I bet you thought you'd never see another one of these

• From my school's recent student survey, hosted by surveymonkey:

Sorry about the size, it's Photobucket's fault. Using a JPEG didn't help.

•  I guess an integer value check was too much trouble.

• Clearly this is a security measure.  By separating the student ID out into separate fields, the programmer guaranteed it would be harder for h4><0rz to capture and reconstruct the full ID.  This would be especially useful for the forward-thinking, security-conscious universities that use SSN as student ID, thus increasing security by having fewer arbitrary numbers for students to memorize.

•  Maybe it's made for Devices with a touchscreen and no keyboard. Also no on-screen-keyboard and the browser doesn't have javascript too. 

• @HAX said:

Maybe it's made for Devices with a touchscreen and no keyboard. Also no on-screen-keyboard and the browser doesn't have javascript too. 

Such as?

• Some kind of kiosk box they have in the lobby?

• @DescentJS said:

@HAX said:

Maybe it's made for Devices with a touchscreen and no keyboard. Also no on-screen-keyboard and the browser doesn't have javascript too. 

Such as?

My brand new PDA! I'll give you a hint: It's 70% nitrogen.  There's some oxygen in there too.

• I see a thought pattern of "putting a check constraint on the database field and validating the textbox before submitting it with a regex is too crazy an idea for this world", but I can't quite understand how the developer arrived at that conclusion.

• @Dudehole said:

I see a thought pattern of "putting a check constraint on the database field and validating the textbox before submitting it with a regex is too crazy an idea for this world", but I can't quite understand how the developer arrived at that conclusion.

The developer was probably one of those people who likes to post the regex quote about two problems.

• @DescentJS said:

The developer was probably one of those people who likes to post the regex quote about two problems.
    [quote user="Jamie W. Zawinski"]Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.[/quote]

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.