US woman says Ubuntu can't access internet

• The Register writes:

An American woman has told a TV station in Madison, Wisconsin that something called Ubuntu prevented her from joining online classes at her local technical college.

According to WKOW TV, Abbie Schubert recently ordered a Dell laptop, expecting "your classic bread-and-butter computer." But when she unboxed the $1,100 machine that arrived, she didn't find bread and butter. She found Ubuntu.

WKOW TV called Ubuntu "an operating system for your computer similar to Windows that runs off the Linux system."

"It's been a mess," Schubert said. "I regret ordering the computer."

She had never heard of Ubuntu. So she called Dell. Dell said there was still time replace her Ubuntu. Then Dell told her not to. "The person I was talking to said Ubuntu was great, college students loved it, it was compatible with everything I needed," she explained.

So she kept Ubuntu, giving up her chance for bread and the butter. Then she decided that Ubuntu doesn't always work like Windows. Her Verizon internet wouldn't load. She couldn't install Microsoft Word. And she said without Word and the internet, she couldn't take online classes at Milwaukee Area Technical College.

So she dropped out of the college's fall and spring semesters.

Then Dell said it was too late for bread and butter.

"I'm extremely frustrated," Schubert said. "I wanted to get back to school, but I needed a computer to be able to do that."

Yes, that's fall and spring semesters. At Milwaukee Area Technical College. ®

• You made me kind of hungry. I'm going to get meself some bread. With a bit of garlic butter.

•  Fortunately for her, stupidity doesn't hurt. Otherwise, the pain would kill her.

•  I... I don't know where to begin... this is like a Jenga tower of WTFs.

• The problem here is Dell should have made it clearer that Linux was probably not for her - simple test: "Have you heard of Linux?" No? Then it's not for you.

The fact is that Linux is not suited to the vast majority of computer users out there. I've used quite a few of the distros out there over the last 14 years and none of them were to my taste for a personal OS, mainly because of hardware problems. On a professional level, I develop applications primarily for Windows so it's not a good fit here either.

Most people just want a computer to work and they want it to look like every other computer they've ever used. They also want to be able to stick in a CD from their ISP and have the CD run and configure their network settings for them. That is not an unreasonable request; I know very little about dentistry, fund management, PR, or journalism, why should those people have to know anything about system administration?

Some of the other directors in my company use Linux on their desktop machines because they are technically proficient and they dislike spending money on Microsoft licences. This all works great until I send them Word docs and OpenOffice messes up the formatting when they make an edit and resave. Linux has a long way to go to overcome these problems and get onto the desktop of anyone other than a few hobbyists and fan-boys.

• @Phill said:

Linux has a long way to go to overcome these problems and get onto the desktop of anyone other than a few hobbyists and fan-boys.
    Let the Windows/Linux argument commence.

• @wf_tmro said:

So she dropped out of the college's fall and spring semesters.

Did anyone else read this as "So she dropped out of the college's fail and spring semesters"?

• @DOA said:

@Phill said:

Linux has a long way to go to overcome these problems and get onto the desktop of anyone other than a few hobbyists and fan-boys.

Let's not. At least not now, in the year of the Linux desktop!

• @DOA said:

@Phill said:

I really wasn't baiting there. This argument has been done too many times.

I simply meant that this lady's getting a hard time for this and being treated like a moron (in the original article's comments) because she wasn't able to use Linux. I don't think the problem lies completely with her.

• @Phill said:

I simply meant that this lady's getting a hard time for this and being treated like a moron (in the original article's comments) because she wasn't able to use Linux. I don't think the problem lies completely with her.
    I, like you, don't consider her to be the moron.  The Dell rep is the moron.

• @belgariontheking said:

I, like you, don't consider her to be the moron.  The Dell rep is the moron.

QFT.

•  The Dell rep certainly didn't help matters, no, but he isn't the only moron.  I've ordered from Dell before, and I find it very, very hard to believe that she managed to get through the entire ordering process without noticing a lack of Microsoft logos.  I mean come on, just to get to the Ubunutu systems on Dell's site takes quite a bit of doing, in my experience.  You ask me, the lady went for the cheapest computer she could find with the most under the hood, and thats definitely going to be the linux systems.  Computers get a lot cheaper when you don't have to pay an additional $200+ for the operating system.

Also, linux is hardly confusable with windows in any facet at ALL.  I mean good Lord, how could she not know she wouldn't be able to use Word and her Verizon service the first day she had the computer?  What on Earth was she doing with the thing?

And one more thing, being someone going to college, I also find it very hard to believe that she had to drop TWO SEMESTERS of school because her computer didn't run Windows.  For crying out loud, if you're desperate enough to drop $1100 on a computer, you should be desperate enough to go to the damn computer lab or library and use one of their dinosaurs until you can get it sorted out.  And come on, getting something like this taken care of would take a couple months at the absolute most, not a whole school year.

Sorry, but I think this lady is priming herself for a stupid lawsuit.

• @wf_tmro said:

your classic bread-and-butter computer

what is a "bread-and-butter computer" ?

• @Phill said:

The problem here is Dell should have made it clearer that Linux was probably not for her - simple test: "Have you heard of Linux?" No? Then it's not for you.

While I agree that the rep she called shouldn't have told her that "UBUNTU IS TEH BEST!!!", it is hardly possible to accidentally buy a Dell Ubuntu machine. AFAIK, you will have to find this page somehow, (by specifically choosing "Open Source PC" from the "Desktops" menu). And then it is still telling you to gtfo if you're unsure whether "Open Source is for You".

Thus, I think, that woman is still a moron, even if a victim to foul play by the ubuntu-fanboyish rep.

• @Master Chief said:

Computers get a lot cheaper when you don't have to pay an additional $200+ for the operating system.

At Dell they get $61 cheaper.  

• @derula said:

@Phill said:
    The problem here is Dell should have made it clearer that Linux was probably not for her - simple test: "Have you heard of Linux?" No? Then it's not for you.

While I agree that the rep she called shouldn't have told her that "UBUNTU IS TEH BEST!!!", it is hardly possible to accidentally buy a Dell Ubuntu machine. AFAIK, you will have to find this page somehow, (by specifically choosing "Open Source PC" from the "Desktops" menu). And then it is still telling you to gtfo if you're unsure whether "Open Source is for You".

not true.  If you go to dell.com and click on home ->"Desktops and all-in-ones," you will see options along the left hand side.  Among them is an "Operating System" list which includes Vista, XP, Free DOS, and Ubuntu.    

Also, lets not jump to conclusions.  She could have very well ordered over the phone and not mentioned anything about operating system (since she probably doesn't even know what one is) and some stupid sales rep put it in as Ubuntu.

• @tster said:

not true.  If you go to dell.com and click on home ->"Desktops and all-in-ones," you will see options along the left hand side.  Among them is an "Operating System" list which includes Vista, XP, Free DOS, and Ubuntu.

Yes... you're right. Still unlikely to click "Ubuntu" and then wonder about wtf Ubuntu is when you receive the PC (you would have wondered earlier. Or I, that is.)

@tster said:

She could have very well ordered over the phone and not mentioned anything about operating system (since she probably doesn't even know what one is) and some stupid sales rep put it in as Ubuntu.

You're right, could be. However in that case, it would be a major Dell WTF. But, of course, thinkable, e.g. if she ordered from the same guy who recommended her to keep Ubuntu later on (or an equally-stupid one).

• The WTF is that on-line classes at Milwaukee Area Technical College require MS Word.

• @tster said:

Among them is an "Operating System" list which includes Vista, XP, Free DOS

Wait, what? Why would you want to buy a computer with FreeDOS preinstalled?

• @Spectre said:

@tster said:
    Among them is an "Operating System" list which includes Vista, XP, Free DOS

Wait, what? Why would you want to buy a computer with FreeDOS preinstalled?

I suppose that"FreeDOS" is the closest option they have for: "Don't install an OS - I'll do it myself"

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.