Real Application Cluster or real application pain in the ass

• Hi guys!

I must spend a little time to write here, why I hate oracle. I working with linux, unix systems, administrating computer networks etc. since 8 years but FORTUNATELY never needed to do anithing with oracle, I use mysql all place and really like it.

And now I got a job, setup an oracle cluster. First thing, I dont know u guys which distrib your favourite but personally like debian :)
    It takes about a fucking day when I could break the keyboard because this shit installer with the 100000 requiments, and i hacked the whole system to get it works, thats when I decided with rpm based distribs, I hate them...

Round II - "the cluster"

Ok first i started to suck all material from the net, and I hope I will find some usefull oracle clustering "howto", I was wrong...
    There is a lot of pdf in oracle site which talks about 3 things : SHIT, CRAP, NOTHING
    I read all, and I can tell u its totally useless...
    Next thing what the fuck can i do i need this job, started p2pwarez torrent etc, "oracle rac ebook", i cant find 1...
    Almost all things figured out by myself and there is not a single person who knows how can build an oracle cluster here ( yeah not even the fatass oracle DBAs and programmers, noone...).
    Yes I wrote some letters to ocfs2 list until i understand how that fuck works, need a shared storage device, fine I dont have 1 nas box right here for testing, I working with vmware, no problem it can do clustering if i get the FUCKING GSX server with bittorrent.

Round III - The BigFuck ClusterWave

Thats funny, oracle 10 g       G   === grid
    And this shit dont support clustering , u need a separated software to do it, clusterwave good name but the program is a work some kind of fucking windows maniac asshole. Until i didnt know the -IgnorePrerequiments paramter I almost pulled up my hair.
    U need to make the box insecure to setup that shit, what i mean? shut off the firewall <== oracle says that, oh why not whats good with that fucking firewall..
    Install RSH REXEC RLOGIN and some "R"-shit unsecure tool to install this ( besides it will use ssh with STRICTHOSTKEYS parameter, I really dont know how could they do such a smart thing if u change the hostname u will need to generate hostkeys !!!)  and here we go to the nodes and the hosts file, first time totally dont know why this fuck give the following shit to my face:   SYSTEM RETURNED ERR NULL

Oh there is a debug option, when i saw what this asshole installer did in the background,  started to understand I will buy a fucking uzi and kill all oracle programmers...

No, there is no end, if I done with this job i will buy some oracle licence paper to my toilet and I will burn some oracle cds...

Have a good they to you (without oracle:) !

• The real WTF is that you are trying to do something absolutely
    non-trivial despite the fact that you have no clue how to do it. To
    make it worse, you try it on a non-supported distro. And, judging from
    your style of writing, you were not even sober.

• Aw - give him a break. He isn't drunk, just doesn't know English. The rest of your comments seem to apply. You can jump from Win to *nix with little knowledge as a user - not as an admin/architect/developer.

• @Lissa said:

Aw - give him a break. He isn't drunk, just doesn't know English.

I was not referring to his grammar, but to the PG18 rating of his post ;-)

• @ammoQ said:

The real WTF is that you are trying to do something absolutely
    non-trivial despite the fact that you have no clue how to do it. To
    make it worse, you try it on a non-supported distro. And, judging from
    your style of writing, you were not even sober.

Yeah, there aren't many Linux distros supported by Oracle, but their installation guides for them are usually pretty good.

Even so, it can still take some trial and error. But I think it would be the case with any nontrivial piece of software!

• @PhillS said:

Yeah, there aren't many Linux distros supported by Oracle, but their installation guides for them are usually pretty good.

Even if you don't want to spend lots of cash for SLES or RedHat, because the installation, because it's for a non-productive developtment/testing installation,  it's far more easy to stay within the family and use e.g. Suse 9.0 instead of SLES or Fedora, CentOS or Whitebox instead of RedHat. Trying a totally different distro like Debian is asking for troubles.

BTW: Novell has been giving away SLES licenses (unsupported, but the original software) nearly for free (I've bought a German Linux magacine for 15 EUR or so, which includes SLES 9 SP1)

Even so, it can still take some trial and error. But I think it would be the case with any nontrivial piece of software!

So true, Oracle's installer have a strong tendency to behave like a new-born baby. (they suck very often)

• I can understand your pain , This RAC clusterware installations sucks , i have been trying to install RAC on windows 2003 server and its been three weeks still i am stuck , most of the documentation Oracle has is full of shit , no relevant information , so i Opened a TAR , and there were something which i had to tell them how it will work , this Installer is probably worst ever

There is a thing called cluster verify , you run that and it checks that the nodes can be reached , user equivalence is ok and checks that shared storage can be accessed and all other stuff in end say cluster verification passed , its full of crap when you try to install it cries at each step , infact i have TAR still open , since it installs the clusterware but while configuring it fails to start CRS stack on one node and fails and Gread Oracle Support is still not able to figure why , they say 10gR2 was released only last year and there are some issues , and there are already 6 patches for 10gR2 in five months. i have raised the severity level to 2 for TAR and still Oracle is struggling

i am telling you this Clusterware is nothing but beta software being released by Oracle to make customers go crazy while installing it and there by helping Oracle as to how this shit works , its amazing how you pay such a fat license fee and the End product is not even tested fully or documentation is incomplete and vague

i think Oracle should start making better products or it will loose market very soon. but as long as there are lot of stupids who buy this shit no matter how bad it is and how costly it is , they will not change.

• The real wtf is, that this guy didn't even know how to find material, otherwise he would have stumbled over links like this:

l.

• Just to say that first:
    - For 25 years I´ve been doing all sorts of programming.
    - I did some oracle.
    - I´m not an oracle wizzard
    With that in mind...

Based on a TCO calculation of a clustered DB requirement, my judgement would be:
    - take Oracle, if your Ellisons neighbor
    - otherwise don´t

Feel free to flame on this. Statement stays as written.

• Based on his comment I'd say: don't take any advise from this guy, ask people that actually do work with Oracle (or any other database) and don't have to bullsh*t through their IT carreer.

l.