Verizon math

•  Sad that, not only do the customer service people fail to understand this, but so apparently did the software that calculated the bill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCJ3Oz5JVKs&eurl=http://failblog.org/

• Barring that the original story is from 2006, TRWTF is using YouTube for audio clips. I think.

• In fact, it was actually kind of old way back when it posted here last time!

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/7687/143113.aspx#143113

• It's all good, the customer eventually paid up.

•  Reminds me of the time I went to Sonic for their two for one burgers.  Every time they tried to calculate the total, it came up wrong.  What so hard about 8 burgers at half price?  They never did get the total right... And that's with everybody in the place working on it and the manager using her cell phone calculator - to try to figure out a total I could get in my head. Higher math seems to be a lost art these days.

• @Spectre said:

Barring that the original story is from 2006, TRWTF is using YouTube for audio clips. I think.
    FTFY

• @bstorer said:

@Spectre said:

Barring that the original story is from 2006, TRWTF is using YouTube for audio clips. I think.

FTFY

FTFY

• @itFinallyWorks said:

to try to figure out a total I could get in my head. Higher math seems to be a lost art these days.

My mother always tells the story about how back in school the 1940's they used to have a math based pop quiz on a Friday afternoon. As soon as you answered a question correctly you could go home. As a result it honed her mental math skills to the point that teachers would ignore her raising her hand to answer a question so as to give other students a chance.

I can't imagine anything like that be tried now. It would probably be classed as "cruel and unusual" punishment.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@OzPeter said:

As soon as you answered a question correctly you could go home. As a result it honed her mental math skills to the point that teachers would ignore her raising her hand to answer a question so as to give other students a chance.
    Wouldn't not being there, having answered a question correctly, given the other students a chance? Or did you mean a 'chance to go home before your mother?'

@OzPeter said:

I can't imagine anything like that be tried now. It would probably be classed as "cruel and unusual" punishment.
    Considering in .uk all students are taught these days is how to pass tests (as opposed to anything more useful,) it wouldn't be allowed since it doesn't help in that aim.

• @cconroy said:

<check written by Randall Munroe>

• @menta said:

@bstorer said:

@Spectre said:

FTFY

FTFY

Now is better

• :belt_onion:

@OzPeter said:

@itFinallyWorks said:
    to try to figure out a total I could get in my head. Higher math seems to be a lost art these days.
    My mother always tells the story about how back in school the 1940's they used to have a math based pop quiz on a Friday afternoon. As soon as you answered a question correctly you could go home. As a result it honed her mental math skills to the point that teachers would ignore her raising her hand to answer a question so as to give other students a chance.
    I used to have a math teacher like that (about 20 years ago). He would give a high grade to the student who could answer his quiz. I never before had such high grades for being so bad at maths. The year after I had a different teacher and my grades plummeted.

Of course, an African swallow could have kept them up but they are non-migratory :-(

• @zzo38 said:

@menta said:

@bstorer said:

@Spectre said:

FTFY

FTFY

Now is better

I better'ed your mum.