Gotta love people who don't upgrade

• I browse old posts when I'm bored, and maybe one day I'll have my unread list down to zero.

I found a particularly disturbing old pair of posts which tingled my spam sense.

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/t/2120.aspx

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/t/2121.aspx

I doubt they'll stay up much longer, provided the mods agree with me that they're spam.

@first said:

just wondering if anyone has tried to send something the casual
    courier website.  i've been hearing so much about it, but don't want to
    try it till i know someone who's used it?

www.casualcourier.com[8-|]

@second said:

just wondering if anyone has tried to send something using the casual courier website (www.casualcourier.com). 

i've been hearing so much about it, but don't want to try it until i know someone who has used it already?

The address was a link in the original post.

What did I find when visiting this spammers site?

Server Error in '/www' Application.

<h2> <i>SQL Server does not exist or access denied.</i>&nbsp; </h2></span></blockquote></p><p>Then I peek at the bottom</p><p>@bottom said:<blockquote><font face="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif ">

<b>Version Information:</b>&nbsp;Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2407; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2407

</font>

<!-- 

[SqlException]: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

at System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.CreateConnection()

at System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest()

at System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean& isInTransaction)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.QuietOpen(IDbConnection connection, ConnectionState& originalState)

at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)

at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)

at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable)

at SD.LLBLGen.Pro.ORMSupportClasses.DaoBase.ExecuteMultiRowDataTableRetrievalQuery(IRetrievalQuery queryToExecute, DbDataAdapter dataAdapterToUse, DataTable tableToFill, IEntityFields fieldsToReturn)

at SD.LLBLGen.Pro.ORMSupportClasses.DaoBase.PerformGetMultiAsDataTableAction(IEntityFields fieldsToReturn, DataTable tableToFill, Int64 maxNumberOfItemsToReturn, ISortExpression sortClauses, IPredicate selectFilter, IRelationCollection relations, Boolean allowDuplicates, IGroupByCollection groupByClause, ITransaction transactionToUse, Int32 pageNumber, Int32 pageSize)

at KedemBSD.TccWeb.DAL.DaoClasses.TypedListDAO.GetMultiAsDataTable(IEntityFields fieldsToReturn, DataTable tableToFill, Int64 maxNumberOfItemsToReturn, ISortExpression sortClauses, IPredicate selectFilter, IRelationCollection relations, Boolean allowDuplicates, IGroupByCollection groupByClause, ITransaction transactionToUse, Int32 pageNumber, Int32 pageSize)

at KedemBSD.TccWeb.DAL.TypedViewClasses.VCountriesTypedView.Fill(Int64 maxNumberOfItemsToReturn, ISortExpression sortClauses, Boolean allowDuplicates, IPredicate selectFilter, ITransaction transactionToUse, IGroupByCollection groupByClause, Int32 pageNumber, Int32 pageSize)

at KedemBSD.TccWeb.DAL.TypedViewClasses.VCountriesTypedView.Fill(Int64 maxNumberOfItemsToReturn, ISortExpression sortClauses)

at TccWeb.MasterTemplate.FillCountriesDDLs()

at TccWeb.MasterTemplate.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

[HttpUnhandledException]: Exception of type System.Web.HttpUnhandledException was thrown.

at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

at System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

--><!--

This error page might contain sensitive information because ASP.NET is configured to show verbose error messages using <customErrors mode="Off"/>. Consider using <customErrors mode="On"/> or <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/> in production environments.-->

However, lurking in the shadows,

[quote user="wikipedia"]This is the first major .NET Framework upgrade. It is available on its own as a redistributable package or in a software development kit, and was published on 3 April 2003. [...]Mainstream support for .NET Framework 1.1 ended on 14 October 2008[/quote]

Hooray!

Ok fine, it's a really slow day.  Gimme a break.

•  Think thats bad? Goto Embarcadero and you'll find the exact same version of .NET. When you manage to break the site (not exactly difficult, clicking a link will sometimes do it quite easily) you find out its Delphi.NET. 

• I just thought of this.  How long do you think it's been broken?

• One of the other mods took care of deleting those posts.  Thanks for posting the direct links.

Oh and at my work we (read I) just upgraded a few websites from .net 1.1 to 3.5.  I'd been asking to do this for a while but like a lot of companies, for us it didn't happen till it was unavoidable.  Conversion is a pain in the ass and takes time (if you want to do it right). Especially when one of those sites is a 1000+ page data driven monster!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

TRWTF is that .net 1.1 is still the default when you create a new site in IIS.

• You sure about that? I'd thought Microsoft would have wanted to bury 1.1 underground by now.

• @Dudehole said:

You sure about that? I'd thought Microsoft would have wanted to bury 1.1 underground by now.

I think .NET Framework 1.1 aged very well. If I had to, I would still use my old copy of Visual Sudio .NET 2003 for a project. I can't say the same for Delphi 7 :D

• I wonder if [url=http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/7838/146669.aspx]this guy[/url] have upgraded from Java 1.0 by now.

• In the form "what do you not like about java 6.0" our old friend posts:

Only 1.0.2 work with our codes other java version seem to have many bug.

</div><p></blockquote> </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Referring to him still having V1.0.2 of java and not upgrading to even 1.4.x to this day.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p><a href="http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5114707&amp;messageID=9391704#9391704" target="_blank" mce_href="http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5114707&amp;messageID=9391704#9391704">Here is a reference</a>&nbsp; <br></p>

• @Gabelstaplerfahrer said:

I think .NET Framework 1.1 aged very well. If I had to, I would still use my old copy of Visual Sudio .NET 2003 for a project. I can't say the same for Delphi 7 :D

Hey! I love my Delphi 7! (Okay, the RAD features are lame, but the help file! ♥)

I, for one, despise the fact that they insist on calling Java 5 and 6 "Java 5" and "Java 6"

5.0 does not come immediately after 1.4 - EVER. It's also fun to confuse the hell out of people who haven't been around that long by specifying "Java 1.6" Never mind that fact that we went from "Java 2 1.4" to "Java 5"

In fact, the less I think about Java version numbering, the less I want to kill somebody.

• @Weng said:

I, for one, despise the fact that they insist on calling Java 5 and 6 "Java 5" and "Java 6"

5.0 does not come immediately after 1.4 - EVER. It's also fun to confuse the hell out of people who haven't been around that long by specifying "Java 1.6" Never mind that fact that we went from "Java 2 1.4" to "Java 5"

In fact, the less I think about Java version numbering, the less I want to kill somebody.

I swear we've been over this before, but that's merely the product name.  The actual versioning is consistent:

$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_13"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.3-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

• @bstorer said:

The actual versioning is consistent:

$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_13"

The real fun will be when Sun decides they need to bite the bullet and increase the major, going from Jave 1.11.0_24 to Java 2.0.  For realz.

Yes, I know the real versioning is consistent - but the fucking marketing bullshit just hurts.

• @tgape said:

@bstorer said:

$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_13"

The real fun will be when Sun decides they need to bite the bullet and increase the major, going from Jave 1.11.0_24 to Java 2.0.  For realz.

They're saving that jump for when the language stops sucking.

• @bstorer said:

@tgape said:

@bstorer said:

$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_13"

They're saving that jump for when the language stops sucking.

There are some jumps I'd like Sun to take before then.

@morbiuswilters said:

There are some jumps I'd like Sun to take before then.
    Off a bridge and into the waiting jaws of Oracle? Cuz they've done that.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.