Bloggies, wtf?



  • I think the bloggies website should get an honourable mention on this site.

    When was it decided that it's okay to scroll sideways nine screens to navigate a website?

    BTW, vote for thedailywtf if you want to.  You don't have to vote for a site from each category.



  • I'll second the honorable mention just because the site is... different.  But the layout does make some sense.  And it's smart enough to have my mouse wheel scroll sideways, so I kinda like it. 



  • @belgariontheking said:

    I think the bloggies website should get an honourable mention on this site.

    When was it decided that it's okay to scroll sideways nine screens to navigate a website?

    I was thinking the exact same thing. As someone who browses in an 840x1050 pixel (width x height) window, this website was especially annoying for me. Also, I didn't see my blog among the nominations, so obviously the site is shit, right? I ended up voting for TDWTF using a GuerrillaMail account. (hurrrrblogvotan@guerrillamail.com or something like that. I've forgotten.) We'll see whether that vote ends up being counted.



  •  It is a bit annoying. Why would they decide to switch the medium to horizontal? How it doesn't catch on.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    You don't have to vote for a site from each category.
     

    Yet they obviously don't want their users figuring that out at all.  There's no "clear vote" option, so I had to re-get (refresh kept the selections)  the page after figuring this out.

     



  •  I actually like the idea. The design is "special", and as long as it's only a few sites.. no problem. "WTF" in a positive way for me!



  • The captcha's very effective. I can't read it.



  • @AlpineR said:

    I'll second the honorable mention just because the site is... different.  But the layout does make some sense.  And it's smart enough to have my mouse wheel scroll sideways, so I kinda like it. 

    Actually, for me at least on Safari, it only scrolls until the "best web applications" section is in the middle of the page, then stops. If I want the scroll wheel to continue working, I have to move my mouse down into the area where the buttons are. I wonder how many visitors went there and weren't able to scroll all the way to the end, and just gave up because they couldn't figure out the magic incantation to make it scroll more?



  • @dcardani said:

    Actually, for me at least on Safari, it only scrolls until the "best web applications" section is in the middle of the page, then stops. If I want the scroll wheel to continue working, I have to move my mouse down into the area where the buttons are.
    Look, we all know Safari sucks.

    @dcardani said:

    I wonder how many visitors went there and weren't able to scroll all the way to the end, and just gave up because they couldn't figure out the magic incantation to make it scroll more?
    Less than 1% of the internet.



  • @dhromed said:

    The captcha's very effective. I can't read it.

     

    Have you ever wondered whether you might be a computer?  Because right now all signs are pointing to yes.



  • @cconroy said:

    @dhromed said:

    The captcha's very effective. I can't read it.

     

    Have you ever wondered whether you might be a computer?  Because right now all signs are pointing to yes.

    Actually, it seems OCR software has reached the point where it is more effective at cracking CAPTCHAs than humans are.  This is partly why I was never fond of the damn things, because I knew it wouldn't be long before technology was better at interpreting them than we were. 



  • @cconroy said:

    @dhromed said:

    The captcha's very effective. I can't read it.

     

    Have you ever wondered whether you might be a computer?  Because right now all signs are pointing to yes.

    <sotto voce> pssst.... dhromed....  it's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response.

    @cconroy said:
    Shall we continue?

    Oh, he did NOT just say that. I'm getting out of here before it kicks off! 



  • @DaveK said:

    it's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response.
     

    You gonna call Rick Deckard on me?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    TRWTF is this:

    A "weblog" is defined as a page with dated entries.

    I dunno about you guys, but back in the day we used to call those "Websites". An organizational structure does not a blog make. A blog is a website with a particular organizational structure with at least one irritating fuckface puking content onto it at least once a week.

    Additionally, the word "blog" disgusts me. "Weblog" is equally offensive.



  • @Weng said:

    A "weblog" is defined as a page with dated entries.

    I dunno about you guys, but back in the day we used to call those "Websites"

    I used to call those "historical records"



  • @Weng said:

    TRWTF is this:

    A "weblog" is defined as a page with dated entries.

    I dunno about you guys, but back in the day we used to call those "Websites". An organizational structure does not a blog make. A blog is a website with a particular organizational structure with at least one irritating fuckface puking content onto it at least once a week.

    Additionally, the word "blog" disgusts me. "Weblog" is equally offensive.

    The term "Blogosphere," tenfold so.



  • the Blagoblag?



  • @Pjotr G said:

    Filed under: DONT MAKE A REFERENCE, DONT DO IT



  • @Weng said:

    Additionally, the word "blog" disgusts me. "Weblog" [sic] is equally offensive.

    Oh yeah? Screw you, pal.



  • @Juifeng said:

     I actually like the idea. The design is "special", and as long as it's only a few sites.. no problem. "WTF" in a positive way for me!

    "special" as in "special needs"?

    It definitely breaks the web design 'rule' of don't make me think



  • @Welbog said:

    @Weng said:

    Additionally, the word "blog" disgusts me. "Weblog" [sic] is equally offensive.

    Oh yeah? Screw you, pal.
    Thanks, I needed that laugh!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.