A fun support call

• I answered my phone when I shouldn't have.  It was one of my less saavy customers.  The conversation went something like this:

me:  What can I help you with?

Him:  I got the CD you guys sent me, and I need to copy the files to the server.   [note:  it's a VMS server, so he can't simply pop the CD into the drive]  How do I do that?

Me:  We usually advise people to use ftp because everybody has that.

Him:  Yes, but how?  I mean...  I'm not sure how to ask this...  how do I get the files to the server?

Me:  Well, you connect to it and then transfer the file.  ... have you not used ftp before?

Him:  Yes, but...  I'm not sure what I'm asking.  How do I connect to the server?

Me:  You ftp to it's ip address, just like any other computer.

Him:   No, I mean how...  hmm...  I don't know how to ask this...  not sure what to ask...  hmm...   let me check and see if somebody here can help me figure out how to ask the question.  I'll call you back, okay?

Me:  Sure thing!

The punchline:   this isn't an end user.  He's IT support for the agency.  

• Clearly, his question is "what is the IP address of the server?" And logically from that, his motive is "I'm not really tech support, I'm just an inept hacker trying to get into this system, hehehe..."

• @ekolis said:

Clearly, his question is "what is the IP address of the server?" And logically from that, his motive is "I'm not really tech support, I'm just an inept hacker trying to get into this system, hehehe..."

Social Engeneering for Dummies...