Long live the process!

• I have a PC I've been waiting to finish setting up for a customer. He was hired at the beginning of January but hasn't been able to do any work as he hasn't had a PC. Finally got the PC, setup, the network lines run, and all we're waiting on now is a meeting.

I couldn't finish as the line in the wiring closest wasn't plugged into a switch. Got one of the networking guys to come up and let me into the closet, and there is a brand new switch quielty humming away. There are fiber lines hanging from the wall, but until someone nods his head and signs a form at a change meeting this afternoon it's all on hold.

Gotta love the process.

•  At least you have a process. I'm working at a university and you get internet access via a proper IP iff and only if you are a member of staff. Now we want to deploy some stuff to a certain device wich needs internet acces if you want to deploy onto it. It also has to be on the same subnet as the deploying pc. I and a couple of others have to use Cisco VPN (a wtf in itself). So we are on another subnet as the device.

The solution: We take the precious device home in turns.

• The process itself doesn't sound so ridiculous to me - a couple of forms, a short and probably unnecessary meeting - the problem is that it's being followed two weeks after he started.

• Our process is git-r-dun. Works very well.

• @dtfinch said:

Our process is git-r-dun. Works very well.

That's because you work as a plumber and a "queer-beater". 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dtfinch said:

Our process is git-r-dun. Works very well.

That's because you work as a plumber and a "queer-beater". 

The git-r-dun approach is a management process that predates the "process". 

•  That's a bastardization of DWIT, right? Do Whatever It Takes is a core principle of Front-Ahead Design, you know.

• @hallo.amt said:

IP iff and only if you are a member of staff

Just wondering, is that a typo or intentional? I remember once in some class (English or Maths or Computer Studies) that "iff" means "if and only if".

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Zemm said:

@hallo.amt said:

IP iff and only if you are a member of staff

Just wondering, is that a typo or intentional? I remember once in some class (English or Maths or Computer Studies) that "iff" means "if and only if".

Looks more like a pleonasm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_and_only_if#Definition

• @Zemm said:

I remember once in some class (English or Maths or Computer Studies) that "iff" means "if and only if".
    (English or Maths or Computer Studies or Phys Ed or Home Ec or Spanish or Lunch or History of Western Europe After 1492 or Study Hall or...)

• @bstorer said:

@Zemm said:
    I remember once in some class (English or Maths or Computer Studies) that "iff" means "if and only if".
    (English or Maths or Computer Studies or Phys Ed or Home Ec or Spanish or Lunch or History of Western Europe After 1492 or Study Hall or...)

I've seen it in the book "Introduction to Lie Algebras and Representation Theory" by James E. Humphreys I have to read for my undergraduate seminar in Maths.

Precise enough?

• Our process is that we take 15 to 20 cats, a hessian sack, and a black marker pen. We write down things that we could/should get done on each of the cats, then tie them in the sack.

Whichever cat emerges alive gets the items written on it done, and makes it through to the next round of agile development.

• @vonNeumann said:

Our process is that we take 15 to 20 cats, a hessian sack, and a black marker pen. We write down things that we could/should get done on each of the cats, then tie them in the sack.

Whichever cat emerges alive gets the items written on it done, and makes it through to the next round of agile development.

We did something similar until we decided that a panther with "Nothing" written on it is technically a cat.

• @bstorer said:

@vonNeumann said:

Our process is that we take 15 to 20 cats, a hessian sack, and a black marker pen. We write down things that we could/should get done on each of the cats, then tie them in the sack.

We did something similar until we decided that a panther with "Nothing" written on it is technically a cat.

I love you both and want to have your babies.

• @vonNeumann said:

What if you get Schroedinger's cat?