NBC French Open LIVE!



  • I tuned in to NBC this morning to watch the French Open tennis championship. It looks like a great match, and it's LIVE so I don't have to worry about accidently learning the outcome if I browse the Web while I watch.

    Wait, isn't the French Open played on clay, not grass? And isn't Federer playing some other guy, not Nadal? Hey, this looks like Wimbeldon! The final game from 2008, I'd say. That's a strange definition of "LIVE" that NBC is using.



  • I really don't see what the wtf is here.

    Edit:

    Never mind. I don't follow tennis, and a quick check of the BBC sport website explained it.



  • @RoadieRich said:

    I really don't see what the wtf is here.

    Edit:

    Never mind. I don't follow tennis, and a quick check of the BBC sport website explained it.

    Is it because it's not a big pile of naked men sucking each other off?  Because that's what tennis is, right?



  • @AlpineR said:

    Wait, isn't the French Open played on clay, not grass? And isn't Federer playing some other guy, not Nadal? Hey, this looks like Wimbeldon! The final game from 2008, I'd say. That's a strange definition of "LIVE" that NBC is using.

    This probably explains it... For some reason Opera decided to cut this paragraph off. Posted here for other opera users' convenience.



  • TRWTF is Opera.



  • @RoadieRich said:

    @AlpineR said:

    Wait, isn't the French Open played on clay, not grass? And isn't Federer playing some other guy, not Nadal? Hey, this looks like Wimbeldon! The final game from 2008, I'd say. That's a strange definition of "LIVE" that NBC is using.

    This probably explains it... For some reason Opera decided to cut this paragraph off. Posted here for other opera users' convenience.

     

     

    Check the far right of the image. I bet you will see your missing paragraph.



  • @movzx said:

    Check the far right of the image. I bet you will see your missing paragraph.

    Only if your browser window is wide enough.

    Note for the curious, it's due to align="left" on an excessively wide image, when there is clearly not enough space for it to fit. There is no spec for how to handle align="left/right", since it's defined in HTML and not backed up in CSS at all. So browsers are just left to do what they think works best for the Web (which in general, because of it's dominance, means "do what IE does" - this includes automatic table layout as well). Firefox is trying to map it directly to CSS float. IE makes a sortof sticky float, where following content can stick to the side of it, even if there is not enough space. Opera does what IE does here. Safari copies Firefox. Isn't it nice to see such consistency on the Web, eh?



  •  TRWTF is people caring about who's best at hitting a ball with a paddle.



  • What happened is simple, Federer won the match and the championship in 3 straight sets. NBC had over an hour's worth of alloted time for the event, so they had to fill it with something, so they started showing last year's Wimbleton.

    The Real WTF here is morons who feel it's their right, nay, their perogative, to bash sports, people who like them or people who play them.



  • @Brother Laz said:

     TRWTF is people caring about who's best at hitting a ball with a paddle.
     

    Last time I checked there's a difference between a racquet and a paddle.  They are called strings.



  • "Isn't tennis the one where the chicks whale on each other"

    "That's foxy boxing."

    "YES! THAT'S what I wanted!"



  • @JamesKilton said:

    The Real WTF here is morons who feel it's their right, nay, their perogative, to bash sports, people who like them or people who play them.

    Since when is it not my right to deride things I find stupid?  That's, like, the 19th Amendment or something.



  •  @morbiuswilters said:

    Since when is it not my right to deride things I find stupid?  That's, like, the 19th Amendment or something.

     Morbius already stated what tennis would have to be for him to watch (the naked man-pile orgy). I wonder what you expect the women tennis players to do then? Bring them refreshing drinks?



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    That's, like, the 19th Amendment or something.
    Close.  It's the 2nd article of the Declaration of rights on the internet.  It's a sub-paragraph of the article which says "I shall be completely free to express my opinion however I desire provided it's not racist in some way.

    What I always found interesting is that sexism is completely allowed.  Same for mocking the stupid and those that have died from AIDS and cancer.  The internet is a strange place.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    Same for mocking the stupid and those that have died from AIDS and cancer.

    Same thing.  Smart people don't die of those diseases because they avoid pissing off the CIA and put on their Illuminati-issued gas masks when the chemtrails are being sprayed.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @RoadieRich said:

    I really don't see what the wtf is here. Edit: Never mind. I don't follow tennis, and a quick check of the BBC sport website explained it.

    Is it because it's not a big pile of naked men sucking each other off?  Because that's what tennis is, right?

     Re "Filed under "Tennis is Gay"":

     Another reason I like to watch it!



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    Same for mocking the stupid and those that have died from AIDS and cancer.

    Same thing.  Smart people don't die of those diseases because they avoid pissing off the CIA and put on their Illuminati-issued gas masks when the chemtrails are being sprayed.

    Quiet!  The idiots might hear you!



  • @JamesKilton said:

    What happened is simple, Federer won the match and the championship in 3 straight sets. NBC had over an hour's worth of alloted time for the event, so they had to fill it with something, so they started showing last year's Wimbleton.

    That would be perfectly sensible except for one thing: the bright yellow "LIVE" pasted on the screen during the replay. And the lack of any marking that it was in fact not live but a replay. And the audio of announcers calling the game live.

    The other problem was that the picture and sound were perfectly clear. In the old analog days, a recorded game would look blurrier than one broadcast live, especially if the tape had been on the shelf for a year. So even with a false "LIVE" label you'd have a good clue that it was Memorex.



  •  As far as I can tell, the 'Live' logo is always burned into the final recording, and is part of the scoring / HUD elements. It's kind of like the people who put up signs saying, "-> GARAGE SALE TODAY" ... Hey, it's a garage sale! And as luck would have it, today is today, so it's today!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.