Hardware Question

• This isn't really software-related, but I don't know who else to ask:

I'm running a Tablet PC with Windows XP installed, and I recently bought a bluetooth adapter.  The problem is, whenever the adapter is connected, my Tablet won't go into suspend, with the following error displayed:

"The device driver for the 'RFMD Bluetooth Device' device is preventing the machine from entering standby.  Please close all applications and try again.  If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver."

I'm wondering if there is any way to disable this, because it's incredibly frustrating when I leave my tablet on a counter somewhere (expecting it to suspend after 5 minutes, as per power settings) with 6% battery left and that message displayed.

Thanks in advance.

PS:  I have tried to get newer drivers, and there aren't any new ones.  In fact, you can't even download the drivers that came on the CD from the 'net, because the company who wrote them are *selling* them.

• I have never heard of manufacturers of (more-or-less) commodity hardware *charging* for drivers.  I think you must be mistaken; I just went to a good number of Bluetooth adapter manufacturers and every single one of them had links to free drivers on their product pages.  Maybe you aren't looking hard enough; that or you're dealing with a shady company.

But back to the problem at hand.  After a quick Google search it seems there are a few programs that can cause this behavior, most notably Quicken 2000.  Basically they have some kind of background process that monitors the status of your internet connection.  I guess they don't properly respond to requests to suspend and as a result the computer fails to enter suspend mode.  Try looking at what programs and services start up with your computer.

• I got the Bluetooth adapter for really cheap ($30US), and the only stack that works with it is IVT Corporation's BlueSoleil, which they charge for.  I have tried other stacks, but none of them recognize the adapter.  So yeah, I think I'm dealing with a shady company.

I use this on a Tablet PC, and it doesn't care if I am connected to the internet or not - I can connect/disconnect from wireless and wired networks, and it doesn't seem to care.  It's only when I go into suspend that it starts acting evil.

http://www.ivtcorporation.com/products/bluesuit/index.php

And the worst part is:  the drivers came on one of those mini-cds which don't work on some CD-Rom drives (sideways mounted ones), and take *forever* to read.

• The answer here it to purchase a new, common brand bluetooth adapter.  If the company charges you for updated drivers then you don't want to deal with them.  First this problem.......  then another...... and another.  When will people learn that when you by cheap you get exactly that.... CHEAP shit.