Combined course WTF



  • I work for a university and we have online course sites for most of our courses. Often times many sections of the same course get combined into a single site. Usually it's two or three sections of the same course, some of the larger general education courses may have five or six. We have a syntax for producing the site's displayed course number to show all the sections it's for.

    If a course site was for 44-460-01, 44-460-02, and 44-660-01 (two sections of 44-460 combined with the graduate 44-660 course, which is exactly the same as 460 except how it goes on transcripts for grad students), the combined course number would be

    44-460-01/02/44-660-01.

    Most course sites end up with numbers such as 04-101-01/02/03.

    While testing a program that reads from our database and generates these combined course numbers, I found this in the output.

    03-498-01/02/03/04/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/21/22/23/24/25/26/27/28/29/30/31/32/20-452-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09/10/44-495-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09/10/11/13/14/15/44-699-01/02/03/04/51-405-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09/10/11/52-425-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09/10/53-425-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/54-415-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13/55-435-05/06/07/08/09/10



  • This would be the induction day "get to know the department" module.



  •  You actually display that 3 line number on the website for users to try and parse?  Or do you just pass that to a script which prettify's it up a bit first? 



  • @Mole said:

     You actually display that 3 line number on the website for users to try and parse?  Or do you just pass that to a script which prettify's it up a bit first? 

     

    Trying to register for class must be a bitch!  Hell, just imagine the course cataloge, 1,000 pages of class listings.  



  • "Imagine: your doctorate in anthropology, after just ONE course!"



  • @mott555 said:

    03-498-01/02/03/04/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/21/22/23/24/25/26/27/28/29/30/31/32/20-452-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09/10/44-495-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09/10/11/13/14/15/44-699-01/02/03/04/51-405-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09/10/11/52-425-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09/10/53-425-01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/54-415-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13/55-435-05/06/07/08/09/10

    If you *have* to go there, let me recommend the following, possibly more legible, syntax:

    03-498-(01->32)/20-452-(01->10)/44-495-(01->15)/44-699-(01->04)/51-405-(01->11)/52-425-(01->10)/53-425-(01->08)/54-415-(06->13)/55-435-(05->10)

    Alternatively, one could also substitute 'a suffusion of yellow' - it would probably make about as much sense as the original.

    That having been said, I would think that the real fix would be separating the common portion out into one site, and then making a bunch of separate sites which reference the common portion.



  • @tgape said:

    If you have to go there, let me recommend the following, possibly more legible, syntax:

    03-498-(01->32)/20-452-(01->10)/44-495-(01->15)/44-699-(01->04)/51-405-(01->11)/52-425-(01->10)/53-425-(01->08)/54-415-(06->13)/55-435-(05->10)

    Alternatively, one could also substitute 'a suffusion of yellow' - it would probably make about as much sense as the original.

    That having been said, I would think that the real fix would be separating the common portion out into one site, and then making a bunch of separate sites which reference the common portion.

     

     

    The site isn't actually ours, it's run by a third party company, so we have very little control over how the site works. Anyway, that messed up course happened to be some wierd special circumstance with summer internship course sites, there were only three course sites like this that we decided to ignore for the purposes of what we were doing at the time. Most course sites are only for two to three sections, where the syntax works great.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.