"Share and Enjoy" the sounds of the chemist.



  •  I thought I had shared this one with you all.

    I while back, while doing some tech in a chemist, I was working beside the Kodak photo printer. It sat there repeating it's speel ("The Kodak image whatever is easy to use. It is so easy to use, you can do it all yourself") Constantly, quite a short loop, that left me wondering how the staff maintained their sanity, and whether Sirius Cybernetics had a hand in its design.

    Someone else must have had the same thought. There, in the midst of the speel, was a "Message from Fred".

     "Share and enjoy your photos with all your friends."

    Not that it made it worth listening to....

    I returned to that shop to do some more work last month. Unsuprisingly, the machine was turned off.



  • A long time ago I worked on the checkout of a large home improvement chain. For the entire four years, right next to the checkouts was this bloody 1m 30s looping video of the Dremel Multitool, featuring the voiceover artist from hell. It was only ever switched off when the shop was closed. By the time I left, I could recite the thing word for word, and probably did so in my sleep too...

    Thankfully, that was almost 10 years ago that I left, and somehow I've managed to forget the words! :-)

    The people that create these monstrosities do so for a quick marketing tool to try to entice the passing customer, unfortunately they don't consider the sanity (or lack thereof) of the staff that have to listen to it 8 hours a day...



  • @MeesterTurner said:

    The people that create these monstrosities do so for a quick marketing tool to try to entice the passing customer, unfortunately they don't consider the sanity (or lack thereof) of the staff that have to listen to it 8 hours a day...
    As s customer, I resent the intrusion into my quiet time (as quiet as waiting in a checkout line can be, anyway).  We're bombarded by unsolicited information all day long;after a while it gets to the point of overload.  Now fuel pumps have talking advertisments that kick off when you start the pump.  Thankfully, they have a mute button (which takes effect about five seconds after you press it); otherwise I might be guilty of vandalism.



  • A local gas/petrol station has electronic cash registers that make the most annoying sounds on every transaction. I can only guess that the staff there have developed an auditory blind spot to that continual noise.

    An ex-gf worked retail in a mall and one Christmas there was a small stall outside their store. This stall had a dancing/singing Santa doll that repeated the same songs over and over again. There was a lot of talk about kidnapping and torturing that doll.



  •  The Sony Building in Tokyo had a tight loop video on a new pocket computer, which was 20 secs or so. Something about put it in your pocket. (FWIW I played with the thing. It ran Vista and took 3 seconds to respond to Win+R, then took 7 seconds to load Notepad! They wanted over 90,000 Yen for it)



  • Gas/petrol station

    "A local gas/petrol station has electronic cash registers that make the most annoying sounds on every transaction. I can only guess that the staff there have developed an auditory blind spot to that continual noise."

    Does the name sound like a couple of dying giraffes?

    "Ready to fuel"

     

     



  • @Benanov said:

    "A local gas/petrol station has electronic cash registers that make the
    most annoying sounds on every transaction. I can only guess that the
    staff there have developed an auditory blind spot to that continual
    noise."

    Does the name sound like a couple of dying giraffes?

    "Ready to fuel"

     

     


    If Wa-Wa Sounds like a dying giraffe then yes.



  • @Zemm said:

     The Sony Building in Tokyo had a tight loop video on a new pocket computer, which was 20 secs or so. Something about put it in your pocket.

    Criminy, even computer ads have perverse undertones.  Thanks, Japan!


    (FWIW I played with the thing. It ran Vista and took 3 seconds to respond to Win+R, then took 7 seconds to load Notepad! They wanted over 90,000 Yen for it)


    What do you expect for 4 bucks?



  • @OzPeter said:

    If Wa-Wa Sounds like a dying giraffe then yes.
    TRWTF is that the gas station's website has a shop online link with at least 15 different Wa-Wa t-shirts and other crap. Seriously, from a gas station?



  • If you don't understand why Wa-Wa sells T-shirts online, you apparently need an introduction to Pennsylvania: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl3jK8NCLFc


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

     I can personally verify that every single item in that song is correct - though the exact gas station/ubermarket (and they all have delicious food) varies regionally. WaWa is primarily Lancaster County and east. Sheetz in York County and west. No clue what it is up in northern half of the state (nor do I have any particular desire to ever find out) or way west towards The Pit.

     

    ... I hate that bloody state. I'm so glad I live across the border in Maryland and only have to deal with it 16 hours out of the day.



  • @Weng said:

     I can personally verify that every single item in that song is correct - though the exact gas station/ubermarket (and they all have delicious food) varies regionally. WaWa is primarily Lancaster County and east. Sheetz in York County and west. No clue what it is up in northern half of the state (nor do I have any particular desire to ever find out) or way west towards The Pit.
    Let us not forget the trucker's oasis, Flying J.



  • @Weng said:

    I can personally verify that every single item in that song is correct - though the exact gas station/ubermarket (and they all have delicious food) varies regionally. WaWa is primarily Lancaster County and east. Sheetz in York County and west. No clue what it is up in northern half of the state (nor do I have any particular desire to ever find out) or way west towards The Pit.

    I recall a small, local chain by the name of "BP" outside of Pittsburgh.



  • @teqman said:

    If you don't understand why Wa-Wa sells T-shirts online, you apparently need an introduction to Pennsylvania: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl3jK8NCLFc[/url]
    Wow, that was interesting... Pennsylvania reaches out in an attempt to become like Texas/California/Florida/New York.

    Note the use of the BBCode url tags in my post. 


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @bstorer said:

    Let us not forget the trucker's oasis, Flying J.
    You know, my day job (which has really fucked off and died thanks to the horrible economy - we've put the entire company into deep freeze, which thank god is possible because we own all our assets outright) is as a sort of "executive" for an environmental company myself and a few other guys founded specializing in disk sanitization and the full service removal out outdated electronics (and then the secure, environmentally friendly disposal of such - I prefer to call this the "dirty, manly side of IT"). One of my responsibilities involves driving the truck around the country. I've never actually managed to stop at a Flying J - and if scrap pricing doesn't get off its ass and bounce back, it'll be awhile before I get a chance to do so.



  •  Thankfully the worst I've been subjected to was christmas lights playing a jingle over and over again and that was in the army of all place. Guard duty inside the barracks 5m from the christmas tree for a total of 6 hours a day. I had to walk over and switch it off after a while.



  • @Weng said:

    @bstorer said:

    Let us not forget the trucker's oasis, Flying J.
    You know, my day job (which has really fucked off and died thanks to the horrible economy - we've put the entire company into deep freeze, which thank god is possible because we own all our assets outright) is as a sort of "executive" for an environmental company myself and a few other guys founded specializing in disk sanitization and the full service removal out outdated electronics (and then the secure, environmentally friendly disposal of such - I prefer to call this the "dirty, manly side of IT"). One of my responsibilities involves driving the truck around the country. I've never actually managed to stop at a Flying J - and if scrap pricing doesn't get off its ass and bounce back, it'll be awhile before I get a chance to do so.

    Okay, I've read this five times, and I still don't have a clue what you're talking about.  Wnat... are you driving a garbage truck around the neighborhood looking for a place to dump old hard drives?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

     @Code Dependent said:

    Okay, I've read this five times, and I still don't have a clue what you're talking about.  Wnat... are you driving a garbage truck around the neighborhood looking for a place to dump old hard drives?
    I need to stop posting right after I wake up. That shit barely makes sense to me. But yeah, that's about the gist of it. When I'm not running around a customer site unplugging old junk, I'm driving a truck stuffed with scrap computer equipment to various scrapyards and resource recovery operations. Not quite "driving around the neighborhood looking for a place to dump it" but it's a similar concept.

    ... And for customer security reasons the only time a physically intact hard drive is in that truck is on the way from their site to ours - those things get shredded first thing.



  • I live outside of Tokyo and the local station is close to a baseball stadium so the team plays thier commercials looped over and over from big TVs. Two of them are really close the newstand/convience store/kiosk so they have listen to it thier entire shift.

    That doesn't sound that bad, right? Well, last year, thier commericals used Celine Dion.......... And IIIIIIIII willlll alllllllwwwwwaaaayysss loooooooooove youuuuuuuuu! over and over and over again for hours at a time. Violation of the Geneva convention against torture,  IMHO


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.