Dialog wtf: When windows thinks it's suggestion is better.

•  

Sure, I want you to overwrite an existing file, when I gave you a filename that didn't already exist. 

•  I've noticed when you click a file in the save dialog, edit the name in the field, and hit save, it sitll interprets that you want the filename you selected in the window.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Mole said:

Sure, I want you to overwrite an existing file, when I gave you a filename that didn't already exist. 
    I'm sure this works better with the other thread (that's deleted) with the screenshot that (is now deleted,) that showed nothing of the kind.

i.e. screenshot of 'Save As' dialog on 'Desktop' of filename 'woof.c' (WTF?!!) where 'woof.c'  (screenshot of window behind lists files there) already exists?

Why are you saving your source files to desktop?

•  If you viewed the previous thread, I'm sure you notice that the only change is the blurred out piece in this dialog, as I considered that it shouldn't really be public. It doesn't give out much info, but no info is better than a little. It also wouldn't matter if woof.c *was* present on the desktop, I'm saving as woof.c, and it's complaining that woof2.c already exists (It does, but thats not the filename I entered). 

The reason I'm saving source files to the desktop is due to the fact that they are simple test files for a parser. So they are temporary and typically deleted the next day. 

• No info eh? what about "static unsigned char disp_normalSc<something>"?

• @Mole said:

Excuse me sir, do you have a license for VMware Workstation?

*runs like hell*

• @rohypnol said:

Excuse me sir, do you have a license for VMware Workstation?

*runs like hell*

Of course I do. It's a 30 day trial version :)

•  Who needs a whole folder filled with poo? Are you a scatologist or something?

• @spamcourt said:

Who needs a whole folder filled with poo? Are you a scatologist or something?

Are you kidding? I clean my desktop on a weekly basis. Usually on fridays, it's the last thing I do before I leave work and it's the first thing I do when I get in front of my home computer. I work very messy with lots of files and shortcuts on the desktop to make things easier for me and to avoid living in a permanent mess, I clean things up regularly and I've discovered that it's easier to do it like this than staying constantly organized. I just throw things around so they're handy while I work and I put them back when I'm done and I organize my work so that every friday I finish a batch of related tasks.

Basically, I live in a constantly organized disorganized world.

• @spamcourt said:

Who needs a whole folder filled with poo? Are you a scatologist or something?

Would you rather the poo was all over his desk (top)?

• @PJH said:

Why are you saving your source files to desktop?

The desktop is perfectly fine for programs called woof.c, stupid.c, foobar.c and similar.

•  The best desktop is a full desktop

• @spamcourt said:

The best desktop is a full desktop

Is that a "Show Desktop" icon on the desktop?

Epic.

• @spamcourt said:

The best desktop is a full desktop
    Wow, now there's someone who could really benefit from bumptop ... or a shotgun to the head.

• 'poo' is a temporary working directory for various crap that insists you save before continuing (mainly compilers that want to save the workspace, project and settings everytime you hit build). 

'down' is obvious - it's full of downloaded stuff that I've no idea if I'll want again in the future, or that I've never looked at and just moved from my desktop as I've grown bored of seeing it's icon. 

'tmp' is also obvious - it's full of useful stuff, interesting stuff, and stuff that must not be deleted under any circumstances.

• Your approach to organization offends me, Mole.

• @Mole said:

'down' is obvious - it's full of downloaded stuff that I've no idea if I'll want again in the future, or that I've never looked at and just moved from my desktop as I've grown bored of seeing it's icon. 

'tmp' is also obvious - it's full of useful stuff, interesting stuff, and stuff that must not be deleted under any circumstances.

Hey, I didn't say you could copy my filing system! (ok, I admit, I renamed my "temp" folder to stuff after some things have been inside it for 9 years, 4 different machines and more harddrives that I can remember).