Awesome Windows

• Clearly my install of XP has discovered a new way of connecting to the web without a network connection.

As per the screenshot, there are no network connections (1394 doesn't count - WTH is that anyway?), yet Skype, MSN and GTalk are all connected. Awesome. Internet through the ether.

http://omg.wthax.org/no_network.jpg

•  TRWTF is that your link causes a redirect loop.

•  Yeah, I know the guy who runs the site. I'll have to poke him with a stick. I've stuck it with Imageshack now:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

•  Meh.

Vista often tells me there is no network connection, but when I right-click on the icon >  network centre > click on the red X to diagnose the connection, it does a bit of soul searching and tells me it found no problems, and indeed the connection starts working at that exact moment.

May be related. Some refresh issue or other.

• @seamustheseagull said:

1394 doesn't count - WTH is that anyway?

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394_interface[/url]

@seamustheseagull said:

Awesome. Internet through the ether.

What, never heard of EtherNet?

• Ah, the old "Not connected"/"Disconnect" Windows XP wireless bug.

Happens all the time, why Microsoft still hasn't got around to this I'll never understand. Of course, the actual reason is that Microsoft never fix non-showstopping, non-security related bugs in "finished" products.

•  Turn off Referers and you'll get the image. (Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox has a convenient option for this)

• My favourite was when XP randomly connected to my neighbour's wifi. Except it had WEP, and I hadn't entered a key. Needless to say, the connection didn't actually work, but Windows insisted it was connected to an encrypted network without the key.

• @Brother Laz said:

Vista often tells me there is no network connection, but when I right-click on the icon >  network centre > click on the red X to diagnose the connection, it does a bit of soul searching and tells me it found no problems, and indeed the connection starts working at that exact moment.
    You're lucky.  It tells me there is a connection when I can not in fact access the internet.  Diagnose never helps. Sometimes disabling and re-enabling my wireless card fixes the problem, other times it needs rebooting of the DSL router, and sometimes my computer needs a reboot.

• @lolwtf said:

Needless to say, the connection didn't actually work
    Ever notice that when people say "needless to say," they come out and say it anyway?  WTF is the point of that?

• @belgariontheking said:

Ever notice that when people say "needless to say," they come out and say it anyway?  WTF is the point of that?
    I know the answer, but I thought about it and decided that I don't need to say it.

• @belgariontheking said:

@lolwtf said:

Needless to say, the connection didn't actually work

It's supposed to be subtly insulting, as in "this should be obvious for everyone, but I'll spell it out for [i]total idiots like you[/i]!". And the best part is that it doesn't actually sound insulting, so you can't retaliate without sounding like a dick.