Extremely limited-time offer



  • When renewing our domain via GoDaddy, I noticed they sell ".TV" domains, which sound great for our dreams of late-night infomercials selling our CRM app (presumably alongside the ShamWow). So I click on the link to register a domain with a .TV TLD, and see this:

     

    "Official domain for Tuvalu?" I wonder, moving my mouse over the ".tv" header, and nearly fell off my chair reading the helpful tooltip that appeared:

     



  •  So? In Holland .nu addresses are somewhat popular (due to "nu" being dutch for "now" so you can get the dutch equivalent of e.g. "get-something-for-free.now" or "dothis.now") and it is also the extention of some island in the pacific.

    Similarly .tv adresses are the tld of some pacific island and popular because it can get easy-to-remember domain names like "broadcast-station.tv" 

    The only funny thing is the first information point, but it's worth a chuckle, little more.



  • Sense of humor, is that you?



  • I guess that would be a good reason to choose .TV ... Once the island is gone, there will no longer be a rightful owner of this TLD, so it'll be up for grabs. Of course, I'm sure that Al Gore et al would say "The island's not sinking, the ocean's rising!"

    I'm not sure, however, why the fact that "Recommended alternatives are .COM, .NET, & .INFO." is a good reason to choose .TV.



  • This is the best thread in the Sidebar in a long time.  Congrats! 



  •  The Real WTF is that Tuvalu is not an island — it's a collection of several islands and atolls, none of which is individually named "Tuvalu".



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    This is the best thread in the Sidebar in a long time.  Congrats! 
     

    Truly, we are blessed to have you here in the forums.



  • @sootzoo said:

    "Official domain for Tuvalu?" I wonder, moving my mouse over the ".tv" header, and nearly fell off my chair reading the helpful tooltip that appeared:

    Well, it's not a WTF; it's giving you your consumer rights.  You do understand that the island of Tuvalu actually is sinking (or rather, that the ocean is rising, which has the same end result: Tuvalu sinks beneath the waves), and is very likely to have to be completely abandoned by its entire populace in the next couple of decades, yes? 

    If you're selling shares in a firm and you have a reason to believe they're about to fall through the floor, you have to say so.  Similarly, if you're selling a domain in a TLD that is about to fall through the ocean, and there is reasonable doubt over whether it will even exist in a little while.  It's interesting;.Tuvalu is currently engaged in trying to establish the legal precedent that you can be a nation for the purposes of earning representation at the united nations even when you no longer have any physical territory.  It touches on a lot of areas; for example, if the Tuvalan diaspora deserves to be a nation at the UN, why not the Palestinians?  Or Sealand?

    Anyway, this is really just a disclaimer, not a WTF.



  • @DaveK said:

    You do understand that the island of Tuvalu actually is sinking (or rather, that the ocean is rising, which has the same end result: Tuvalu sinks beneath the waves), and is very likely to have to be completely abandoned by its entire populace in the next couple of decades, yes? 
     

    Oh, my heart goes out to the heroic Tuvaluans who gave their lives for their TLD, but does anyone out there (ok, any USians) really read ".tv" the same way they read ".uk", ie, belonging to a sovereign entity, or do they read it more like ".xxx" or ".biz", ie, a ".com" alternative mostly for commercial purposes?

    I do appreciate GoDaddy's attorneys' due dilligence, but I'm willing to bet the average joe who visits a .tv website probably doesn't think they're browsing a foreign-registered website, they're there to buy some senseless crap.

    My company wound up purchasing the .TV domain anyway, so maybe TRWTF is sootzoo's boss. Sounds like we'd have a bummer of a time getting our money back on that one.



  • @DaveK said:

    It touches on a lot of areas; for example, if the Tuvalan diaspora deserves to be a nation at the UN, why not the Palestinians?  Or Sealand?

    Pfft, don't be silly.  We can't go around recognizing every whacko that claims to be his own nation!

     

    Sealand, however... 



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Pfft, don't be silly.  We can't go around recognizing every whacko that claims to be his own nation!

    A lesson we Brits should have learned back in Mad King George's day...



  • @SenTree said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Pfft, don't be silly.  We can't go around recognizing every whacko that claims to be his own nation!

    A lesson we Brits should have learned back in Mad King George's day...

    Oh, you guys tried to stop us, but we cleverly threw your tea into the ocean which left you weak and powerless, like Popeye without his spinach.



  • @sootzoo said:

    Oh, my heart goes out to the heroic Tuvaluans who gave their lives for their TLD, but does anyone out there (ok, any USians) really read ".tv" the same way they read ".uk", ie, belonging to a sovereign entity, or do they read it more like ".xxx" or ".biz", ie, a ".com" alternative mostly for commercial purposes?
    The fact that the .tv extension belongs to some islands even has been on the news here about 2 years ago. It was expected that all major tv networks would jump to the occassion but none that I know have registered a .tv

     



  • @bjolling said:

    It was expected that all major tv networks would jump to the occassion but none that I know have registered a .tv
     

    I agree, who knows those minor tv channels/producers like CNN and ABC that did register...



  • I like how if you visit cnn.tv the "cnn.com" logo/link in the top-left links to cnn.tv instead.

    To be fair, I was expecting to just be redirected to cnn.com.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @SenTree said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Pfft, don't be silly.  We can't go around recognizing every whacko that claims to be his own nation!

    A lesson we Brits should have learned back in Mad King George's day...

    Oh, you guys tried to stop us, but we cleverly threw your tea into the ocean which left you weak and powerless, like Popeye without his spinach.

    Curse those damn French, for revealing our most precious military secrets!


  • @AltSysrq said:

    I'm not sure, however, why the fact that "Recommended alternatives are .COM, .NET, & .INFO." is a good reason to choose .TV.

    Perhaps you have to read the question as "Why (the hell would anyone) choose .tv (you idiot)?"

     



  • http://asteriximages.asterix.co.nz/books/britain/img26.htm
    Why would anyone change Panoramix's name to Getafix?



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @SenTree said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Pfft, don't be silly.  We can't go around recognizing every whacko that claims to be his own nation!

    A lesson we Brits should have learned back in Mad King George's day...

    Oh, you guys tried to stop us, but we cleverly threw your tea into the ocean which left you weak and powerless, like Popeye without his spinach.

    Good thing we did it in Boston instead of somewhere hot.  Otherwise, we might've turned the entire ocean into tea and ushered in a golden age for the British Empire.


  • @Zecc said:

    http://asteriximages.asterix.co.nz/books/britain/img26.htm
    Why would anyone change Panoramix's name to Getafix?
    Because it's (f/p)unnier?

    They did a really good effort of translating jokes in the Asterix books.  See also the legendary "Je suis medusé" <--> "We've been framed, by Jericho" translation in Asterix the Legionary.




  • @Zecc said:

    http://asteriximages.asterix.co.nz/books/britain/img26.htm
    Why would anyone change Panoramix's name to Getafix?
    Better Getafix than Magigiamix. God I hate American publishers neutering the humor because it might offend parents' anti-drug "sensibilities".


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.