Clueless

• Here's a little something to pass the time...

Taken from bash.org:

<gweebz0r> i went to the gf's work last week, they had no antivirus
    <gweebz0r> 279 viruses
    <gweebz0r> the best part was
    <gweebz0r> they showed me their backup strategy
    <gweebz0r> they use custom software
    <gweebz0r> and they backed up the application by dragging the desktop icon (a shortcut) to their cdrw
    <gweebz0r> they had 2 years worth of shortcuts

• Why do people talk like that on IRC?  Just give me one message with everything, don't give it to me in 4 word increments.

• @belgariontheking said:

Why do people talk like that on IRC?  Just give me one message with everything, don't give it to me in 4 word increments.
    I don't know.

•  It's really annoying.

• I wish people would stop doing it.

•  Don't you?

Why do people talk like that on IRC?  Just give me one message with everything, don't give it to me in 4 word increments.

yeah

and no punctuation

no capitalization either

• Chat talk != Forum Talk

Chat talk is real time. So, splitting talk "in 4 word increments" is better for whoever is "reading" you. Come on... I'd get bored to hell if i had to wait 3 or 4 minutes for someone to finally press the "enter" key... wouldn't you?

• @CrazyBomber said:

Chat talk is real time. So, splitting talk "in 4 word increments" is better for whoever is "reading" you. Come on... I'd get bored to hell if i had to wait 3 or 4 minutes for someone to finally press the "enter" key... wouldn't you?
    Better idea: learn to type at a reasonable pace so that you can reach IRC's 512-character maximum in under a minute.

• @CrazyBomber said:

I'd get bored to hell if i had to wait 3 or 4 minutes for someone to finally press the "enter" key... wouldn't you?
    No.  I don't sit there and wait for people to say things.  I check back every few minutes.

• @Welbog said:

Better idea: learn to type at a reasonable pace so that you can reach IRC's 512-character maximum in under a minute.

Since the protocol effectively eats 50 to 100 of those characters, that leaves 400 characters a minute (not to mention the fact that almost every server will truncate messages that are to long instead of splitting them itself, this is worsened by the fact that most IRC clients don't anticipate this even though they can), which is about 80 WPM (If you use the definition that a word is 5 characters). Most typists average around 27 for composition, so a full line will take 3 minutes. Additionally any long message will be word-wrapped anyways, and reading small lines instead of giant-paragraphs tends to be easier, it also allows the reader to formulate possible responses while the full message is still being composed. Besides, this isn't even an IRC specific thing.

Edit: Reread the OP. I'll agree that that is over-zealous use of new-lines.

• @bstorer said:

@belgariontheking said:

I don't know.

leftover
    from the time
    when computers
    had small screens

Of course with current PDAs and EEEEEEEEEEEE PCs that time has returned.

• @jwenting said:

@bstorer said:

@belgariontheking said:

I don't know.

leftover
    from the time
    when computers
    had small screens

Of course with current PDAs and EEEEEEEEEEEE PCs that time has returned.

Hogwash.  You're putting the same amount of data on the screen, and would still presumably have to scroll.  You're just breaking it up like a retard.

People in a chat will usually type as though they were talking, each time they hit enter is a pause.

• Kids on IRC have the attention span of a fruit fly. By the time you'd finish typing that 512-character line, the topic would have changed.

• @The Dark Lord said:

Kids on IRC have the attention span of a fruit fly. By the time you'd finish typing that 512-character line, the topic would have changed.

Oh no, it's The Dark Lord, wait what were we talking about?