Average age of TDWTF'ers

• @whatthefrak said:

@dhromed said:

@whatthefrak said:

[I am] 14. I gave up on chicks years ago

Oh, the folly of youth.

Ok, I'm not gay, and that wasn't exactly years ago. It was as soon as I realized that no chicks would go out with me since I wasted all my time writing C++ to do my algebra II and watching Star Trek.

UPDATE: Yes, I know full well that "What the Frak?" is B.S.G.

Once you reach the career stage of your life, you will suddenly find that the size of your wallet can overcome many physical shortcomings (and almost all social shortcomings).

Myself, I am CurrentAge = ((CurrentYear + doy/365.25) - 1979.065708419)

I realize that the decimal portion is generalized since the turn of the century is not a leap year unless the year is divisible by 400, but since I don't expect my life to last until 2100, that formula should be close enough.

• @smbarbour said:

Once you reach the career stage of your life, you will suddenly find that the size of your wallet can overcome many physical shortcomings (and almost all social shortcomings).

Hey, let me go make a wallet out of a piece of posterboard and duct tape. I wonder if that will be big enough. :) 

• @whatthefrak said:

@dhromed said:

@whatthefrak said:

[I am] 14. I gave up on chicks years ago

Oh, the folly of youth.

Ok, I'm not gay, and that wasn't exactly years ago. It was as soon as I realized that no chicks would go out with me since I wasted all my time writing C++ to do my algebra II and watching Star Trek.

For what it's worth, I managed to marry a woman who thinks that people who can program in C, C++, and Perl are pretty hot.  (It wasn't that hard once I found her - I'm versed in many programming languages.  And, I listen.)  She's seen more Star Trek than I have.

• @tgape said:

For what it's worth, I managed to marry a woman who thinks that people who can program in C, C++, and Perl are pretty hot.  (It wasn't that hard once I found her - I'm versed in many programming languages.  And, I listen.)  She's seen more Star Trek than I have.

I have some very bad news for you: your wife is a dude.  I am so sorry.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@tgape said:
    A totally hot dude.

• @Welbog said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @tgape said:
    A totally hot dude.
    I'm thinking of a song~

• For what it's worth, I managed to marry a woman who thinks that people who can program in C, C++, and Perl are pretty hot.  (It wasn't that hard once I found her - I'm versed in many programming languages.  And, I listen.)  She's seen more Star Trek than I have.

You, good sir, are a lucky man.

• @Indrora said:

@Welbog said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @tgape said:
    A totally hot dude.
    I'm thinking of a song~

Is it "Lola" by The Kinks?

• @smbarbour said:

@Indrora said:

@Welbog said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @tgape said:
    A totally hot dude.
    I'm thinking of a song~

Was thinking more Dude Looks Like a Lady, but Lola works fine.

• @smbarbour said:

@Indrora said:

@Welbog said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @tgape said:
    A totally hot dude.
    I'm thinking of a song~

Don't listen to them. I believe in attainable perfection.

• 23.5ish...

Started programming in BASIC aged 11 but didn't really get into programming until my 2nd year of University when I took a Computer Simulation course, then programmed a simulation of a Quantum Computer for my final project in my last year.  All done in Java of course lol.

• :belt_onion:

@bjolling said:

I'm 3 days away from 33.

I started writing code when I was 12. I asked my dad for a Commodore 64 just like the neighbours' kids but all I got was this Tandy 1000 HX :-) Actually a decent PC with MS-DOS 2.11 on a bootable ROM and a 3 1/2" floppy disk drive

I started with BASIC and then made the transition to GW-BASIC, QBASIC, Turbo Pascal, VB6, C++, VB.NET and now C#

Upping the average! Today is my 34th birthday.

This is what my 3 year old daughter sang to me:

Happy birthday to you,
    In de wei staat een koe.
    En de koe zegt "I love you."
    Happy birthday to you.

Sweet, isn't it?

• @bjolling said:

Sweet, isn't it?

Not quite on par with a child spotting death in a teacher's eyes.

Started programming at 13 due to a tutor in qbasic. Did 2 years in hs. Really got into it in college at 19ish.

I started working as a programmer at 22.

...But I can say at my clear that I started my interest in Pc and related very late...

;-)

• @Cimpy said:

*looks at avatar

Let me guess.

Oil of Olaz.

• I'm 49. First computer was a Commodore Plus/4 (a WTF in itself). Noodled around with Basic on that for a little while then got bored and ripped off, erm, sold it to very deserving dental supply company. Didn't even look at computers again until I acquired a used XT in '89. Couple years and computers later I bought a book on VB and taught myself. First job was creating an application in Access for a calling card outfit in London. Pretty much trapped in Access/VBA ever since. Well, there was a short stint of VB work in late '99-early 2000.

But now, my work is making me learn C#. I don't mind. I feel like a dinosaur around all my younger (smarter) co-workers.

22 in IT. Started programming in assembler then C then as BA, PM. Now Test manager/Test Consultant.

Testing, now THIS is where you find DAILY WTF's.

• Age 31... what's programming?

• I'm 0x1C, aka twenty-eight

•  I graduated from high school 9 years before IBM released their first PC.

Started ~15.  C first, but didn't grok it; first that (sorta) clicked was FORTRAN 77.

• 1080 orbits.

Hmm, I didn't realize until now what a nice, round number that is.

• I'm 42 and my gender is female.  I've just skewed the results now, haven't I?

I've been a developer in the software industry for over 20 years and started with some form of BASIC (GW-BASIC maybe?) on TRS-80 machines with cassette tapes in high school.   For part of my final project in my high school class, I was trying to animate spider legs with an algorithm by refreshing the screen with X's displaying in the proper position on the screen.  It didn't work and I pulled it - that was my very first pruning of an overextended project.  

• RE :Average age of TDWTF'ers

25.  I was first exposed to a 286 at age 5 (parents shelled out the extra money for a 40 MB drive).  Only was a power user until I was introduced to QBASIC and C++ by the most clueless of computer teachers ever in high school.  Learned NQC for a robotics class.  Then, in college, I started to learn a whole bunch of languages for doing my meteorolgy work (Perl, Matlab, C, Fortran, GrADS, Python, S+, etc.).

At some point, I got a couple of degrees and got married (but that isn't really important...)

First contact with programming around 10, on Thomson machines (TO7 and MO5), discovering BASIC and LOGO. But I haven't been professionnally involved in CS before I was 30. So I am rather proud to claim being an old noob !

working as a programmer for about 10 years now..