Crazy or Savior: You decide



  • Actually, no, don't.  Just listen to this guy rant.

    http://www.educate-yourself.org/



  • I'll take Crazy people for $1000 thanks Alex.

    Aside from the usual stuff on that guys site I had to laugh when he put forward colloidal silver as the perfect anti-biotic. Yes, colloidal silver is an anit-biotic, but over use of it can lead to Argyria which cause a permanent change in skin colour.

    Meh - what's a minor side effect when your health is better!



  • @OzPeter said:

    Yes, colloidal silver is an anit-biotic, but over use of it can lead to Argyria which cause a permanent change in skin colour.

    I haven't heard of argyria before, but it appears to be harmless and looks pretty cool. It could become a new fad!



  • @Spectre said:

    I haven't heard of argyria before, but it appears to be harmless and looks pretty cool. It could become a new fad!

    As long as your definition of harmless also includes permanent and irreversible.



  •  Chemtrails, 9/11 conspiracy theories and anti-vaccination propaganda..  Sounds fine to me.






  • @OzPeter said:

    @Spectre said:
    I haven't heard of argyria before, but it appears to be harmless and looks pretty cool. It could become a new fad!

    As long as your definition of harmless also includes permanent and irreversible.

    Tattoos are permanent, yet people still do them.



  • That is going alongside www.enterprisemission.com on my list of "kooks, crazies and nutters".

    B



  • @Spectre said:

    Tattoos are permanent, yet people still do them.

    Tattoos aren't a side effect



  • @OzPeter said:

    @Spectre said:
    Tattoos are permanent, yet people still do them.

    Tattoos aren't a side effect

    The real problem here is that colloidal silver is not an antibiotic and has been abandoned as such by medical science for 80 years.  Considering the effectiveness of penicillin and sulfa, there's absolutely no reason to ingest silver.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    The real problem here is that colloidal silver is not an antibiotic

    Citation needed



  • @OzPeter said:

    Citation needed
     

    Here you go, see the citation on wikipedia's 2nd paragraph on the subject:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_silver

    (You'll have to copy-pasta the link yourself, wisinwyg editor won't let me do links and I don't know the format, doesn't seem to be html)



  • Wow.  Today I've been made to feel like I was the crazy one for suggesting that we should abandon the practice of putting multiple bugs on the same ticket.  But this little nugget has restored my faith in my own sanity, and for that I am truly grateful.

     Wibble.



  • @EJ_ said:

    Here you go, see the citation on wikipedia's 2nd paragraph on the subject:

    (You'll have to copy-pasta the link yourself, wisinwyg editor won't let me do links and I don't know the format, doesn't seem to be html)


    You did read that link didn't you? Because I suspect that either you didn't or that English is not your native language.

    "Not" is not synonymous with "Less effective"



  • @OzPeter said:

    @Spectre said:
    Tattoos are permanent, yet people still do them.

    Tattoos aren't a side effect
     

    They are if you've had too much to drink in Mexico.



  • @OzPeter said:

    @EJ_ said:
    Here you go, see the citation on wikipedia's 2nd paragraph on the subject:

    (You'll have to copy-pasta the link yourself, wisinwyg editor won't let me do links and I don't know the format, doesn't seem to be html)


    You did read that link didn't you? Because I suspect that either you didn't or that English is not your native language.

    "Not" is not synonymous with "Less effective"

    I'm not sure where you get your bullshit, but no medical study has ever shown benefit from oral ingestion of silver.  Sloan Kettering's page on silver.

     

    Seriously, you could have found that after a simple Google search.  Don't be lazy.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I'm not sure where you get your bullshit, but no medical study has ever shown benefit from oral ingestion of silver.  Sloan Kettering's page on silver.

     

    Seriously, you could have found that after a simple Google search.  Don't be lazy.


    Even the link you provide says ".. However, silver was replaced by safer therapies in the recent decades. ..".

    Again, "less effective" and/or "not as safe" are not synonymous with "Not". You made the absolute statement of colloidal silver not being an anti-biotic. It is up to you to support that statement with evidence. So far I have not seen any.



  • @OzPeter said:

    You made the absolute statement of colloidal silver not being an anti-biotic. It is up to you to support that statement with evidence. So far I have not seen any.
    Then you should read the Wikipedia article someone linked. It was pretty clear about the lack of evidence supporting that colloidal silver had any real antibacterial properties.



  • @Welbog said:

    It was pretty clear about the lack of evidence supporting that colloidal silver had any real antibacterial properties.

    So the whole section on its use as a disinfectant was what? A conspiracy theory that should be suppressed?



  • @OzPeter said:

    @Welbog said:
    It was pretty clear about the lack of evidence supporting that colloidal silver had any real antibacterial properties.

    So the whole section on its use as a disinfectant was what? A conspiracy theory that should be suppressed?
     

    It was used topically as an antibiotic before the discovery of actual antiobiotics like sulfa.  It has never been shown to work orally as an antibiotic (in fact, it can suppress the effects of real oral antibiotics).  There is ample mention of this in both the Wikipedia article and the page from Sloan-Kettering.



  • @OzPeter said:

    ven the link you provide says ".. However, silver was replaced by safer therapies in the recent decades. ..".

    Again, "less effective" and/or "not as safe" are not synonymous with "Not".

    You have no evidence either.  Just because better things were found doesn't mean that one thing had any use in the first place.  

    I used to use my penis to cut the lawn, but later discovered that there are these things called lawnmowers.



  • @OzPeter said:

    @Welbog said:
    It was pretty clear about the lack of evidence supporting that colloidal silver had any real antibacterial properties.

    So the whole section on its use as a disinfectant was what? A conspiracy theory that should be suppressed?
    There are many disinfectants that are no good orally.  Try drinking Lysol sometime.  Or Pine Sol.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @OzPeter said:

    @Welbog said:
    It was pretty clear about the lack of evidence supporting that colloidal silver had any real antibacterial properties.

    So the whole section on its use as a disinfectant was what? A conspiracy theory that should be suppressed?
    There are many disinfectants that are no good orally.  Try drinking Lysol sometime.  Or Pine Sol.

    Compared to Lysol or alcohol, silver is a mediocre disinfectant, at best.



  •  I picked a topic at random, "Ozone" and found quite a few amusing suggestions.  A highlight:

     

    A second technique is to introduce the ozone directly into the bloodstream
    via intravenous injection. The idea of intravenous injection has raised
    concern with some people concerning the notion of gas embolism which might
    lead to a heart attack or blockage in the lungs
    . Gas embolisms, however,
    do not occur with pure ozone. Air, which is largely composed
    of 80% nitrogen and 20 % oxygen, will create a gas bubble in the blood at
    atmospheric pressure, but not ozone. Nitrogen will create a
    gas bubble in the blood at atmospheric pressure, but not ozone. The
    rate of ozone delivery and the very small needle used to inject
    the ozone, guarantee no possibility of gas embolism. Do not allow this
    bogus fear tactic to keep you from investigating this highly effective and
    safe therapy!

    A third technique is to introduce the ozone gas stream into the colon via
    the rectum (called Rectal Insufflation).

     

    Crazy!



  • @jsbillings said:

    Crazy!
    Whachutalkinboutwillis?  I get my rectal ozone therapy every Friday and am much healthier for it.  It works!  I can't tell you specifically how it works, just that I'm glad the FDA hasn't shut down the dealer I go to in the alley downtown.



  • @jsbillings said:

    A third technique is to introduce the ozone gas stream into the colon via
    the rectum (called Rectal Insufflation).

    Rectal Insufflation: cause of--and cure to--HIV.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    @OzPeter said:

    @Welbog said:
    It was pretty clear about the lack of evidence supporting that colloidal silver had any real antibacterial properties.

    So the whole section on its use as a disinfectant was what? A conspiracy theory that should be suppressed?
    There are many disinfectants that are no good orally.  Try drinking Lysol sometime.  Or Pine Sol.

    Compared to Lysol or alcohol, silver is a mediocre disinfectant, at best.

    Plus, it doesn't taste as good.



  • Any heavy metal ingestion is tough on the liver and kidneys.  In general, you'd want to avoid that sort of thing.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    The real problem here is that colloidal silver is not an antibiotic

    @morbiuswilters said:
    It was used topically as an antibiotic

    Make up your mind



  • @OzPeter said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    The real problem here is that colloidal silver is not an antibiotic

    @morbiuswilters said:
    It was used topically as an antibiotic

    Make up your mind

    "Used as" does not mean it was actually successful in this capacity, considering this was 80 years ago before real antibiotics had been invented.  Additionally, you don't seem to understand the meanings of "orally" and "topically".  Since this entire discussion has been about ingesting colloidal silver, the topical uses in the early 20th century would have no bearing on the discussion.



  • @jsbillings said:

    Rectal Insufflation
     

     

    yea thx that tea tasted SO much better through my NOSE.

     lawlz.

     



  • Guys, I think we need to all step back and not get any more flamewar-y about this.  Can we at least agree that we should not ingest silver, but rather save it to stave off the eventual vampire invasion?



  • @OzPeter said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    The real problem here is that colloidal silver is not an antibiotic

    @morbiuswilters said:
    It was used topically as an antibiotic

    Make up your mind
     

    Morb's phrases do not contradict.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    I used to use my penis to cut the lawn
     

    Rectal sorry, Mental images featuring your fast-rotating, thread-like penis haunt my already sleepless nights.

     thx alot.

     

    bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz



  • @belgariontheking said:

    save it to stave off the eventual vampire invasion?
     

    We can use your thrashing, flagellate member for this.



  • @mrprogguy said:

    Any heavy metal ingestion is tough on the liver and kidneys.  In general, you'd want to avoid that sort of thing.

     

     

     

    Agreed.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Guys, I think we need to all step back and not get any more flamewar-y about this.  Can we at least agree that we should not ingest silver, but rather save it to stave off the eventual vampire invasion?

    Agreed.  Garlic is far safer for ingestion as internal protection against vampires.  If you are concerned about antibiotics, do as I do and maintain a healthy 0.4 or higher BAC.  Alcohol is definitely more effective at killing microbes than silver.



  • Is this "SpectateSwamp, the comeback. You thought we finally won, but he has risen from the ashes of Desktop Searching!" ?



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Guys, I think we need to all step back and not get any more flamewar-y about this.  Can we at least agree that we should not ingest silver, but rather save it to stave off the eventual vampire invasion?

    Agreed.  Garlic is far safer for ingestion as internal protection against vampires.  If you are concerned about antibiotics, do as I do and maintain a healthy 0.4 or higher BAC.  Alcohol is definitely more effective at killing microbes than silver.

     

    Which is why I ingest one bottle of vodka per day... To keep my health up. Livers regenerate right?



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Alcohol is definitely more effective at killing microbes than silver.
    Also effective: guns with tiny bullets. I recommend them because it gives the process that personal touch so lacking from modern health care.



  • @astonerbum said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Guys, I think we need to all step back and not get any more flamewar-y about this.  Can we at least agree that we should not ingest silver, but rather save it to stave off the eventual vampire invasion?

    Agreed.  Garlic is far safer for ingestion as internal protection against vampires.  If you are concerned about antibiotics, do as I do and maintain a healthy 0.4 or higher BAC.  Alcohol is definitely more effective at killing microbes than silver.

     

    Which is why I ingest one bottle of vodka per day... To keep my health up. Livers regenerate right?

    Bah!... I completely replaced my blood stream with a mixture of Grey goose and Petrone!  While expensive in the short term now I never have to worry about my health again!


  • @galgorah said:

    @astonerbum said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Guys, I think we need to all step back and not get any more flamewar-y about this.  Can we at least agree that we should not ingest silver, but rather save it to stave off the eventual vampire invasion?

    Agreed.  Garlic is far safer for ingestion as internal protection against vampires.  If you are concerned about antibiotics, do as I do and maintain a healthy 0.4 or higher BAC.  Alcohol is definitely more effective at killing microbes than silver.

     

    Which is why I ingest one bottle of vodka per day... To keep my health up. Livers regenerate right?

    Bah!... I completely replaced my blood stream with a mixture of Grey goose and Petrone!  While expensive in the short term now I never have to worry about my health again!
    Actually, this should be pretty effective against vampires.  And once the alcohol kills all of your brain cells, zombies, too!


  • @bstorer said:

    @galgorah said:

    @astonerbum said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Guys, I think we need to all step back and not get any more flamewar-y about this.  Can we at least agree that we should not ingest silver, but rather save it to stave off the eventual vampire invasion?

    Agreed.  Garlic is far safer for ingestion as internal protection against vampires.  If you are concerned about antibiotics, do as I do and maintain a healthy 0.4 or higher BAC.  Alcohol is definitely more effective at killing microbes than silver.

     

    Which is why I ingest one bottle of vodka per day... To keep my health up. Livers regenerate right?

    Bah!... I completely replaced my blood stream with a mixture of Grey goose and Petrone!  While expensive in the short term now I never have to worry about my health again!
    Actually, this should be pretty effective against vampires.  And once the alcohol kills all of your brain cells, zombies, too!
    It is but unfortunately hobos keepfollowing me around while clutching straws.  I was also considering downgrading to cossack and jose cuervo. It's cheaper.


  • @morbiuswilters said:

    "Used as" does not mean it was actually successful in this capacity, considering this was 80 years ago before real antibiotics had been invented.  Additionally, you don't seem to understand the meanings of "orally" and "topically".  Since this entire discussion has been about ingesting colloidal silver, the topical uses in the early 20th century would have no bearing on the discussion.

    To break this paragraph down:

    1. "Used as" does not mean it was actually successful in this capacity, [Vague statement implying fact, but unsupported by evidence.]
    2. considering this was 80 years ago before real antibiotics had been invented. [Attempt to support first part with untrue "fact" - Penicillin widely used in mid 1940's.]
    3. Additionally, you don't seem to understand the meanings of "orally" and "topically" [Assumption - no proof put forward; elements of Ad hominem and/or Appeal to ridicule
    4. Since this entire discussion has been about ingesting colloidal silver, [Assumption couched as Authoritative statement ]
    5. the topical uses in the early 20th century would have no bearing on the discussion. [ Circular reasoning to support previous phrase ]


  • @OzPeter said:

    To break this paragraph down
     

    But why?



  • @dhromed said:

    @OzPeter said:

    To break this paragraph down
     

    But why?

    Because he can't admit he was wrong?



  • @OzPeter said:

    "Used as" does not mean it was actually successful in this capacity, [Vague statement implying fact, but unsupported by evidence.]

    Check out the links provided.  There is no evidence supporting its use as a topical antibiotic.

     

    @OzPeter said:

    considering this was 80 years ago before real antibiotics had been invented. [Attempt to support first part with untrue "fact" - Penicillin widely used in mid 1940's.]

    Sulfa was invented in 1932.

     

    @OzPeter said:

    Additionally, you don't seem to understand the meanings of "orally" and "topically" [Assumption - no proof put forward; elements of Ad hominem and/or Appeal to ridicule

    It's actually relevent.  The entire original point was oral ingestion of colloidal silver, not topical use.  You tried to point out a contradiction in my statements, even though one statement was about topical use and the other about oral.  Either you are disingenuous or ignorant.  I consider the latter to be less insulting, so I went with it.

     

    @OzPeter said:

    Since this entire discussion has been about ingesting colloidal silver, [Assumption couched as Authoritative statement ]

    Actually, no.  Re-read my comments and your own.  Oral ingestion is what the website was advocating.  Oral ingestion is what causes skin discoloration and kidney failure.  Oral ingestion is what has been repeatedly shown to not have any antibiotic effect.  You can keep trying to throw up red herrings, but it's rather sad.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @galgorah said:

    Petrone
    I know it's pronounced like that, but it's spelled "Patrón" - every other bar on earth spells it "Petrone" because they don't understand how to type accents. The rest just put "Patron" on there and expect people to know how it's pronounced.

    Furthermore, whoever gave the world the idea that Patrón is some sort of top shelf tequila needs to fuck off - yes, it's expensive as all fuck, but there are better quality brands out there. The best part is that I can walk up to the shelf at the liquor store and actually pick up a bottle, rather than having to do what the signs say and "Ask a sales associate for assistance with Patron products". I'm fairly certain the only reason people think this shit is anything special is because the bottles are "handmade" and it costs a small fortune.

    In conclusion, I would also like to pose the question - is there truly such a thing as top shelf Tequila?  No matter how high up the price scale or the quality scale you go, it still serves only one purpose - to make mixed drinks taste foul and to make the ladies lose any and all inhibition.



  • @Weng said:

    is there truly such a thing as top shelf Tequila?
    Having worked in a Mexican restaurant and having been asked to make the best margarita possible for guests, the answer for which I had to consult with actual tequila drinkers, I can say that the best tequila (we had) is Tres Generations.  

    We considered there to be three levels of tequila.  Silver, Reposado, and anejo.   Silver is aged very short or not at all, and is clear in color.  Reposado is aged two months to two years, and anejo is aged 1+ years.  Silver tends to be absolute crap (not that that prevented us from using it extensively), reposado is middling, generally good for margaritas, and anejo was the extra smooth, sipping tequila (Patron, Tres Generations, Don Julio).  Wikpedia further subdivides what I've just told you.

    And to get girls drunk, use Coconut rum.  It's worth every penny.

    Jim Breuer had a great bit on drinking:  http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=8359099 (pardon the myspace ... look here for a version you can watch at work if that's blocked).



  • @Weng said:

    @galgorah said:

    Petrone
    I know it's pronounced like that, but it's spelled "Patrón" - every other bar on earth spells it "Petrone" because they don't understand how to type accents. The rest just put "Patron" on there and expect people to know how it's pronounced.

    Furthermore, whoever gave the world the idea that Patrón is some sort of top shelf tequila needs to fuck off - yes, it's expensive as all fuck, but there are better quality brands out there. The best part is that I can walk up to the shelf at the liquor store and actually pick up a bottle, rather than having to do what the signs say and "Ask a sales associate for assistance with Patron products". I'm fairly certain the only reason people think this shit is anything special is because the bottles are "handmade" and it costs a small fortune.

    In conclusion, I would also like to pose the question - is there truly such a thing as top shelf Tequila?  No matter how high up the price scale or the quality scale you go, it still serves only one purpose - to make mixed drinks taste foul and to make the ladies lose any and all inhibition.

    I've never once had to get a sales associate to grab a bottle of patrone for me. It's always on the shelf.  I prefer it because it gives me less of a hangover in the morning.  Which, when you drink as much as I do is very noticable. As far as drinks go though vodka is my first choice...Then tequilla..

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.