"But you've made changes to your project. Do you really want to save it?"

• I was using a commercial piece of chip programming software (http://www.softecmicro.com/). Created a project, programmed some chips, and decided to save the project now everything was how I wanted it. It popped up the following dialog box:

Either option opens a file selector to save the file, but only "yes" actually saves the file. 

• @Mole said:

Either option opens a file selector to save the file, but only "yes" actually saves the file. 

I don't see any WTFs here ... if you choose Yes, it will save the project. If you choose no, it won't save it. The fact that it shows you a file selection dialog is probably an unexpected and undocumented feature.

• @rohypnol said:

@Mole said:

I don't see any WTFs here

I see four:

• It's asking "Do you want to save" as a result of selecting the "Save" menu option.
    • The wording implies that you would normally only want to save if you haven't made changes.
    • It brings up a (non-functional) "save file" selector if you select "no, I don't want to save the file".
    • You can't see any of the above WTFs.

• @Carnildo said:

@rohypnol said:

@Mole said:

I don't see any WTFs here

I see four:

• It's asking "Do you want to save" as a result of selecting the "Save" menu option.
    • The wording implies that you would normally only want to save if you haven't made changes.
    • It brings up a (non-functional) "save file" selector if you select "no, I don't want to save the file".
    • You can't see any of the above WTFs.

Please check your sarcasm detector, I have strong reasons to believe it may not function properly.

• @Carnildo said:

* It's asking "Do you want to save" as a result of selecting the "Save" menu option.

* The wording implies that you would normally only want to save if you haven't made changes.

Now, maybe this is because I'm used to working with files which change on disk while I'm editing them (if I update from Subversion, for example), but I read that error message as:

"Another application has changed the file, if you save you will overwrite those changes. Do you still want to save?"

Of course, the message could and should be clearer. And bringing up a non-functioning "Save file" dialog is a WTF definitely.

•  @PhillS said:

I read that error message as:"Another application has changed the file, if you save you will overwrite those changes. Do you still want to save?"

I can also tell you that this is the only application that can read those files, and that it happens every time you select the Save option when the project settings have been changed. No dialog box appears when the settings have not been changed (and, interestingly, the "Save" icon is greyed out until you make a change, but File->Save still functions normally).

The same box appears if you choose "Save as".

Luckily you don't change the project options much.

Hmmm, the box does not show up if you open the program, create a project, and then immediately save that project. However, if you then make some changes and try to save again, you get the dialog (as you do if you open an existing project, make some changes and then try to Save/Save As).