Race != Ethnic Category != Ethnic Group Status

• Application

Am I missing something here? If the first time wasn't enough, I'd figure... just maybe... the second would be?

The application continues in this way in other places as well. sigh Isn't testing a site a part of deployment these days?

• To answer your question: No

• Heh, that looks like a registration site for a white supremacist group.

•  If I wasn't so laid-back and relaxed, I'd say this was insensitive and ignorant as to be offensive. :D

• @DOA said:

Heh, that looks like a registration site for a white supremacist group.

LOL, yeh

@recruiter said:
    Are you white?

@new initiate said:
    Yeah, sure.
    @recruiter said:
    But you're not a latino, are you?

@new initiate said:
    No, no way!
    @recruiter said:
    Are you really sure you're not a latino?

@new initiate said:
    Yes, dammit, I just told you
    @recruiter said:
    And you're definitely white, yeah?

@new initiate said:
    YES, jeeze, how many times do I have to tell you?

@recruiter said:
    Oh, just four, we have to make sure.  You're in, here's your pillow case

• That is seriously WTF.

If you scroll down the top menu, does it also include "Gipsy", "Communist" or "Gay"?

• @Arancaytar said:

That is seriously WTF.

If you scroll down the top menu, does it also include "Gipsy", "Communist" or "Gay"?

That's patently ridiculous!  Gay isn't a race, it's a mental disorder!

•  Wouldn't Ethnic Group Status be something along the lines of ["oppressed", "oppressor", "mostly ignored","stereotyped as being smart or having some sort of magical powers", "feared"]?

• Actually, this looks like a badly done attempt to collect demographics that follow US Government standard. This is how the Feds collect their data, with "Race" typically being Black/White/Asian/Native American or Alaskan Native/Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander and a follow-up question asking if you are of Hispanic/Latino/Spanish-speaking origin. The "Ethnic Group Status" is then (typically) a calculated variable: White (Non-Hispanic), White (Hispanic) and so on...

This distinction has been in place since the mid- to late-1980s. So... in this case, as in so many, TRWTF == the US Congress.

• @vt_mruhlin said:

Wouldn't Ethnic Group Status be something along the lines of ["oppressed", "oppressor", "mostly ignored","stereotyped as being smart or having some sort of magical powers", "feared"]?

He he, you made my day. Nice one!

Off topic: let's see how the quoted brackets survive... 

• "Why Rhett, how many times have I tole you to wash your hands after a weekly cross burnin'? See, it's comin' off."

• @vt_mruhlin said:

Wouldn't Ethnic Group Status be something along the lines of [ . . . ] "stereotyped as being smart or having some sort of magical powers" [ . . . ]

Ethnic Group Status includes "being an elf"?  That one must be for the online gamers.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.