Maybe I need new clocks?



  •  



  • Probably not - you just need to figure out if that's supposed to be 10AM, 17AM or 49AM.

    Of course, unless that website is out of this world, it's unlikely that it's supposed to be 49AM.



  • @tgape said:

    Probably not - you just need to figure out if that's supposed to be 10AM, 17AM or 49AM.

    Of course, unless that website is out of this world, it's unlikely that it's supposed to be 49AM.

    Ok, I give up, I haven't had my coffee yet. How'd you get 17?



  • @tgape said:

    Probably not - you just need to figure out if that's supposed to be 10AM, 17AM or 49AM.

    Of course, unless that website is out of this world, it's unlikely that it's supposed to be 49AM.

    There's no 17AM on my world (Earth).



  • It looks like sombody got clever and added a zero on the front of the number, trying to get "06:00am" but there is another layer that is parsing that string back into a number.  Hence it sees the leading zero on "010:00am" and interprets it as hex.



  • @Qwerty said:

    It looks like sombody got clever and added a zero on the front of the number, trying to get "06:00am" but there is another layer that is parsing that string back into a number.  Hence it sees the leading zero on "010:00am" and interprets it as hex.

    Except that a leading 0 without the x means octal instead, of course.



  • Maybe it's some kind of print code confusion:

    void print_time(int x)
    {
      printf("%x:00", x);
    } 


  • @Whoa314 said:

    @tgape said:

    Probably not - you just need to figure out if that's supposed to be 10AM, 17AM or 49AM.

    Of course, unless that website is out of this world, it's unlikely that it's supposed to be 49AM.

    Ok, I give up, I haven't had my coffee yet. How'd you get 17?

    It's possible it converts all of the times to lower case.  (Yes, it really shouldn't.  But if you've been around here long enough to have read even a third of the posts, you should know better than to trust that...)



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    There's no 17AM on my world (Earth).

    True, but there is, if I'm not mistaken, a 5PM, which poorly written software might mistakenly think is 17AM.  I'm not saying it's likely, just that, sad to say, in this particular case I've seen it.  (It was not a case eligible for this website, however, as it was a student code issue, and the student at least understood he needed some help before he turned it in.)



  • @Whoa314 said:

    Ok, I give up, I haven't had my coffee yet. How'd you get 17?

    0xa = 10

    "A"c - "0"c = 17

    "a"c - "0"c = 49

     

     



  • @TehFreek said:

    Except that a leading 0 without the x means octal instead, of course.

    I was just going to say that this would come out as "8", whereas 012 would come out as "a". Six AM to midnight is a reasonable set of hours.



  • Nice one!  Convert 12 (base8) to base16 to get "a"!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.