I BLAME DRM

• When I replace Photoshop's DLL with a hax0red one, it stops working! ZOMG Windows 7's fault!
    • OMG I can't access Local Settings suddenly, Windows locked it down to keep me from accessing my files! And by suddenly I mean since Vista since Local Settings is now in %APPDATA%\Local and I was trying the wrong place.
    • Apps can add themselves to the Firewall exceptions, this is clearly unacceptable even though an app that has gotten this far can wipe my hard drive.
    • Microsoft moved functionality around and I can't be arsed to figure it out! They must have removed it! (Stereo Mix).

Here's my more serious response with more detail: http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1130241&cid=26882717

• Microsoft made windows 7 incompatible with this user. It was Windows that changed - not the user. The fact that this user wasn't compatible with reality in the first place doesn't have anything to do with this - It worked fine in XP.

BTW: TRWTF is that none of the first 5 insightfull messages spot the problem (malfunctioning user,bad journalism). If blindly swallowing such an ill-documented story is considered insightfull - what does that say about \.?

•  @The MAZZTer said:

Microsoft moved functionality around and I can't be arsed to figure it out! They must have removed it! (Stereo Mix).

OK, that's kind of legit.  Have you ever tried to work with that stupid "ribbon" they put in recent office releases?

• :belt_onion:

@vt_mruhlin said:

@The MAZZTer said:

Microsoft moved functionality around and I can't be arsed to figure it out! They must have removed it! (Stereo Mix).

OK, that's kind of legit.  Have you ever tried to work with that stupid "ribbon" they put in recent office releases?

Yes. What's your point?

• @kvdveer said:

what does that say about .?

Backslashdot?

• @Spectre said:

@kvdveer said:
    what does that say about \.?

Backslashdot?

Well, actually it was just an escaped dot, until you went and quoted it, making the backslash superfluous.

•  This is Slashdot, the same place where people screeched about how Vista's DRM was some sort of horrible hydra that actively scanned your hard drive for pirated media, locked you out from editing your files, reported back to Microsoft... you know, complete bullshit.  I have to mentally block out half the comments for it to be tolerable, because at least half the people on there will lap up whatever information panders to their bias without an ounce of critical thought, all the while mentally masturbating about how goddamn smart they all are.

It doesn't surprise me that most of my tech coworkers stopped reading it years ago.

• @vt_mruhlin said:

Have you ever tried to work with that stupid "ribbon" they put in recent office releases?
    I love that ribbon guy. He makes me happy.

• @DaveK said:

@Spectre said:

@kvdveer said:
    what does that say about \.?
    Backslashdot?

Well, actually it was just an escaped dot, until you went and quoted it, making the backslash superfluous.

News flash! The dot has finally made an escape from slashdot! We'll keep you updated.

• @Welbog said:

You're thinking of Clippy, and you should be shot.

• @bstorer said:

@Welbog said:

Ribbon is a pretty cool guy.  Eh sees I'm writing a letter and doesn't afraid of anything. 

• @bstorer said:

[quote user="Welbog"]I love that ribbon guy. He makes me happy.

[/quote]

No, I'm personifying the ribbon, because it is a cool bro. Clippy sucks and should never have been cIt looks like you're writing a letter.

One time I was writing my German final project in third year (which was a script for a skit we had to do in German in class - oy, German skits). I typed something like
    [code]Welbog: Guten Tag, wilkommen aus unsere blah blah whatever[/code]
    And the damned paperclip motherfucker thought I was writing a letter. I don't know how the shit it figured that out. Man I hate that thing. I didn't have it turned off 'cause I so rarely ever used Word and so never had the thing bother me before that.

• @Welbog said:

@bstorer said:

@Welbog said:

No, I'm personifying the ribbon, because it is a cool bro. Clippy sucks and should never have been cIt looks like you're writing a letter.

One time I was writing my German final project in third year (which was a script for a skit we had to do in German in class - oy, German skits). I typed something like
    <font size="2" face="Lucida Console">Welbog: Guten Tag, wilkommen aus unsere blah blah whatever</font>
    And the damned paperclip motherfucker thought I was writing a letter. I don't know how the shit it figured that out. Man I hate that thing. I didn't have it turned off 'cause I so rarely ever used Word and so never had the thing bother me before that.

"It looks like you're probably not writing a letter.  I like letters.  I think you should."  "Start with a word like MILK"  "And sponge, I like sponges!"

• @bstorer said:

"It looks like you're probably not writing a letter. I like letters. I think you should." "Start with a word like MILK" "And sponge, I like sponges!"

I really liked the WMP implementation in that one. It really spoke to me on a deep level.

• @bstorer said:

"It looks like you're probably not writing a letter.  I like letters.  I think you should."  "Start with a word like MILK"  "And sponge, I like sponges!"

WindowsRG had some really good features, like ordering food online. Although, when I tried it, it seemed most of them were unavailable.

• @vt_mruhlin said:

That's a pretty smart thing to do. If they changed the UI in a good (or even neutral) way, other companies would copy it without a second thought. Change it in a bad way, and the other companies are more reluctant. New users will dislike their programs all the same because they're not used to these strange menu things.

• @vt_mruhlin said:

Have you ever tried to work with that stupid "ribbon" they put in recent office releases?

I've found a pattern in Microsoft's products. (These boxes are not quoted from vt_mruhlin, they just look like quotes when you indent them. CS == TRWTF.)

When you first try to use one, you're all "WTF?" and you think it sucks.

Then you get used to it, and it's okay.

Then you go back to what you thought was so much better, and you discover that it sucks rocks.

So you come back to the Microsoft product, except now you think it's totally badass.

Compare what happens with an Apple product:

You pick it up and you go "OMG this is #$*%ing awesome!!!"

You use it every day and never think about anything else ever again.

This is why Apple sells eighty million crappy iPods and iPhones, while the Zune and all those Windows Mobile devices languish on store shelves. They get that initial "OH HOLY CRAP THIS IS GREAT" reaction, and then they can suck rocks all over the place and nobody cares.

If Microsoft could just figure out how to get that initial "WOW" response, the world would learn what a monopoly REALLY looks like.

• @vt_mruhlin said:

@The MAZZTer said:

Seconded. It is the main reason I refuse to "upgrade" to Office 2007. Secondary reason is the hassle of handling .docx, .xlsx formats. It's just not worth it.

I remember that AOL's crappy UI changes on ICQ were the final straw that made me switch over to MSN Messenger. Last time I checked, they had shat over most of the ICQ unique features, and is now nothing more than a MSN/Yahoo Messenger lookalike.

I'd dare to say that the only reason Office 2007 hasn't tanked hard is because there is no real equivalent to Office2003; if we had some competing "Macrosoft Office 2009" doing exactly the same stuff as Office 2003, or the Office 2007 ribbons but keeping with the 2003 UI, I'd bet my money that end users would flock en masse to the competition. Unfortunately, the closest Office clone (StarOffice/OpenOffice) isn't that transparent yet.

• @danixdefcon5 said:

@vt_mruhlin said:

@The MAZZTer said:

Seconded. It is the main reason I refuse to "upgrade" to Office 2007. Secondary reason is the hassle of handling .docx, .xlsx formats. It's just not worth it.

I remember that AOL's crappy UI changes on ICQ were the final straw that made me switch over to MSN Messenger. Last time I checked, they had shat over most of the ICQ unique features, and is now nothing more than a MSN/Yahoo Messenger lookalike.

I'd dare to say that the only reason Office 2007 hasn't tanked hard is because there is no real equivalent to Office2003; if we had some competing "Macrosoft Office 2009" doing exactly the same stuff as Office 2003, or the Office 2007 ribbons but keeping with the 2003 UI, I'd bet my money that end users would flock en masse to the competition. Unfortunately, the closest Office clone (StarOffice/OpenOffice) isn't that transparent yet.

I disagree.  My mom is one of the most technically illiterate people out there (she's one of those people to whom "Firefox == The Internet == Google"; if I tell her to open a web browser she will ask "You mean open Google?" because it's her homepage).  However, she picked up Office 2k7 (Word, mostly) quickly and seemed to have a much easier time with it than with previous incarnations of Office.  Hardcore Office users might be somewhat put-off by the UI changes, but it seems average users handle it just fine.

• @CDarklock said:

If Microsoft could just figure out how to get that initial "WOW" response

The interesting thing is that although they advertise using the word "fun" for releases of windows (especially Vista), they've managed to keep the OS extremely business-officey-like (especially Vista). By contrast Apple has this cool home-slick thing going on. (and Apple knows what "colour scheme" means, a concept that eluded the guys at MS -- three or four almost-clashing different ranges of blue tints in various parts of the interface of which only 1 is customisable: it's a little shameful, really)

@danixdefcon5 said:

@vt_mruhlin said:

@The MAZZTer said:

Clippy: "It looks like you're writing a rant but all I can hear is you saying: I'm afraid of change"

• @morbiuswilters said:

I think Ribbon is a pretty cool guy. Eh sees I'm writing a letter and doesn't afraid of anything.

I see what you did there. Also, FTFY.

• @Quietust said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    I think Ribbon is a pretty cool guy. Eh sees I'm writing a letter and doesn't afraid of anything.
    Protip: when correcting memes, make sure you correct them right instead of just partially right.

• @Welbog said:

@Quietust said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    Protip: when correcting memes, make sure you correct them right instead of just partially right.

Why don't you go a hero, you pedantic snob? 

• I accidentally morb's quote, what should I do?

•  @Welbog said:

I accidentally morb's quote, what should I do?

SUP DAWG, I HERD YOU LIKE QUOTING MORB, SO I QUOTED YOUR QUOTE SO YOU CAN QUOTE WHILE YOU QUOTE

• @morbiuswilters said:

I disagree.  My mom is one of the most technically illiterate people out there (she's one of those people to whom "Firefox == The Internet == Google"; if I tell her to open a web browser she will ask "You mean open Google?" because it's her homepage).
    Somewhere, in some dark, geeky corner of teh internets this is someone's version of a "yo mamma" joke.

• @sootzoo said:

@Welbog said:

I accidentally morb's quote, what should I do?

SUP DAWG, I HERD YOU LIKE QUOTING MORB, SO I QUOTED YOUR QUOTE SO YOU CAN QUOTE WHILE YOU QUOTE

I HERD U LIEK MORBKIPS?

• @Welbog said:

@Quietust said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    I think [b]Office 2007[/b] is a pretty cool guy. Eh sees I'm writing a letter and doesn't afraid of anything.

FTFYFTFY

@Welbog said:

@Quietust said:

@morbiuswilters said:

A meme huh? I've never smurfed of this meme but apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't smurf anything about it. I doesn't afraid of smurfes.

• @bjolling said:

A meme huh? I've never smurfed of this meme but apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't smurf anything about it. I doesn't afraid of smurfes.

your smurf.

•  All your ribbon are belong to us.