My cursor is a bunch of lettuce!

• This isn't so much a WTF but more of a funny support story.

At a company I used to work for a long time ago, I was a software engineer and also the 2nd line of support for some tech support issues.  Back then, everyone in tech support had to login to a bunch of different Unix boxes using some terminal program for the Mac.  One afternoon, I got a call from one of the tech support people and she said, "Hey, can you help me?  My cursor is a bunch of lettuce!".  I didn't know what she was talking about, so I went around to tech support to find her but she wasn't around.  I asked her co-worker if he knew anything about this "lettuce cursor thing" and he had no clue.  Later on, I went by her desk again, and saw that when she was logged into one of the Unix machines through the terminal program and she hit the up arrow key to recall the previous command, it would show some escape sequence with a bunch of random letters and other characters.  I laughed so hard when I finally realized what she was really saying (in her thick Boston accent).  I told her co-worker what happened and he had a laugh too.  The next morning before she got in we changed her Mac mouse pointer into a head of lettuce icon.

-the hermit

• So basically, you failed to hear what someone said to you and therefore assumed they were stupid and then to punish her for your own failing decided to mess with her computer. It's amazing what passes for "funny" these days.

• So, in summary: Boston accents are hilarious.

Thanks for your contribution.

• @sootzoo said:

So, in summary: Boston accents are hilarious.

Well, they are. Isn't that the only reason Denis Leary still gets work?

• @Flatline said:

So basically, you failed to hear what someone said to you and therefore assumed they were stupid and then to punish her for your own failing decided to mess with her computer. It's amazing what passes for "funny" these days.

Yeah. They're called practical jokes and as long as they're harmless, they're funny. I used to work for a company where we played pranks on each other very often. Whenever we had some free time, we tried to pull one on the newest employee. Of course, it never damaged anything and the time spend on pulling it off wasn't important all as we usually had no work to do for a day or two every once in a while. This was also a sort of test, so we could see how the new people react, if they can take a joke, if they know how to fix things themselves or how to ask for help.

Your interpretation is complete bullshit. The author never said he found that person to be stupid or that he changed their pointer into a lettuce to punish her. (1)They had a small communication problem and he imagined something completely different than what she was experiencing and (2) that wasn't punishment, that was something completely harmless and I don't see it being insulting in any way. People make a bit of fun of each other all the time, it's a way to interact with others. You let them make fun of you so they feel good and you make fun of them so you feel good for it. Don't you dare try to interpret "fun" as hanging buckets of paint on top of the doors so they get coloured as they enter the room. Sometimes, people share their own WTFs with others, so that everyone may laugh and enjoy their company. Admitting and realizing your own stupidity is one of the few things that make you actually smart. Of course, everything has a limit - and if you remove this from the original context, you only prove your own stupidity. One of the greatest philosophers once said "I know one thing: I know nothing." I don't remember who said it or if those were his exact words, but maybe you should get out of your cave and explore for a bit.

So basically, yeah, people with a sense of humor find these things funny, even if they're the "victims" of these completelly harmless pranks which aren't meant to insult anyone.

•  I also forgot to mention, I bet you're fun at parties! I'm sure everyone laughts at how dull you are...

• Ah yes those wacky Bostonians.

• @rohypnol said:

One of the greatest philosophers once said "I know one thing: I know nothing."

That was [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates]Socrates[/url] (and I suppose his exact words were in ancient greek)

• I thought it was pretty amusing.  Evidently most of the dicks above have no sense of humor.

And WTF is with the meters?  Not only are they retarded but the people who use them seem justified in just posting a fucking image instead of writing any kind of sensible, thought-out reply.  Try to use your words, people.  Fuck, the OP even said it wasn't a WTF so then having two morons post WTF meters reading 0 is the epitome of an obnoxious, pointless contribution.  If you don't like an OP, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut or at least try to offer some constructive criticism.  Thanks. 

• TRWTF is that the random escape gobbly gook is not a bunch of letters.  letter = [a-zA-Z].   She should have told you her cursor was a bunch of cactus.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I thought it was pretty amusing.  Evidently most of the dicks above have no sense of humor.

And WTF is with the meters?  Not only are they retarded but the people who use them seem justified in just posting a fucking image instead of writing any kind of sensible, thought-out reply.  Try to use your words, people.  Fuck, the OP even said it wasn't a WTF so then having two morons post WTF meters reading 0 is the epitome of an obnoxious, pointless contribution.  If you don't like an OP, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut or at least try to offer some constructive criticism.  Thanks. 

BTW, I agree that the WTF-Meter is the dumbest shit.  I mean, it was funny a couple times, now it just serves as another way for people to be dicks without actually communicating anything.

• @tster said:

She should have told you her cursor was a bunch of cactus.

Do you mean [url=http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/t/8856.aspx]crackers[/url]?

• We should make a BBCode tag for it.

I recommend [iamaloser].

If you're logged in as the person who made the post, this is translated to the WTFmeter image.

If you're not, it just prints the text "I am a loser."

• @tster said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I thought it was pretty amusing.  Evidently most of the dicks above have no sense of humor.

BTW, I agree that the WTF-Meter is the dumbest shit.  I mean, it was funny a couple times, now it just serves as another way for people to be dicks without actually communicating anything.

So you're saying the WTF-meter is the cancer that's killing TDWTF?

• @DaveK said:

So you're saying the WTF-meter is the cancer that's killing TDWTF?

Yes.  That, and the dick cancer that you have in your dick. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

*standing ovation*

• @morbiuswilters said:

Your post bores me.  Have a mug with a meter on it.

• @bstorer said:

Have a mug with a meter on it.

Not enough meme. It needs a wooden table and "brillant" somewhere on it. And it needs to be made out of CAPTCHAs.

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Your post bores me.  Have a mug with a meter on it.

When the WTf Meter & The Mug combine, the Apocalypse is near.

@tOmcOlins said:

@morbiuswilters said:

*standing ovation*

Whole Heartedly Agree with that. Use them with an actual review, they are supplements, not replacements. I've always wanted to say this cliche line: "TRWTF is the WTF Meters by themselves."

• @morbiuswilters said:

I find the WTF meters a pretty funny idea. If the posters had written text with them, they'd have ruined the joke.

You've already told us you don't like the WTFMeters. No need to repeat it at every occasion where one is used.

• This story was funny (not hilarious, but chuckle-worthy) until you changed her cursor. Then you just became an asshole.

• @lolwtf said:

This story was funny (not hilarious, but chuckle-worthy) until you changed her cursor. Then you just became an asshole.
    only if you have thin skin. Normal people laughed at that too.

• Yeah, I'd give the story 2 1/2 chuckles but only 1/8 WTF.

@tster said:

@lolwtf said:

This story was funny (not hilarious, but chuckle-worthy) until you changed her cursor. Then you just became an asshole.
    only if you have thin skin. Normal people laughed at that too.

You must be really popular among your coworkers, must you?

• @PSWorx said:

Depends on the coworkers.

In my case, the dumbfuck asshole, the gay-ass raspberry, and the terrible, terrible man, oldest guy alive with a blackened piece of shrapnel for a heart.

We never do practical jokes, though. We just insult each other all the time.

• @dhromed said:

@PSWorx said:

Depends on the coworkers.

In my case, the dumbfuck asshole, the gay-ass raspberry, and the terrible, terrible man, oldest guy alive with a blackened piece of shrapnel for a heart.

We never do practical jokes, though. We just insult each other all the time.

Shrapnel Guy told me you eat poop.  I'm inclined to believe him.

• @bstorer said:

Shrapnel Guy told me you eat poop.

The irony is that, while I alledgedly eat poop, you are the one full of shite.

• @Steeldragon said:

Whole Heartedly Agree with that. Use them with an actual review, they are supplements, not replacements. I've always wanted to say this cliche line: "TRWTF is the WTF Meters by themselves."
    Agreed.

Hence:

@Quietust said:

[img]http://tdwtf.dtechnology.nl/WTFmeter.php?WTF=42|43|42|41&type=gif[/img]

• @rohypnol said:

One of the greatest philosophers once said "I know one thing: I know nothing."

He also said, "Blech!  Hemlock tastes like CRAP!

•  Wow, my image quoting failed badly, although it looks alright in the preview and quote window.

• @Eternal Density said:

Wow, my image quoting failed badly, although it looks alright in the preview and quote window.

Looks fine to me. (Firefox 3.0.3 on Mac)

• Yeah meters. All I can say is

Edit:

forgot [iamaloser]

• @joemck said:

Looks fine to me. (Firefox 3.0.3 on Mac)
    Fine for me now too.  Must have been a temporary meter generator glitch.

I would have mentioned this a couple of days ago, but the thread was dead.  Thanks "the real wft fool" for dragging it back.

• The main thing that made it funny for me was the fact that when I saw the subject, I sang it to the tune of Moxy Früvous's 'My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors' in my head.

• @NSCoder said:

The main thing that made it funny for me was the fact that when I saw the subject

I thought of a story I heard in (Catholic) primary school called "Lettuce Pray".

And it took me some time to realise Lettuce :⇔ Letters...