Really, facebook?

• I logged into facebook and was greeted with this message

[URL='http://imgur.com/OLMOn.png'][IMG]http://imgur.com/OLMOnl.png[/IMG][/URL]

•  Sounds like you're spoofing your user agent... maybe you should check that...

• Using apostrophes ' is not the same, according to Community Disserver, as using quotes "; please comply with its insanity.
    • What's the scratched out toolbar, and what does the status bar look like? (You might have IETab or something.)

•  I get ths as well sometimes using Firefox 3.5. Not cosistently, which is the even more worrying part as it means their detection isn't quite deterministic. I don't spoof my agent there.

A more annoying thing is sites which specifically block access unless you're on the approved list (which they don't keep up to date). My banking site won't let me log in at all unless I spoof an older version of Firefox (3.1 in that case).

• No, useragent isn't spoofed. The blacked out toolbar is something used internally at my job that I decided didn't need to be shown -- rest assured it does not have anything to do with it (I wrote it). Status bar says 'Done' and shows the Greasemonkey icon. I do not have IETab installed at all.

Now what's this about the apostrophes?
    Edit: I see now. Wasn't aware that this used a different syntax than what imgur provided. New link: http://imgur.com/OLMOn.png

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@scuzzman said:

Now what's this about the apostrophes?
    Tooltip/description for the image at a guess.

• @TwelveBaud said:

(You might have IETab or something.)

Last time I checked used Windows, IETab always had an IE logo as its tab icon, not the favicon.

•  Unrelated, I admit, I never used the StumbleUpon toolbar so far. But I like how they labeled the "thumbs up" button "I like it" but left the "thumbs down" button blank. Is that some kind of psychological incentive?

•  How long has Facebook been doing the browser detection like this? It would have been handy for my sister as she was still (unknowningly) using Firefox 1.0 until March this year. She was up in Japan and couldn't figure out why so much of the Internet wasn't working! I visited her and found the problem and upgraded it for her.

• @Zemm said:

How long has Facebook been doing the browser detection like this? It would have been handy for my sister as she was still (unknowningly) using Firefox 1.0 until March this year. She was up in Japan and couldn't figure out why so much of the Internet wasn't working! I visited her and found the problem and upgraded it for her.

Commandline.org.uk gets some pretty old browsers, including Pre-1.0 versions of firefox, and IE as old as version 2. Some user-agent spoofing may be in effect.

• @scuzzman said:

No, useragent isn't spoofed. The blacked out toolbar is something used internally at my job that I decided didn't need to be shown -- bla bla bla

How dare you use Facebook at work?!

This is what is wrong with this world.

Get back to work right away!

• I'd like to know what kinds of WTF code they have in Facebook to cause the problems they have. Lately nothing but "temporarily unavailable" and "database failure." Previous WTF issues include old notifications not clearing, people posting links which lead to a page saying they haven't posted any links, the same notification showing up many times... I really have to wonder how these bugs can exist, especially so intermittently.

• @Zemm said:

Firefox 1.0 until March this year. She was up in Japan and couldn't figure out why so much of the Internet wasn't working!

That's strange.

Neither Firefox's CSS nor the JS engine have seen significant changes in support since 1.0. They've been updated, yes, but nothing of the sort of changes between IE6, IE7 and IE8. Pages should be working.

• @dhromed said:

They've been updated, yes, but nothing of the sort of changes between IE6, IE7 and IE8. Pages should be working.

Most of Facebook was definitely broken. There were a number of changes between 1.0 and 3.0 otherwise it wouldn't have increased version numbers! Maybe I should install Firefox 1.0 into a VM and see what it does and I'll report back here...

•  @fatdog said:

@scuzzman said:
    No, useragent isn't spoofed. The blacked out toolbar is something used internally at my job that I decided didn't need to be shown -- bla bla bla

How dare you use Facebook at work?!

This is what is wrong with this world.

Get back to work right away!

I'll get right on that the day my boss tells me to stop planning circuits in my head while showering and just take it easy.  

(Yes, sarcasm, I know.)