Vista's Amnesia Strikes Again



  • @tster said:

    I think it means 2 or more in the context it was given.
    It doesn't.  He didn't understand that the many was implied and thus misspoke.  What he said and what is the truth are not the same.@tster said:
    You want to assign adjectives to things which were not given an adjective.
    I'm not assigning shit.  I'm explaining common language as it has been used "for years."

    @tster said:

    Otherwise why would the word "many" exist?
    I cannot even begin to comprehend how stupid one would have to be to think that this is a valid argument.  There are many many instances in common Engblish (and many other languages) where words are understood to be where they aren't.  I've probably used a few in this post. 

    "Sliced thin" ... thin isn't an adverb.  it doesn't describe the slicing, it describes the product of the slicing.  There's an unsaid "to be" in the middle. 

    See how many more you can think of.  Listen to your coworkers.  There are unsaid words everywhere.



  •  I've been posting on this forum for years, and never before have I been in such an asinine argument.



  • @tster said:

     I've been posting on this forum for years, and never before have I been in such an asinine argument.

     

    It reminds me of several long and often heated debates at my organization over whether the website should say "log in", "log on", "sign in", "sign on", "login", "logon", etc.

    At least these guys aren't wasting taxpayer money on this.



  •  ....wow.



  • @tster said:

    I've been posting on this forum for years, and never before have I been in such an asinine argument.

    Yep.  Even if "many" is usually applied, trying to argue that this makes "I've used Vista for years" an incorrect statement is just fucking retarded.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @tster said:
    I've been posting on this forum for years, and never before have I been in such an asinine argument.
    Even if "many" is usually applied, trying to argue that this makes "I've used Vista for years" an incorrect statement is just fucking retarded.
    Words and phrases mean things.  Ignoring or twisting what they mean in order to make a point is underhanded and wrong.  It is not retarded to call people out for misrepresenting the truth.  I don't know why you think it's retarded to condone this.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    @tster said:
    I've been posting on this forum for years, and never before have I been in such an asinine argument.
    Even if "many" is usually applied, trying to argue that this makes "I've used Vista for years" an incorrect statement is just fucking retarded.
    Words and phrases mean things.  Ignoring or twisting what they mean in order to make a point is underhanded and wrong.  It is not retarded to call people out for misrepresenting the truth.  I don't know why you think it's retarded to condone this.

    You've been retarded for many posts.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Words and phrases mean things.  Ignoring or twisting what they mean in order to make a point is underhanded and wrong.  It is not retarded to call people out for misrepresenting the truth.

    So the question arises, why are you attempting to ignore or twist what words mean to make a point?

    Keep in mind, as you formulate your answer for that question, even the poster you are attempting to support does not appear to be claiming the word was inappropriately used after all - D-Coder had merely not realized how much time has past since Vista was released.



  • @tgape said:

    @belgariontheking said:
    Words and phrases mean things.  Ignoring or twisting what they mean in order to make a point is underhanded and wrong.  It is not retarded to call people out for misrepresenting the truth.
    So the question arises, why are you attempting to ignore or twist what words mean to make a point?
    sigh facepalm

    I'm not twisting or ignoring anything.  It's tster and morb and now you that are ignoring common usage of the phrase to make it look like the poster of the post in question was not retarded.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @tgape said:

    @belgariontheking said:
    Words and phrases mean things.  Ignoring or twisting what they mean in order to make a point is underhanded and wrong.  It is not retarded to call people out for misrepresenting the truth.
    So the question arises, why are you attempting to ignore or twist what words mean to make a point?
    sigh facepalm

    I'm not twisting or ignoring anything.  It's tster and morb and now you that are ignoring common usage of the phrase to make it look like the poster of the post in question was not retarded.

     

    This thread has been going on for days...



  • @tster said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    @tgape said:

    @belgariontheking said:
    Words and phrases mean things.  Ignoring or twisting what they mean in order to make a point is underhanded and wrong.  It is not retarded to call people out for misrepresenting the truth.
    So the question arises, why are you attempting to ignore or twist what words mean to make a point?
    sigh facepalm

    I'm not twisting or ignoring anything.  It's tster and morb and now you that are ignoring common usage of the phrase to make it look like the poster of the post in question was not retarded.

     

    This thread has been going on for days...

    You liar!  That implies "hundreds of", which clearly is not true!



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @tster said:
    This thread has been going on for days...
    You liar!  That implies "hundreds of", which clearly is not true!
    I thought it was established earlier in the thread that many meant "five", and yet when he made the comment it was only for four. Unless one assumes zero based indexing and that length then becomes 5, which today being 6 invalidates the thread again.

    Either way I think I just proved that sleep is beneficial. Discuss.



  • lol. I must introduce you guys to the UK English concept of 'a few'.... one of those things you just have to know, because it doesnt translate into any other form of English.

    A few is > 2, usually 3, but can be 5... or rather a lot.

    A few days ago could mean a week or a year ago.

    It's kinda like the Microsoft minute.



  • @Nyquist said:

    A few days ago could mean a week or a year ago
    And in which part of the UK could "a few days ago" imply a year?



  • @PJH said:

    @Nyquist said:
    A few days ago could mean a week or a year ago
    And in which part of the UK could "a few days ago" imply a year?

    That implication normally comes about when your memory is failing.



  • @Zemm said:

    This was Ubuntu (8.04 IIRC).

    That's why I don't like Ubuntu either (or Vista), I don't like it they try to make it the computer tries to think for you instead of allowing you to think for yourself. That's why I would write my own distribution instead.



  • @zzo38 said:

    That's why I don't like Ubuntu either (or Vista), I don't like it they try to make it the computer tries to think for you instead of allowing you to think for yourself. That's why I would write my own distribution instead.
     

     

    That's not Ubuntu's fault.  The Nautilus file manager has a file-extension database which it compares with /etc/magic.

     




  • @Zemm said:

     Vista isn't the only OS that has troubles figuring out what to do with files and folders:

    This was Ubuntu (8.04 IIRC).

    Ah, Ubuntu. Not even Microsoft made an OS that said JavaScript files are dangerous if they start with a comment block because they look like C files. You know those hackers, always trying to get you to open C source code by tricking you into thinking it's something else.



  • @PJH said:

    @Nyquist said:
    A few days ago could mean a week or a year ago
    And in which part of the UK could "a few days ago" imply a year?
     

    yearkshire, clearly



  • @mol1111 said:

    yearkshire
     

     

    Visit  Yearkshire! Where all vowels are silent!



  • @zzo38 said:

    That's why I would write my own distribution instead.



    let me guess, with kernel written in Forth and gopher-like window manager ...



    if you need beta testers, please let me know ...



  • Bad dialogs are the result of either poor assumptions about the content of a file (associating meaning with a user-changeable filename is a bad idea any way you cut it) or errors in programming (unless the "error" was actually intended behavior - but that's a different class of "bug" altogether).

    As for plurals and number systems, I still encourage use of the "attacking wolves" number system (you can substitute any other generally predatory noun for wolves as your preference dicates). The useful values are "none", "one", "two", and "many", because that's all you need to define given they tend to be sufficient to indicate if you can maintain your current activity with ease, with a watchful eye, or if you need to flee (assuming, of course, you're out of weapons and/or ammunition or are otherwise incapable of fending off an attack).



  • @too_many_usernames said:

    assuming, of course, you're out of weapons and/or ammunition or are otherwise incapable of fending off an attack
     

    I only wish micro fusion cores were more plentiful loot around the DC wasteland. Those suckers pack a punch!

    Wolf count is "none", though, so that's a plus. On the other hand, you have giant molerats.



  • @Nyquist said:

    lol. I must introduce you guys to the UK English concept of 'a few'.... one of those things you just have to know, because it doesnt translate into any other form of English.

    A few is > 2, usually 3, but can be 5... or rather a lot.

    A few days ago could mean a week or a year ago.

    It's kinda like the Microsoft minute.

     

    Oh shit, I wish us Americans could be so clever as to use such an amazing concept.

    By the way, "a few days ago" almost never means a week or more.  Normally once you reach the next term you start refering to it by that term. 

     

    For instance, one would have ever say he last ate at McDonalds 50 hours ago, one would say 2 days ago.  Similarly if it has been 6-8 days and you are estimating you wouldn't say "a few" days, you would say "about a" week.



  • @dhromed said:

    @too_many_usernames said:

    assuming, of course, you're out of weapons and/or ammunition or are otherwise incapable of fending off an attack
     

    I only wish micro fusion cores were more plentiful loot around the DC wasteland. Those suckers pack a punch!

     

    Enclave outposts are good sources of these. A surprising number of people sell them, too.



  • @Someone You Know said:

    @dhromed said:

    @too_many_usernames said:

    assuming, of course, you're out of weapons and/or ammunition or are otherwise incapable of fending off an attack
     

    I only wish micro fusion cores were more plentiful loot around the DC wasteland. Those suckers pack a punch!

     

    Enclave outposts are good sources of these. A surprising number of people sell them, too.

    Bstorer's Law: As a TDWTF forum thread grows longer, the probability of it derailing into a conversation about Fallout 3 approaches 1.

    First Corollary: It is usually dhromed's fault.



  • @bstorer said:

    Bstorer's Law: As a TDWTF forum thread grows longer, the probability of it derailing into a conversation about Fallout 3 approaches 1.

    Only exception: Threads started by SpectateSwamp. With SpectateSwamp around, there won't be a nuclear holocaust. He'll dance all that radiation away. And SpectateSwamp can see through them, you know, he once found a mutant skin. And he got the most powerful fall-out shelter: SwampShack™!



  • @derula said:

    @bstorer said:
    Bstorer's Law: As a TDWTF forum thread grows longer, the probability of it derailing into a conversation about Fallout 3 approaches 1.

    Only exception: Threads started by SpectateSwamp. With SpectateSwamp around, there won't be a nuclear holocaust. He'll dance all that radiation away. And SpectateSwamp can see through them, you know, he once found a mutant skin. And he got the most powerful fall-out shelter: SwampShack™!

    Which brings us to btk's law: Any sufficiently long thread on TDWTF will always contain an SSDS joke.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Which brings us to btk's law: Any sufficiently long thread on TDWTF will always contain an SSDS joke.
    Community Server metalaw: Any thread will eventually refer to its limitations.



  • @derula said:

    Only exception: Threads started by SpectateSwamp.
    Wasn't that incident just one huge long thread?



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @derula said:

    @bstorer said:
    Bstorer's Law: As a TDWTF forum thread grows longer, the probability of it derailing into a conversation about Fallout 3 approaches 1.

    Only exception: Threads started by SpectateSwamp. With SpectateSwamp around, there won't be a nuclear holocaust. He'll dance all that radiation away. And SpectateSwamp can see through them, you know, he once found a mutant skin. And he got the most powerful fall-out shelter: SwampShack™!

    Which brings us to btk's law: Any sufficiently long thread on TDWTF will always contain an SSDS joke.

     

    Which brings me to tster's law:  As a TDWTF discussion grows longer, the probability of a law in the style of Godwin's Law being created approaches 1.



  • @PJH said:

    @derula said:
    Only exception: Threads started by SpectateSwamp.
    Wasn't that incident just one huge long thread?

    It was an insanely long thread which had been closed at some point... then another one of also a few pages length IIRC.



  • @derula said:

    @PJH said:
    @derula said:
    Only exception: Threads started by SpectateSwamp.
    Wasn't that incident just one huge long thread?

    It was an insanely long thread which had been closed at some point... then another one of also a few pages length IIRC.

    There were two large ones: Why is Everybody so clueless on the importance of Desktop Search to the Masses? (2512 posts) and Mashup Challenge $100,000 prize - WTF if Spectate Swamp wins? (2377 posts).  There were a few smaller ones, but those are the Big Two.



  • @bstorer said:

    There were a few smaller ones
     

    Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?



  • @upsidedowncreature said:

    @bstorer said:
    There were a few smaller ones
    Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?

    I think a few usually means around 200.



  • @derula said:

    @upsidedowncreature said:
    @bstorer said:
    There were a few smaller ones
    Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?

    I think a few usually means around 200.

    No!  It means precisely 197.  Don't be a fucktard and try to redefine a well-known phrase to whatever you want it to mean.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @derula said:
    @upsidedowncreature said:
    @bstorer said:
    There were a few smaller ones
    Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?
    I think a few usually means around 200.
    No!  It means precisely 197.  Don't be a fucktard and try to redefine a well-known phrase to whatever you want it to mean.

    Why not? Hitler kept calling a "tausendjägriges Reich" (thousand years old Reich) what essentially only lasted for 12 years. It's in my blood.



  • @derula said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    @derula said:
    @upsidedowncreature said:
    @bstorer said:
    There were a few smaller ones
    Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?
    I think a few usually means around 200.
    No!  It means precisely 197.  Don't be a fucktard and try to redefine a well-known phrase to whatever you want it to mean.

    Why not? Hitler kept calling a "tausendjägriges Reich" (thousand years old Reich) what essentially only lasted for 12 years. It's in my blood.

    Hitler also had multiple people killed.



  • @Eternal Density said:

    @derula said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    @derula said:
    @upsidedowncreature said:
    @bstorer said:
    There were a few smaller ones
    Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?
    I think a few usually means around 200.
    No!  It means precisely 197.  Don't be a fucktard and try to redefine a well-known phrase to whatever you want it to mean.

    Why not? Hitler kept calling a "tausendjägriges Reich" (thousand years old Reich) what essentially only lasted for 12 years. It's in my blood.

    Hitler also had multiple peoples killed.

    FTFY



  • @bstorer said:

    @Eternal Density said:
    @derula said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @derula said:
    @upsidedowncreature said:
    @bstorer said:
    There were a few smaller ones
    Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?
    I think a few usually means around 200.
    No!  It means precisely 197.  Don't be a fucktard and try to redefine a well-known phrase to whatever you want it to mean.
    Why not? Hitler kept calling a "tausendjägriges Reich" (thousand years old Reich) what essentially only lasted for 12 years. It's in my blood.
    Hitler also had a few peoples killed.
    FTFY

    FTFTFYFY



  • @derula said:

    @bstorer said:
    @Eternal Density said:
    @derula said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @derula said:
    @upsidedowncreature said:
    Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?
    I think a few usually means around 200.
    [u]It means precisely 197.[/u]  Don't be a fucktard and try to redefine a well-known phrase to whatever you want it to mean.
    Why not? Hitler kept calling a "tausendjägriges Reich" (thousand years old Reich) what essentially only lasted for 12 years. It's in my blood.
    Hitler also had a few peoples killed.
    FTFY
    [b]FTFTFYFY[/b]
    No you didn't. He had his soldiers kill at least 198.



  • @bstorer said:

    Bstorer's Law: As a TDWTF forum thread grows longer, the probability of it derailing into a conversation about Fallout 3 approaches 1.

    First Corollary: It is usually dhromed's fault.

     

    It's decidedly more interesting than discussing plural forms.

    Even more interesting to know is why there is apparently only 1 single plasma rifle out and about in the entire game. I keep repairing it for a few monies, but my repair skill is pretty high, so finding more would be beneficial to the contents of my wallet.

    Slightly more interesting is why this technologically super-advanced rifle is sitting on a goddamn desk in an empty office somewhere in the Citadel, with nobody around to watch it.

    Watch, as in, "to watch it as I straight-facedly take it and put it in my goddamn inventory", that is.



  • @dhromed said:

    Even more interesting to know is why there is apparently only 1 single plasma rifle out and about in the entire game. I keep repairing it for a few monies, but my repair skill is pretty high, so finding more would be beneficial to the contents of my wallet.

     

    If you complete the quest "The Few Replicated Men", you can get your hands on a many much nicer plasma rifles and you will soon be using your old one to repair it them.



  • @drachenstern said:

    @derula said:
    @bstorer said:
    @Eternal Density said:
    @derula said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @derula said:
    @upsidedowncreature said:
    Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?
    I think a few usually means around 200.
    It means precisely 197.  Don't be a fucktard and try to redefine a well-known phrase to whatever you want it to mean.
    Why not? Hitler kept calling a "tausendjägriges Reich" (thousand years old Reich) what essentially only lasted for 12 years. It's in my blood.
    Hitler also had a few peoples killed.
    FTFY
    FTFTFYFY
    No you didn't. He had his soldiers kill at least 198.

    I'm not even sure if there are as many as 198 peoples...



  • @derula said:

    [quote user="drachenstern"][quote user="derula"][quote user="bstorer"][quote user="Eternal Density"][quote user="derula"][quote user="morbiuswilters"][quote user="derula"][quote user="upsidedowncreature"]Hang on, when you say "a few" could we just clarify that please?
    I think a few usually means around 200.[/quote]It means precisely 197.  Don't be a fucktard and try to redefine a well-known phrase to whatever you want it to mean.[/quote]Why not? Hitler kept calling a "tausendjägriges Reich" (thousand years old Reich) what essentially only lasted for 12 years. It's in my blood.[/quote] Hitler also had a few peoples killed.[/quote] FTFY[/quote] FTFTFYFY[/quote] No you didn't. He had his soldiers kill at least 198.[/quote]

    I'm not even sure if there are as many as 198 peoples...[/quote]

    While nobody was looking, Hitler killed 198 peoples. That's as many as 19.8 tens. And that's terrible.



  • @Someone You Know said:

    @dhromed said:

    Even more interesting to know is why there is apparently only 1 single plasma rifle out and about in the entire game. I keep repairing it for a few monies, but my repair skill is pretty high, so finding more would be beneficial to the contents of my wallet.

     

    If you complete the quest "The Few Replicated Men", you can get your hands on a many much nicer plasma rifles and you will soon be using your old one to repair it them.

    Also, the Enclave are your single one-stop shops for acquiring a few many plasma rifles to use as exactly 5 spare parts.



  • We find your pieces of advice helpful, though we must note that we botched the Many Duplicate Redundant Replicated Men quests by giving up the androidses one or several number of part(s) to the couple of guys a small time of minutes too early and eagerly for but a palsy set of sparse quantities of caps.

    We will finish my currently one near-completed level with any fairly insignificant number of points of various minor experiences, grab the health points bonus per singles of health point, secure amounts of perks (1), and then go hunt those Enclave bitches.



  •  See?

    This is fuckloads more entertaining. (metrics)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.