Who turned out the light?

• A few days ago, I've actually met someone who thought that the earth was 6k years old, everything revolved around the earth and the economic crisis is awful because she can't find the right color nail polish (she literally complained about this!). I've read about these people on some Internet forums, but I've always thought they were a myth.

Apparently, science was created by the devil, the arabs are terrorists, americans are the smartest people in the world who are going to rid the world of all it's problems, cats are the devil's pet because they are the only animals that eat other animals (mice). I'm sure you don't believe "the americans" landed on the moon, because you've clearly seen "scientific" arguments that the moon landing was fake and mathematics is only made of addition and multiplication. Integrals, derivates, limits and everything else is bullshit which is wrong and made up by the devil; if you believe in anything more than multiplication, you're a tool of the devil (again, she said this literally, but couldn't pronounce integrals, derivates, limits and actually used integrame(ro) instead of integrale(ro), which means cross-word puzzles AND, as a bonus, she also didn't know that there was any differente between the meanings of those two words, believing that cross-word puzzles are the same thing as integrals). God loves everyone, with no exception, except those who believe in science and I'm sure her computer was the only exception to this rule, but I was afraid of getting into an argument with this person. The economic crisis is clearly a problem, because she can't find the right color nail polish any more (citation).

Now, I'm convinced there is a God and all that she said was true, because I simply can't find any scientific answer to the question "HOW CAN THIS PERSON STILL BE ALIVE?"

•  I'm a Christian and none of my christian friends think like that.

In our group we regularly meet and discuss different science discoveries and different religions and how some are connected and history and so on. No-one I know thinks like that. I hate it when people give a bad name to christianity in a way like she does. Thinking that everything is from the devil and yadda yadda yadda...

But then again, she's American and... let's just say that people in my school do not have high regards thowards American's and they're intellectual capacity.

P.S.
    Yeah, I know, the TRWTF is that I used punctuation wrong... sue me!

P.P.S.
    I don't believe that earth is 6k year old. That is something which is pretty obvious. The real age of earth is prettu disambiguous from the Bible point of view.

• @BlackMan890 said:

But then again, she's American and... let's just say that people in my school do not have high regards thowards American's and they're intellectual capacity.

First of all, people are insane everywhere. Someone where i live built a scale model of noah's arc. America is not the only one that has loonies.

Secondly, if you don't believe the bible why then believe god? 

• I'm a sort of Christian, too. I am Christian, I believe there is some god, but I'm not religious.

@BlackMan890 said:

But then again, she's American and... let's just say that people in my
    school do not have high regards thowards American's and they're
    intellectual capacity.

Who is the "she" you are referring to? If it's the "she" from my post, then she's Romanian and she looks at people from U.S. as if they were gods themselves and thinks, as most people, that U.S. = the American continent (I didn't dare ask nor explain about Canada or Argentina)

• @rohypnol said:

Who is the "she" you are referring to? If it's the "she" from my post, then she's Romanian and she looks at people from U.S. as if they were gods themselves and thinks, as most people, that U.S. = the American continent (I didn't dare ask nor explain about Canada or Argentina)

Sorry, I thought the person you were talking about was American. My bad.

@stratos said:

Secondly, if you don't believe the bible why then believe god? 

I do believe the bible. The problem is that the word used in the bible in Genesis when he's naming the family tree is disambiguous. For example:

@Genesis 5:6 said:

When Seth had lived 105 years, he became the father of Enosh.
    The original hebrew word means "relationship" and does not necessarily mean the age the son was born. This reference lengthens the original time from 6k to around 18k - 20k.

That is what I mean by disambiguous and therefore to determine the age of 6k is pretty far off...

• @BlackMan890 said:

I do believe the bible. The problem is that the word used in the bible in Genesis when he's naming the family tree is disambiguous. For example:

The original hebrew word means "relationship" and does not necessarily mean the age the son was born. This reference lengthens the original time from 6k to around 18k - 20k.

That is what I mean by disambiguous and therefore to determine the age of 6k is pretty far off...

So you believe the world is 18k - 20k years old?

• @username_not_found said:

Didn't mean that either. Just saying that it's hard to determine the real age from the Bible point of view. I am not going to start and heated argument about the scientific point of view on the earth age either. 🙂

My original point is that people like her give a bad name to christianity 😞

• @BlackMan890 said:

Don't worry, this forum doesn't have high regards thowards (sic) you and you're (sic) intellectual capacity.

• @rohypnol said:

Now, I'm convinced there is a God and all that she said was true, because I simply can't find any scientific answer to the question "HOW CAN THIS PERSON STILL BE ALIVE?"

She survives through the divine grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, as do we all, of course. RAmen!

• @BlackMan890 said:

That makes it [i]ambiguous[/i]. If "disambiguous" was a word it would mean the opposite.

• @rohypnol said:

...science was created by the devil...

Perhaps not science, but math definitely was.   Who doesn't hate math?

@rohypnol said:

...the arabs are terrorists...

Common mistake.  The Muslims are terrorists: many Middle Eastern Muslims are not Arab.

@rohypnol said:

...americans are the smartest people in the world who are going to rid the world of all it's [sic] problems...

I'd like to agree with this, except if we really were that smart we wouldn't be trying to rid the world of all its problems.

@rohypnol said:

...cats are the devil's pet because they are the only animals that eat other animals (mice).

:3

@rohypnol said:

I'm sure you don't believe "the americans" landed on the moon, because you've clearly seen "scientific" arguments that the moon landing was fake...

Yes, and the Jews did 9/11.

• @BlackMan890 said:

Filed under: Can someone fix my punctuations please? and my grammar errors.

@BlackMan890 said:

I'm a Christian and none of my christian <font color="#dd0000">("Christian" should always be capitalized)</font> friends think like that.

In our group we regularly meet and discuss different science discoveries and different religions and how some are connected and history and so on. No-one <font color="#dd0000">(no need for the hyphen) </font>I know thinks like that. I hate it when people give a bad name to christianity <font color="#dd0000">(see above) </font>in a way like she does. Thinking that everything is from the devil and yadda yadda yadda...

But then again, she's American and... let's just say that people in my school do not have high regards thowards <font color="#dd0000">(not actually a word -- perhaps you meant "towards"?)</font> American's <font color="#dd0000">("Americans" not "American's" -- the former is plural, the latter possessive) </font>and they're <font color="#dd0000">("their" not the contraction of "they are")</font> intellectual capacity.

P.S.
    Yeah, I know, the TRWTF is that I used punctuation wrong... sue me!

P.P.S.
    I don't believe that earth <font color="#dd0000">("Earth" should be capitalized) </font>is 6k year old. That is something which is pretty obvious. The real age of earth <font color="#dd0000">(ditto)</font> is prettu <font color="#dd0000">(not actually a word -- perhaps you meant "pretty"?)</font> disambiguous <font color="#dd0000">(definitely not a word -- "disambiguated" is a word, but probably also isn't what you were looking for) </font>from the Bible <font color="#dd0000">("Biblical")</font> point of view.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@rohypnol said:

...cats are the devil's pet because they are the only animals that eat other animals (mice).

What does the :3 mean? I can't even STFG for it! Damn Google is getting so "natural" these days that it tries too hard to understand what you're looking for, thus making exact searches impossible. Is anyone aware of a way to find documents containing an exact piece of text or a regexp using any popular search engine? It's awful when you have to search for something like "1%2#3" or anything non-natural. The only exception to this that I've been able to find was Google's code search. I guess this would qualify as one one of the greatesr WTFs on the Internet (unless I'm mistaking and there is such a thing as a regexp search on a popular search engine).

I suppose it's a mouse or the head of a mouse, from what I've been able to find until now: <font face="courier new,courier"><:3)---</font>

• @rohypnol said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@rohypnol said:

What does the :3 mean? I can't even STFG for it! Damn Google is getting so "natural" these days that it tries too hard to understand what you're looking for, thus making exact searches impossible. Is anyone aware of a way to find documents containing an exact piece of text or a regexp using any popular search engine? It's awful when you have to search for something like "1%2#3" or anything non-natural. The only exception to this that I've been able to find was Google's code search. I guess this would qualify as one one of the greatesr WTFs on the Internet (unless I'm mistaking and there is such a thing as a regexp search on a popular search engine).

I suppose it's a mouse or the head of a mouse, from what I've been able to find until now: <font face="courier new,courier"><:3)---</font>

• @BlackMan890 said:

@username_not_found said:

Didn't mean that either. Just saying that it's hard to determine the real age from the Bible point of view. I am not going to start and heated argument about the scientific point of view on the earth age either. 🙂

The people who treat the first chapter of Genesis as describing a 7*24 hour period didn't really come around until the Bible was translated into English (or maybe Latin, I forget). The Hebrew word originally used in those verses is (I think) "yamin", which simply refers to "a passage of time".  You have to remember that the language we call "Biblical Hebrew" only had a few thousand words--far fewer than modern day English, requiring the same word to be translated many different ways.  This yamin = day also shows up in expressions such as "The day (yamin) of the Romans" or "The day (yamin) of God's wrath", neither of which are referring to a 24 hour period.

• @DaveK said:

@rohypnol said:

She survives through the divine grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, as do we all, of course. RAmen!

Sauce be upon you.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@rohypnol said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@rohypnol said:

But should nevar be confused with  >:3

• @North Bus said:

The people who treat the first chapter of Genesis as describing a 7*24 hour period didn't really come around until the Bible was translated into English (or maybe Latin, I forget). The Hebrew word originally used in those verses is (I think) "yamin", which simply refers to "a passage of time".  You have to remember that the language we call "Biblical Hebrew" only had a few thousand words--far fewer than modern day English, requiring the same word to be translated many different ways.  This yamin = day also shows up in expressions such as "The day (yamin) of the Romans" or "The day (yamin) of God's wrath", neither of which are referring to a 24 hour period.

This reminded me of [url=http://www.fstdt.com/fundies/]this site[/url] and especially of this quote: [i]"If your original Hebrew disagrees with my original King James --- your
    original Hebrew is wrong. If your original Hebrew agrees with my
    original King James, your original Hebrew is right."[/i]

• @tdb said:

This reminded me of this site and especially of this quote: "If your original Hebrew disagrees with my original King James --- your
    original Hebrew is wrong. If your original Hebrew agrees with my
    original King James, your original Hebrew is right."

Alternatively (and I don't think you'll find either of these on there):

"Christian Biblical literalists are trusting themselves to an archaic English translation of a Latin translation of (help me out here...) Greek? Aramaic? source.  I wouldn't even trust a VCR manual to make it through that intact."  -- Dr. Dee

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen Roberts

• @PJH said:

I wouldn't even trust a VCR manual to make it through that intact

I wouldn't trust a VCR manual to make in intact through a reading.

But that goes for the Bible as well.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.