Software School? Really?



  • I work in a software school affiliated with a major university in China. (How affiliated? Their degrees have the main university's stamp on it, not their own.) You'd expect a software school to have a clue about software now, wouldn't you? You would? How naïve are you!?


    http://i39.tinypic.com/33mxtmq.png

    In case the language is throwing you there, Kaspersky anti-virus is reporting a virus infection (the nasty Win32.Virut strain) in ... Kaspersky anti-virus. You got it! The IT department, upon receiving a report of a runaway viral infection in a class computer just installed Kaspersky on top of it.



  • @MichaelWH said:

    You'd expect a software school to have a clue about software now, wouldn't you? You would? How naïve are you!?
     

    Looks to me as if you are the naïve one.



  • @MichaelWH said:

    You got it! The IT department, upon receiving a report of a runaway viral infection in a class computer just installed Kaspersky on top of it.
    Ignoring the WTF of not having any AV on there to start with, what would be your non-WTF way of handling a 'runaway viral infection?'



  •  @PJH said:

    @MichaelWH said:
    You got it! The IT department, upon receiving a report of a runaway viral infection in a class computer just installed Kaspersky on top of it.
    Ignoring the WTF of not having any AV on there to start with, what would be your non-WTF way of handling a 'runaway viral infection?'
    Wipe the drive and reinstall from scratch, putting AV on very early in the cycle.  Or clone a drive on a computer that's not overrun with viruses and that has AV already installed (there were several in neighbouring classrooms and I even told them where they were).



  • Some antivirus companies provide a bootable CD image with the antivirus software on it.  I don't know if Kaspersky does.  Reinstalling is the best option though, if at all possible.





  •  Wiping the drive from scratch? Really? Try using that cheap trick when there's data to be salvaged and a ton of programs to be reinstalled and NO cheap & easy image-based reinstallation...aha...go on. You'll have plenty of "fun" afterwards.



  • @C4I_Officer said:

     Wiping the drive from scratch? Really? Try using that cheap trick when there's data to be salvaged and a ton of programs to be reinstalled and NO cheap & easy image-based reinstallation...aha...go on. You'll have plenty of "fun" afterwards.

    Try putting things in context.  This is a computer classroom in a
    university - they're likely to have a file server that stores all the
    improtant files, so there won't be any important data on those computers.  They're also likely to have lots of computers of the same type, so if they have any kind of competence, they will have a disk image available.  Although the OP seems to suggest that they don't have much competence, so it's possible that they do fail in this.  But on the other hand, this is China, where labor is cheap, so they can probably find someone to do manual reinstallation.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.