Trend micro WTF (what is new)

• Yes, I know that using Trend Micro AV is TRWTF, but bear with me.

Imagine this: a new notebook connected to a network with a squid proxy server, advertised using WPAD, and configured as a 'transparent' proxy.

I attempt to open the Trend 'console', and I get a squid error page, sans title bar and border, telling me that squid cannot connect to http://127.0.0.1/whatever.

What the.... 

So, if the pc is connected to the network, it cannot show. Where is there testing department?? I needed to pull the plug, open the console, plug the cable back in, and then activate (TRWTF2) or update.

Lovely.

• @robbak said:

squid proxy server

HE'S WITH THE OCTOPUS PEOPLE!!!!

• @CDarklock said:

@robbak said:

squid proxy server

HE'S WITH THE OCTOPUS PEOPLE!!!!

With whom is he?

• @robbak said:

Yes, I know that using Trend Micro AV is TRWTF, but bear with me.

My favorite Trend Micro AV WTF is what happens when you tell it to scan removable media (we had to scan a lot of floppies at one point in the business cycle in my old job)... but don't actually put anything in for it to scan.

Rather than advise you that the disk you told it to scan isn't there, and that maybe you might want to put one in, it simply reports that the scan completed, and that there were no viruses found.  Technically correct, but...

• @BPFH said:

Technically correct, but...

Which, of course, is the best kind of correct.

• @robbak said:

Yes, I know that using Trend Micro AV is TRWTF

Once upon a time, back in the day, they were (briefly) the best AV around.

We brought in the four biggest names in AV, which, at the time, included Trend.  We ran messages through them containing all of the malware we could find.  Trend was the clear winner, in both terms of speed and hit rate.

We also ran hundreds of legitimate messages through hundreds of times, and Trend performed the best there, too.

We bought the product, and installed it on our email backbone servers.

Fast forward a year.  We noticed that according to our statistics, our end-user email servers were reporting more types of viruses blocked than the email backbone servers.  "These things fluctuate," we said.  "Sometimes one company is on top of the stats, other times another company is.  That's why we use multiple AV products."

Fast forward another year.  Trend's "lifetime" stats now sucked worse than either the desktop or end-user email server stats.  We brought in the 16 biggest names in AV, which still contained Trend (barely).  We ran messages through them containing all of the malware we could find, and all of the malware we had previously found.  Trend didn't even score as well on just the old stuff.  Trend performed just under the speed it had the first time around, while the other three we had tried before all ran faster.

We bought the winner's product, and installed it on our email backbone servers.

Fast forward a bunch of years.  Our stats (without having chosen another AV) still rock, and Trend's stats still suck.  The latest round of tests only included Trend as a historical nod (and, also, their salesman keeps wanting to waste his time on us.).

So, I don't think the WTF is having used Trend at one point in time, but still using it today is problematic...

• @tgape said:

@robbak said:
    Yes, I know that using Trend Micro AV is TRWTF

Once upon a time, back in the day, they were (briefly) the best AV around.

We brought in the four biggest names in AV, which, at the time, included Trend.  We ran messages through them containing all of the malware we could find.  Trend was the clear winner, in both terms of speed and hit rate.

We also ran hundreds of legitimate messages through hundreds of times, and Trend performed the best there, too.

We bought the product, and installed it on our email backbone servers.

Fast forward a year.  We noticed that according to our statistics, our end-user email servers were reporting more types of viruses blocked than the email backbone servers.  "These things fluctuate," we said.  "Sometimes one company is on top of the stats, other times another company is.  That's why we use multiple AV products."

Fast forward another year.  Trend's "lifetime" stats now sucked worse than either the desktop or end-user email server stats.  We brought in the 16 biggest names in AV, which still contained Trend (barely).  We ran messages through them containing all of the malware we could find, and all of the malware we had previously found.  Trend didn't even score as well on just the old stuff.  Trend performed just under the speed it had the first time around, while the other three we had tried before all ran faster.

We bought the winner's product, and installed it on our email backbone servers.

Fast forward a bunch of years.  Our stats (without having chosen another AV) still rock, and Trend's stats still suck.  The latest round of tests only included Trend as a historical nod (and, also, their salesman keeps wanting to waste his time on us.).

So, I don't think the WTF is having used Trend at one point in time, but still using it today is problematic...

Who won?

• @menta said:

Who won?

"We" did, as we were able to get a kick-ass anti-virus product.

(Sorry, that's all you get.)

• @robbak said:

Yes, I know that using Trend Micro AV is TRWTF, but bear with me.

Since I use a catch-all on my domain every time I fill out a "user registration" (eg software registry, forum, etc) they get a different email address. The one I used for Trend Micro PC-Cillin got hammered with spam shortly after I used it so I always recommend against using anything Trend Micro! At least I can blacklist misbehaving aliases.

• We're a Trend Micro reseller, though most of our clients are very small companies that use the desktop versions of the products. Till PC Cillin 2006 there weren't any problems, but PC Cillin 2007 was so awful that we kept selling 2006 while looking for an alternative. Things haven't gotten much better with 2008, and while 2009 looks like it's gotten better, it dropped support for Windows 2000, which a few clients still use. Interestingly, according to the regional distributor, we're the only reseller that ever reported any problems with post-2006 versions.

• @ender said:

Filed under: ·̴̵̶̷̸̡̢̧̨̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̣̤̥̦̩̪̫̬̭̮̯̰̱̲̳̹̺̻̼̀́̂̃̄̅̆̇̈̉̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̽̾̿̀́͂̓̈́̕̚͠͡ͅ, throw new TаgException()
    ender, your tags are evil.

Everyone note that that isn't even an a in "TagException."  Go ahead, try searching the page for "tagexception."

• @belgariontheking said:

@ender said:

Filed under: ·̴̵̶̷̸̡̢̧̨̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̣̤̥̦̩̪̫̬̭̮̯̰̱̲̳̹̺̻̼̀́̂̃̄̅̆̇̈̉̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̽̾̿̀́͂̓̈́̕̚͠͡ͅ, throw new TаgException()
    ender, your tags are evil.

Everyone note that that isn't even an a in "TagException."  Go ahead, try searching the page for "tagexception."

I don't see the big deal.