Terminating ethernet cables

• Hey anyone here have any experience terminating ethernet cables? I'm seriously about to go look for a kitten and strangle it to death out of frustration.

I mean seriously, who the f* decided it'd be a great idea to try and have me push 8 wires, perfectly straight, into this connector and hope they each end up in the right location? Driving me nuts!

• First, you're supposed to purchase/borrow a crimping tool. 

Second, it's not that hard

• @belgariontheking said:

Second, it's not that hard

It is if you lack opposable thumbs.

• This is the page I always use so I know what order they go in.

Good luck

• @belgariontheking said:

This is the page I always use so I know what order they go in.

Good luck

Oh I know what order they go in, it's the going in part that's being a pain. Seems that there always is one wire that wants to go where another one already is or goes to the wrong pin as I push them in. However, it does seem to be getting better the more I do this. I'll be happy though when i'm done with this, that's for sure.

• I have years of experience pulling and crimping Cat5 cables.  First ones take a while, but once you get the hang of it; it's not that bad.  Although you can create straight through without twisting the pairs and it should work, some network cards don't like it.  The same with only using 2 pairs and using a single run to get two connections, some cards don't like that either even though the other 2 pair shouldn't be used.

• @Kermos said:

it's the going in part that's being a pain.

@Kermos said:

However, it does seem to be getting better the more I do this. I'll be happy though when i'm done with this, that's for sure.

Yeah yeah, lets get back to discussing ethernet cables. 

• Here's a tip.

Cut off a little more of the outer sheath than you would normally.
    Untwist the pairs back to the cut, put the cables in the right order in the jaws of a pair of needle nosed pliers.
    Then cut all 8 wires straight across to the correct length with a sharp knife / side snips.

It's not that hard with practice.

• @tomf84 said:

Here's a tip.

Cut off a little more of the outer sheath than you would normally.
    Untwist the pairs back to the cut, put the cables in the right order in the jaws of a pair of needle nosed pliers.
    Then cut all 8 wires straight across to the correct length with a sharp knife / side snips.

It's not that hard with practice.

Thanks for the tip, something along those lines is what I ended up doing and it's helped a lot.

•  And remember... you can't call yourself a geek if you don't own your own UTP crimper.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Kermos said:

Hey anyone here have any experience terminating ethernet cables? I'm seriously about to go look for a kitten and strangle it to death out of frustration.
    I don't usually have any problems.

• @lpope187 said:

The same with only using 2 pairs and using a single run to get two connections, some cards don't like that either even though the other 2 pair shouldn't be used.

That would be gigabit cards/switches right? I did that for ages with fast ethernet and it worked fine. (Moved into ahouse that was previously an office and my bedroom had a single RJ45 port, along with DB25 serial ports)

• @Zemm said:

Moved into ahouse that was previously an office and my bedroom had a single RJ45 port, along with DB25 serial ports

While they could be serial ports (for terminals), are you sure they aren't 10BASE5 "thicknet" connectors?

• Crimping ethernet cables is fun, but making etherkillers is where it's at.

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]Crimping ethernet cables is fun, but making etherkillers is where it's at.[/quote]Those fuckers are evil

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

Crimping ethernet cables is fun, but making etherkillers is where it's at.

[/quote] 

I love it.

You made my day.

Where can I order a powered hub?

• I can remember just a few years back we had to recable my current place of employment, but since we were doing both patch panels and cables for here, the sysadmin at the time decided to only purchase solid core cat5e for the job. 29 hours later my hands we're in severe pain from crimping soo many cables with the wrong type of cable. Towards the end I was in soo much pain and soo tired that it could take me up to 30 mins to get a single cable done.

For the love of god, if you ever do this your yourselves, make sure someone buys stranded core cables. 

• At the time, they weren't Gigabit cards nor were they plugged into switches either.  The only thing that was switched was the backbone in the datacenter - everything else was plain old 10/100 hubs.  IIRC, they were old 3Com 905 series cards. Why they did that, I have no idea; but using one wire for two connections is bad practice anyways so I guess I deserved it.