I don't remember having that many network cards

• Hey... last night on my laptop which has a grand total of 6 network adapters (1 wireless, 1 ethernet, 1 firewire, 2 VMWare, 1 Hamachi), 4 of which are set not to show their status in the status-bar, I saw a sight that was rather confusing that I thought I might share...

Despite the insistence that 19 of my 6 network adapters are unplugged I was still online... soon as I moused over any of them they got shy and disappeared, but poked their heads back up randomly until after my next reboot. Not sure whether to blame windows or the third-party virtual network cards that are installed, but either way I thought it was kinda classy :P

•  Windows seems to forget systray icons for processes that have been killed without the chance to remove the icons themselves. The icons magically disappear as soon as you move your mouse over them. Maybe the 3rd party virtual network "thingies" are to blame more than Windows.

• Yeah, I've seen it happen for isolated icons before but never 19 icons at a time.

Do the third party drivers even control that icon? I was under the impression the generic windows network adapter code owned the icon and simply used the third party driver... I guess a defective driver'd still be in a pretty good position to break that code, but yeah I can't find anything conclusive to blame any specific adapter cause the icon wouldn't say what it was for before it vanished :p

•  It could be that a third-party program is using the same icon as Windows, but it isn't the real network adapter icon. Say, dodgy wifi control crap?

•  Acutally I've noticed any orphaned system tray icon (and occasionally even those with a program that terminates normally) stay on the taskbar for a long time unless you mouse them.  No idea why, but I've noticed Kubuntu occasionally does that too.

• @fyjham said:

Yeah, I've seen it happen for isolated icons before but never 19 icons at a time.

The icon must be being generated by a service that is set to auto-restart on crash in the service control MMC.

• That can happen if you go to suspend-resume many times.

• Oddly, the exact same thing has happened to me before

They just kept on popping up until I moused over them...

• @rohypnol said:

Windows seems to forget systray icons for processes that have been killed without the chance to remove the icons themselves. The icons magically disappear as soon as you move your mouse over them.
     Everytime I upload to Facebook that happens to me with the Java icon.