IE8 on Win XP SP3 and KB932823



  • I originally installed WinXP Pro SP2 on my home PC, then as MS released updates for it kept on updating it (ending up with SP3 and IE7).  After hearing that IE8 is a required update, and knowing I would eventually be asked to do troubleshooting on it for clients, I decided today to install IE8 on my machine to see how well it does (not?) perform.  Checking MS Update showed no IE8.  Mmm.  So I downloaded the package for it, and tried to run setup.  It complained that some updates were not installed.  Strange, the only update listed in MS Update was the Office Live Plugin for Office 2003.  But in any event - I allowed it to do that as well.

     After it ran through the setup, it reported that the updates could not be installed, and offered a manual download button.  This linked me to KB932823, which I also downloaded (even though it was listed as SP2 only).  The update refused to install, because SP3 was newer than it.  sigh. Off to Google to see what's up. After reading several posts on the subject, ranging from "You SURE you have no malware installed and can you prove it" to "Why install beta software", there is a suggestion that I reinstall SP3 and then repatch the system, then re-install IE8.  Or even uninstall IE7 and SP3 and then try again.

     Of course, I also only have 10GB of metered Internet access a month on my ADSL link, and I pay in the region of $9/GB if I exceed that.  Since SP3 and related patches are in excess of 500MB, it's either some Youtube videos, or IE8 and a possibly unstable system.   Guess I will stick with IE7 for the moment.  I personally don't mind, as I use FF3 for my personal browsing.



  • @braamvh said:

    Of course, I also only have 10GB of metered Internet access a month on my ADSL link, and I pay in the region of $9/GB if I exceed that.
    TRWTF



  • Windows Media Player 11 (I think) can install on all Windows versions >= XP. EXCEPT XP Media Center Edition (the earlier version).

    Now why's that? MCE is afaik only an XP including a certain crappy software nobody uses. I wouldn't even care if that software got broken by WMP11. Also, MCE2005 can run WMP11.



  • Internet Explorer installing is almost always going with trouble. Only on freshly installed pc's it will be ok. I've seen many cases where Internet explorer 7 / 8 refuses to start on XP after installing. Or it just instantly crashes.  And yes, it is on legal installations :P. I better stick to Firefox. The only few website's who are complaining about using firefox instead of internet explorer are website's from before 2000. And some site's/products made by Microsoft (Outlook web access..).

     The real wtf is your metered internet.. You live in Belgium or something? I almost forgot it even still exists in some countries.



  •  Why Microsoft insists on building so much of Windows on top of/dependent off IE still amazes me, despite all the troubles it's caused.  I mean yes, for Windows Update it is rather handy, but as shown here, even then it seems to manage to cause more problems than it fixes.



  • @Master Chief said:

     Why Microsoft insists on building so much of Windows on top of/dependent off IE still amazes me, despite all the troubles it's caused.  I mean yes, for Windows Update it is rather handy, but as shown here, even then it seems to manage to cause more problems than it fixes.


    Actually this hasn't been the case since Vista was developed. Microsoft has migrated most if not all of Windows html besed content to WPF.



  • @Daid said:

    @braamvh said:
    Of course, I also only have 10GB of metered Internet access a month on my ADSL link, and I pay in the region of $9/GB if I exceed that.
    TRWTF
     

    Just be glad it isn't $150/GB!



  • @braamvh said:

    I also only have 10GB of metered Internet access a month on my ADSL link, and I pay in the region of $9/GB if I exceed that.

    @HAX said:

     The real wtf is your metered internet.. You live in Belgium or something?
    I'm currently paying €32/month for just 4GB :-(



  • @bjolling said:

    @braamvh said:

    I also only have 10GB of metered Internet access a month on my ADSL link, and I pay in the region of $9/GB if I exceed that.

    @HAX said:

     The real wtf is your metered internet.. You live in Belgium or something?
    I'm currently paying €32/month for just 4GB :-(

      Hey, it's better than it used to be.  When I lived there (2000 - 2003) we only had DSL where I lived and we had to pay by the minute like a god damned cell phone!!!



  • @amischiefr said:

    Hey, it's better than it used to be.  When I lived there (2000 - 2003) we only had DSL where I lived and we had to pay by the minute like a god damned cell phone!!!

    You had DSL? Back in the day, we had to use Modems as slow as 56kbps!

    In before "we had to actually use our mouths to get any information delivered!"



  • @derula said:

    @amischiefr said:
    Hey, it's better than it used to be.  When I lived there (2000 - 2003) we only had DSL where I lived and we had to pay by the minute like a god damned cell phone!!!

    You had DSL? Back in the day, we had to use Modems as slow as 56kbps!

    In before "we had to actually use our mouths to get any information delivered!"

     

    Oh don't even get me started on my first BBS (Bulletin Board System for those of you under 25 or so) with my high speed 2400 baud rate modem.  Man I miss the sweet sound of connecting to the tubes.



  • @derula said:

    we had to use Modems as slow as 56kbps!

    Sorry dude, I worked with punch cards and14.4K modems and remember 28.8 as a luxury...



  • @HAX said:

    Internet Explorer installing is almost always going with trouble. Only on freshly installed pc's it will be ok. I've seen many cases where Internet explorer 7 / 8 refuses to start on XP after installing. Or it just instantly crashes.  And yes, it is on legal installations :P.

     

    For the record, I've never had any installation and usage problems of any kind with any version of IE. I'm tempted to say lern2manageyourpc.



  • @snoofle said:

    Sorry dude, I worked with punch cards and14.4K modems and remember 28.8 as a luxury...
    Must have been tough, what with having to fight off dinosaurs and such :)

    Only went back as far as 33.6 myself.

    Anyway, the OP's story is why security patches aside I stopped mucking about with XP's update short of SP3.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

     They want to move my area to a metered plan. I believe the outcry stopped just short of rioting in the streets. They're now "reconsidering how to best serve the needs of the customer". 



  • @yamikuronue said:

    They want to move my area to a metered plan. I believe the outcry stopped just short of rioting in the streets. They're now "reconsidering how to best serve the needs of the customer". 
    And what are the odds that the solution to serving the customer's needs is (a proxy for) metering? I ask both as a cynic, and as an interested 3rd party.



  • @Hitsuji said:

    Actually this hasn't been the case since Vista was developed. Microsoft has migrated most if not all of Windows html besed content to WPF.
     

    Though I'm certain IE is still built right to the core of Vista, as it has been in all previous versions.



  • @snoofle said:

    @derula said:

    we had to use Modems as slow as 56kbps!

    Sorry dude, I worked with punch cards and14.4K modems and remember 28.8 as a luxury...

     

    ...

    ...

    Celeron 400 MHZ, Mother Soyo 6ba+, 5 pci, 2 isa, ram 128 mb, win2k.

    I still use my Twincom 14.400 isa modem. Year 2009, everybody happily watching wireless porn, downloading gigabytes of cracked isos not even intended for computers, uploading and sharing its own filmed farts, and i use my 14.400 old bastard isa modem. "Free internet" they say, u only pay the local call. It works, is all i have to say about it.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.