Colubris Configs


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

     Run of the mill WTF. Not entirely helpful when the equipment I'm trying to configure is 570 miles and a sea away.

    As it turned out, the config wasn't entirely as invalid as I was lead to believe.

     Colubris config. Invalid Config File. The configuration file was successfully restored. Restarting...



  •  Does anybody have a clue what the OP is talking about?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @TheRider said:

     Does anybody have a clue what the OP is talking about?
    Was the juxtaposition of "Invalid Config file" and "The (same) configuration file was successfully restored" too difficult for you?



  •  So, what is the WTF? That you fixed someone's typo by restoring a backup version?



  •  Excuse me please. I should have shut up. Just realizing that the first few words in your original post were "run of the mill wtf".



  • I guess it's restoring the previous version of the config file.

    It makes sense that way.



  • That was how I read it. I suppose it could be interpreted as restoring the invalid file...


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @ggeens said:

    I guess it's restoring the previous version of the config file.
    Except it didn't. It used the new config. (Or it at least adopted the version number of the new config and at least one change from it.)

    What's not visible in that screenshot is the UI for performing this operation - the section is labled "Restore Configuration" with a heading of "Manual restore." With a [Browse..] button for a locally stored config file.



  • I work on NMSy stuff. This one is rather dull. You should try something like the Cisco 800, whose main web UI page pops up a login window which pops up a Java applet which will do many of your tasks, but if you try to do a certain set of the tasks, it'll pop up a web browser to take you to an old-style Cisco web-based interface. That was silly-UI fun.

    Also fun: having vendors confuse their 4.9Ghz public-safety-band radios with 5Ghz 802.11a-band radios in the mesh access points they ship you. I won't name names, though. :P



  • @fennec said:

    I work on NMSy stuff. This one is rather dull. You should try something like the Cisco 800, whose main web UI page pops up a login window which pops up a Java applet which will do many of your tasks, but if you try to do a certain set of the tasks, it'll pop up a web browser to take you to an old-style Cisco web-based interface. That was silly-UI fun.

     

    telnet much?



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    telnet much?
     

    Oh, even better. Usually you just ssh admin@device with password 'password'. But for a certain (decently important) manufacturer, instead you get to ssh cli@device without a password, and then get presented with an interactive login prompt for you to type your username and password.

    SSH. Ur doin it rong.



  • @lolwtf said:

    That was how I read it. I suppose it could be interpreted as restoring the invalid file...

    I had that problem with a Win98 PC once, the scanreg check at boot locked itself into a cycle of "Your registry is corrupt. [Restore Backup]" / "Backup restored, rebooting" / "Your registry is corrupt. [Restore Backup]" / "Backup restored, rebooting". Didn't give me any options other than restoring the previous version. After safe-booting into the command prompt I found that scanreg had a /fix option, which worked. Don't know why they couldn't have let you choose that in the first place. Or why it wouldn't keep track of the fact that we tried restoring the previous version last time and it didn't work out so well. But hey, it was Win98 after all.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @fennec said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    telnet much?
     

    Oh, even better. Usually you just ssh admin@device with password 'password'. But for a certain (decently important) manufacturer, instead you get to ssh cli@device without a password, and then get presented with an interactive login prompt for you to type your username and password.

    Assuming, of course, the manufacturer provides such an interface.

    Yes Harting, I'm looking at you.

    (Your configuration interface options: Java web interface, or SNMP.)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.