Strangest Hardware Swapout Ever.



  • One of our cleanroom techs handed me a keyboard on Monday morning looking for a replacement; this one was covered in what he assured me was just vaseline.  Slow weekend in the production area I asked, not keen to touch it.  Apparently, there had been a problem with the air handling unit over the weekend and the temperature in the cleanroom had risen steadily to 38C. That's a degree above body temperature and that's the melting point of vaseline which is used to seal the air gaps around the ceiling tiles.  Or so he claimed...



  • Ironically, the guy is right, vaseline starts melting at 36 degrees C, says ilo.org .That said, for exactly the same reason, the use of vaseline as a sealant is complete bullshit. Please tell me where that is located at, just so that I know where not to go.



  •  Perfectly normal for sealing around filters etc in cleanroom environments I'm reliably informed; keeps contaminants out.



  •  I'm far from a DIY expert, but isn't that what silicone's for?



  • @DOA said:

     I'm far from a DIY expert, but isn't that what silicone's for?

    The correct solution is to use a gasketed suspension system designed for clean rooms.



  •  @DOA said:

     I'm far from a DIY expert, but isn't that what silicone's for?


    Exactly what I thought, especially since silicone has a higher density (= higher stress/strain moduli), greater viscosity (= better glu), and a greater melting point. I mean, come on, if girls put vaseline on their lips, it's probably not to be used on ducts.



  • I might be able to beat this one...A long-time ago, at a company far, far away...

    We had a technician who was analyzing urine samples and spilled one onto her keyboard in the lab.  Since the terminal was still under warranty we called in the company (Data General) to replace it.  We had to say that it "just stopped working" so they would replace it for free... We did feel bad that the guy who replaced it was just handling it like normal.



  • @Auction_God said:

    I might be able to beat this one...A long-time ago, at a company far, far away...

    We had a technician who was analyzing urine samples and spilled one onto her keyboard in the lab.  Since the terminal was still under warranty we called in the company (Data General) to replace it.  We had to say that it "just stopped working" so they would replace it for free... We did feel bad that the guy who replaced it was just handling it like normal.

    Allowing employees of the company come into contact with biohazardous bodily fluids just so you guys didn't have to pay for a new keyboard?  That sounds incredibly ethical and legal.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Allowing employees of the company come into contact with biohazardous bodily fluids just so you guys didn't have to pay for a new keyboard?  That sounds incredibly ethical and legal.

    Urine is sterile - not really a biohazard.



  • @Auction_God said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Allowing employees of the company come into contact with biohazardous bodily fluids just so you guys didn't have to pay for a new keyboard?  That sounds incredibly ethical and legal.

    Urine is sterile - not really a biohazard.

    Urine is usually sterile when it is in the bladder.  Of course, if a person is ill (which seems somewhat likely given they are taking a urine test) there may be nasties in the urine, including trace amounts of blood which aren't visible to the naked eye.  And once urine exits the body it quickly becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.  Although not technically a biohazard, contact with urine that has been outside the body for some time can be potentially dangerous.  I would think lab employees would be more careful.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Urine is usually sterile when it is in the bladder.  Of course, if a person is ill (which seems somewhat likely given they are taking a urine test) there may be nasties in the urine, including trace amounts of blood which aren't visible to the naked eye.  And once urine exits the body it quickly becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.  Although not technically a biohazard, contact with urine that has been outside the body for some time can be potentially dangerous.
    The Internet is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.



  • @anima said:

    Ironically, the guy is right, vaseline starts melting at 36 degrees C, says ilo.org.

    Being correct is ironic now?

    Oh wait, no, IT ISN'T.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    And once urine exits the body it quickly becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. 
     

    Yes, because everyone knowns urine contains all of those components essential to bacterial growth: 1. A carbon source like sugar (only if you're diabetic) 2. water (yes, it does contains that) 3. Salts (A little bit but the body tendsto salvage what it can) and 4. Protein or amino acids (I don't know any case where that could be).

    Let's all pee in a jar and sell it to labs so they don't need the expensive growth mediums anymore!

     

    Urine stinks, but thats about the most dangerous property it has...

     



  • @dtech said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    And once urine exits the body it quickly becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. 
     

    Yes, because everyone knowns urine contains all of those components essential to bacterial growth: 1. A carbon source like sugar (only if you're diabetic) 2. water (yes, it does contains that) 3. Salts (A little bit but the body tendsto salvage what it can) and 4. Protein or amino acids (I don't know any case where that could be).

    Let's all pee in a jar and sell it to labs so they don't need the expensive growth mediums anymore!

     

    Urine stinks, but thats about the most dangerous property it has...

    facepalm

     

    Urea is one of the primary wastes that is eliminated in urine, which you didn't even mention.  (And obviously urine contains water.  Who thinks it doesn't?)  Urea is broken down to ammonia by several common bacteria.  Have you ever heard of a urinary tract infection?  That's caused by bacteria taking hold within the urinary tract.



  •  If this person has Hepatitis, or HIV, and small particles of blood are in the urine, HIV/Hepatitis could in theory be transmitted to another person. This is unlikely, but could happen.



  • @Marine said:

    If this person has Hepatitis, or HIV, and small particles of blood are in the urine, HIV/Hepatitis could in theory be transmitted to another person. This is unlikely, but could happen.

    Right.  The fact is, I wouldn't think it's responsible or decent for anyone to let another person handle urine-soaked equipment without their knowledge.  Especially in a lab setting where the employees should be knowledgeable and cautious and the urine is most likely coming from sick people.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

     Guys. Data General. The ABSOLUTE latest this could be was 1999, the more likely dates are in the 60's 70's and 80's - hardly the most health and safety conscious times, and HIV hadn't even been DISCOVERED until 1983 anyway.



  • @Weng said:

    Guys. Data General. The ABSOLUTE latest this could be was 1999, the more likely dates are in the 60's 70's and 80's - hardly the most health and safety conscious times, and HIV hadn't even been DISCOVERED invented by the CIA until 1983 anyway.

    FTFY.

    As far as your point: I'll grant you that maybe in the 60s, 70s and early 80s nobody knew about germs and that piss-soaked office equipment was the norm.  I wasn't alive yet, so I really have no way of knowing.



  • Are there any things I could be pissing on right now to obtain free warranty replacements? This thread presents a real money saving opportunity.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I'll grant you that maybe in the 60s, 70s and early 80s nobody knew about germs and that piss-soaked office equipment was the norm.  I wasn't alive yet, so I really have no way of knowing.
     

    My mom kinda always smelled funny when she got home when I was a kid.

     

    Hm.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @Marine said:

    If this person has Hepatitis, or HIV, and small particles of blood are in the urine, HIV/Hepatitis could in theory be transmitted to another person. This is unlikely, but could happen.

    Right.  The fact is, I wouldn't think it's responsible or decent for anyone to let another person handle urine-soaked equipment without their knowledge.  Especially in a lab setting where the employees should be knowledgeable and cautious and the urine is most likely coming from sick people.

     Exactly.



  • @Dudehole said:

    Are there any things I could be pissing on right now to obtain free warranty replacements? This thread presents a real money saving opportunity.
    Try your toaster.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @Weng said:

    Guys. Data General. The ABSOLUTE latest this could be was 1999, the more likely dates are in the 60's 70's and 80's - hardly the most health and safety conscious times, and HIV hadn't even been DISCOVERED invented by the CIA until 1983 anyway.

    FTFY.

    As far as your point: I'll grant you that maybe in the 60s, 70s and early 80s nobody knew about germs and that piss-soaked office equipment was the norm.  I wasn't alive yet, so I really have no way of knowing.

    You told me you had no beginning and no end!  I'm starting to think you aren't really a diety at all...



  • @anima said:

    Ironically, the guy is right, vaseline starts melting at 36 degrees C, says ilo.org .That said, for exactly the same reason, the use of vaseline as a sealant is complete bullshit. Please tell me where that is located at, just so that I know where not to go.

     

    Its funny, we actually have a substance worse at sealing than duct tape.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @Dudehole said:

    Are there any things I could be pissing on right now to obtain free warranty replacements? This thread presents a real money saving opportunity.
    Try your toaster.

     

    Ow!

    Thats some bad advice bel. Im suing you.



  • @astonerbum said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    @Dudehole said:

    Are there any things I could be pissing on right now to obtain free warranty replacements? This thread presents a real money saving opportunity.
    Try your toaster.

     

    Ow!

    Thats some bad advice bel. Im suing you.

    You must have been doing it wrong.  Make sure it's plugged in and that you're standing in a bathtub full of water -- preferably salt water.



  • @bstorer said:

     You must have been doing it wrong.  Make sure it's plugged in and that you're standing in a bathtub full of water -- preferably salt water.

     

    O I'll try tonight. Let you know how it goes tomorrow!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.