IMDB WTF

• Ok, I know this isn't really a programming wtf, but still...  Anybody else find the item on this list that made me say "WTF?"

•  I'm not so sure what was so evil about the waterbed from Nightmare on Elm Street.  I'm pretty sure that it was freddy and not the bed that was the problem.

There was nothing evil about the TV in Poltergeist.  It was simply a medium between our world and the spirit world.

The Ark of the Covenant wasn't evil, it cleansed evil (to my understanding).

" <label for="poll_choice_15">I have no opinion on this matter.</label> "  <== Then why are they taking the survey?

• @campkev said:

Ok, I know this isn't really a programming wtf, but still...  Anybody else find the item on this list that made me say "WTF?"

The "non-living entity" <=> "non-entity" confusion?

• @amischiefr said:

I'm not so sure what was so evil about the waterbed from Nightmare on Elm Street.  I'm pretty sure that it was freddy and not the bed that was the problem.

There was nothing evil about the TV in Poltergeist.  It was simply a medium between our world and the spirit world.

The Ark of the Covenant wasn't evil, it cleansed evil (to my understanding).

Also, I think the guy who posted the quiz has somewhat missed the point if he thinks the Overlook Hotel and HAL aren't "alive" in a very meaningful sense of the word.  Skynet and the Matrix arguably so also.  And the Ring definitely has personality and awareness of a sort, so I'd say it was alive as well.

In fact the question is nonsense, technically.  The only kinds of things that are even capable of being evil are those that are alive, or that we can in some way adopt the intentional stance towards.

• The living vs non-living thing (maybe they meant non-human) is definitely questionable, as is the waterbed from Nightmare on Elm Street. But the Ark of the Covenant was the one that really made me say WTF?

•  Does leaving out "The Video from The Ring" count as a WTF?  Though I suppose it's living in a sense too...

• @campkev said:

Anybody else find the item on this list that made me say "WTF?"

Nope. The poll seems fine to me. I might substitute "non-biological" for "non-living" so that nobody argues that computers are living or that only living things can be evil. (If you insist on that argument then I'll argue back that "murder" is evil but not living.)

Maybe you disagree that one of the entities even belongs in a list of evil things? I haven't seen a couple of those movies to pass judgment.

• Well, you found Aria. Congratulations. Was it worth it? Because despite your violent behavior, the only thing you've managed to break so far, is her heart. Maybe you could settle for that, and we'll just call it a day. I guess we both know that isn't going to happen.

This isn't brave. It's murder. What did she ever do to you? You don't even care, do you?

Cake will be served to those who understand it.

•  Portal quotes:  Only slightly better than xkcd.

• @Justice said:

Does leaving out "The Video from The Ring" count as a WTF?  Though I suppose it's living in a sense too...

I don't think it's the video that's the living thing, I think it's Sadako who's alive in that case.

• @AlpineR said:

I might substitute "non-biological" for "non-living" so that nobody argues that computers are living or that only living things can be evil. (If you insist on that argument then I'll argue back that "murder" is evil but not living.)

Murder is not evil, it is an abstract concept. Only living things can be evil. The acts they do can be called evil acts, but the evil of the act lies only in the fact that it comes from an evil inspiration.  "Murder" is a word that describes a category of killings which are deliberate.  In many cases people will say afterward that the murderer was not evil, but sad or pathetic or irrational or broken in some way.  True, many murderers are inspired by evil, but abstract concepts cannot be evil, only living things.

"Evil" refers to a state of mind, not an outcome or an event.  It is only a semantic shorthand when we refer to something as "an evil murder"; what we mean is "a murder, the motives behind which were evil".

That's what the two concepts mean to me, anyway.

• @DaveK said:

Murder is not evil, it is an abstract concept. ....  "Murder" is a word that describes a category of killings which are deliberate.

Although technically your description does cover what I am writing, I'd be more explicit and say that Murder is a deliberate killing that is not sanctioned by the state.

• Good lord... programmers... Does anybody here not understand the intent of the question? All of this 
    debate about the definition of "living" and/or "evil" seems pointless. We all understand the gist of the
     poll.

I haven't seen all of those movies, but I would definitely pick the hotel from The Shining out of the 
    movies I have seen.

The Ark of The Covenant (as somebody else already mentioned) is clearly the WTF here. It's blessed
     by God and it kills a bunch of asshole Nazis*. That is the opposite of evil.

*Cue the xkcd reference

• @savar said:

Good lord... programmers... Does anybody here not understand the intent of the question? All of this 
    debate about the definition of "living" and/or "evil" seems pointless. We all understand the gist of the
     poll.

Well yeh, but having exhausted (our interest in) the wtfs in the poll itself, the conversation moved on.  That's how conversations work.

• That ark is evil, I tell you.

It killed Aaron and two of his sons with a lightning bolt. All because instead of using the Man's favorite incense on it, they bought a bootleg incense sticks pack from a passing hare krishna.

And when Moses found out, he cursed his Boss, and they had an argument. Which resulted in J saying that Moses would die upon entering the promised land. Guess why all those people spent 40 more years than necessary in the desert, walking around in circles?

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

That ark is evil, I tell you.

It killed Aaron and two of his sons with a lightning bolt. All because instead of using the Man's favorite incense on it, they bought a bootleg incense sticks pack from a passing hare krishna.

[/quote] 

This is cute, but incorrect.  Aaron died far later, after the priesthood was passed on to Eleazar.  His sons were killed after they (instead of using the temple fire as ordered) lit the incense using coals from their own campfires, which were probably built with dung.  Would you kick some ass if someone burned feces in your house?  I thought so. 

• @savar said:

The Ark of The Covenant (as somebody else already mentioned) is clearly the WTF here. It's blessed
    by God and it kills a bunch of asshole Nazis*. That is the opposite of evil.

That said, the way it killed them was quite evil.

• @Spectre said:

@savar said:
    The Ark of The Covenant (as somebody else already mentioned) is clearly the WTF here. It's blessed by God and it kills a bunch of asshole Nazis*. That is the opposite of evil.

That said, the way it killed them was quite evil.

The way it killed them?  That was good.  But the way it killt them, that was baaa--aaa-ad, man! flicksnapwrist

• What about Chucky?  And if the Terminators count, surely the Borg do as well? 

• Well, now I feel really retarded (in ,,slowed down" sense of word). First I read all these comments about poltergeists, Arks of Covenant, and Terminators, and after that I click the link and find myself on poll "What is your favourite animated movie for adults." Now THAT made me go WTF indeed ;-).

• @DaveK said:

The only kinds of things that are even capable of being evil are those that are alive, or that we can in some way adopt the intentional stance towards.

Well, not according to Shakespeare.

@Hamlet said:

Why then 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison.

Also, Way2Go OP for linking to something that changes daily without capturing that day's content in some way.  I see something about the best animated movies for adults

Also, it doesn't have to be programming related to go in the Side Bar.  It just has to be a WTF.  I believe you're thinking of StackOverflow.

• @belgariontheking said:

@DaveK said:

The only kinds of things that are even capable of being evil are those that are alive, or that we can in some way adopt the intentional stance towards.

Well, not according to Shakespeare.

@Hamlet said:

Why then 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison.

You have used that phrase precisely once.  I do not think it means what you think it means!

[quote user="http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/nothing-either-good-bad-but-thinking-makes"]Hamlet is a prisoner of his own thinking, and of his knowledge that his stepfather is a fratricide and his mother incestuous. When he states that "there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so," he's not indulging in ethical relativism as much as wishing for blissful ignorance.

[/quote] 

•  @belgariontheking said:

Also, Way2Go OP for linking to something that changes daily without capturing that day's content in some way.  I see something about the best animated movies for adults

Sorry about that.  I realized that and meant to go back and capture it, but got distracted doing what I'm supposed to be doing.  Employers are so annoying like that.

Here's the poll: http://www.imdb.com/poll/results/2009-03-24