called "hot-spots" more often.



  • Holiday Inn?



  • @henke37 said:

    With the right encoding it does make sense.

    You still need 1 bit to see if the image is Lenna or not.



  • @Eric Shinn said:

    @henke37 said:
    With the right encoding it does make sense.

    You still need 1 bit to see if the image is Lenna or not.
    I take it you didn't get as far as LenPEG 2 (though I do notice that they aren't counting the bytes required to store the filename.)



  • @viraptor said:

    Depends on what kind of a programer you are... Do you prefer:

    - untyped "null" (None, nil, NULL, ...)
    - monadic "Maybe Image"

    ?

    I prefer typed nil:

    puts nil.class.name # => NilClass


  • @PJH said:

    @Eric Shinn said:
    @henke37 said:
    With the right encoding it does make sense.

    You still need 1 bit to see if the image is Lenna or not.
    I take it you didn't get as far as LenPEG 2 (though I do notice that they aren't counting the bytes required to store the filename.)
     

     The bytes to store the filename wouldn't be accounted for in the Content-length of an HTTP response.

    But it is a very valid consideration for saving disk space, but didn't LenPEG3 take care of that?  (page won't load right now), but completely empty file system means Lenna, right?



  •  I want to know how it only provides free WiFi service when you are eating or drinking. I suppose the cable is for when you are thinking (or waiting for a fork)?



  • @PJH said:

    (though I do notice that they aren't counting the bytes required to store the filename.)

    Site is down right now, but that's all I need to see to know that this is not only an old joke, but also one done much better when some real true believer turns up on comp.compression and tries to explain that he's found the one true compression algorithm, and all he has to do now is work out just a couple of bugs in the decompressor.... 



  • @DaveK said:

    @PJH said:

    (though I do notice that they aren't counting the bytes required to store the filename.)

    Site is down right now, but that's all I need to see to know that this is not only an old joke, but also one done much better when some real true believer turns up on comp.compression and tries to explain that he's found the one true compression algorithm, and all he has to do now is work out just a couple of bugs in the decompressor.... 

    Indeed. It would appear it used to be a regular occurrence judging by the fact they felt the need to document some of the more persistent offenders in their FAQ.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.