Any comments on this little gem of .net code?

• I found an entire file full of them in a .net application I'm working on. I'm trying to understand what this person was thinking.

public static string DecimalToGUI(decimal val) { if (val != Constants.DECIMAL_NULL) { return decimal.ToInt64(val).ToString(); } else { return Constants.STRING_NULL; } }

• I think it demonstrates your naïveté to assume that they were thinking at all.

• here is another

public static System.DateTime GUIToDate(string stringDate) { if (stringDate.Length > 0) { return System.Convert.ToDateTime(stringDate.Trim().Replace(".", "-")); } else { return Constants.DATE_NULL; } }

•  If written by a contractor, they were thinking of their pension.

Or maybe wondering if it was time for their meds yet.

•  What constants/values are there in Constants?

•  @rohypnol said:

What constants/values are there in Constants?

Pffft - All of them of course!

• Dude, i think your functions are gorgeous.

Instead of altering its purity, why not to add something coherent to this masterpiece? Here's my little grain of sand.

/// <summary>
    /// Brilliant function. Returns a valid sting value as string from a sting.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="Sting">a Sting string</param>
    /// <returns>A valid sting value in string format</returns>
    public static string StingToString (string Sting){
        if (Sting != Constants.STING){
            return Constants.STING;
        }else{
            return Sting;
        }
    }

• Yo dawg, I herd you like code, so I put a sting in your string so you can return while you return.

Yeah, I probably didn't do it right.

• All of the constants in the application are in Constants including

<script> public static string STRING_NULL = ""; public static string STRING_NEW = "NEW"; public static int INTEGER_NULL = int.MinValue; public static byte BYTE_NULL = byte.MinValue; public static long LONG_NULL = long.MinValue; public static System.DateTime DATE_NULL = new System.DateTime(1900, 1, 1); public static double DOUBLE_NULL = double.MinValue; public static decimal DECIMAL_NULL = decimal.MinValue; </script>

I guess they don't know anything about string.Empty

• @Kev777 said:

I found an entire file full of them in a .net application I'm working on. I'm trying to understand what this person was thinking.

public static string DecimalToGUI(decimal val) { if (val != Constants.DECIMAL_NULL) { return decimal.ToInt64(val).ToString(); } else { return Constants.STRING_NULL; } }
    You'll be grateful for his conscientiousness when the C# group realise that the Excel people were right all along, and make decimal.ToInt64(null) return 0 in the next version.

• Let me make that more clear so the WTF is emphasized:@Kev777 said:

/* All of the constants in the application are in Constants including /
    public static string STRING_NULL = "";
    public static string STRING_NEW = "NEW";
    public static int INTEGER_NULL = int.MinValue;
    public static byte BYTE_NULL = byte.MinValue;
    public static long LONG_NULL = long.MinValue;
    public static System.DateTime DATE_NULL = new System.DateTime(1900, 1, 1);
    public static double DOUBLE_NULL = double.MinValue;
    public static decimal DECIMAL_NULL = decimal.MinValue;
    /
    I guess they don't know anything about string.Empty */
    They're using C# so they get nullable types for free, but instead of an actual null they reuse a value which "shouldn't happen" to mean null, and as a result have to write their own toString() and parse() functions to account for the discrepancy.