Confessions...

• Apparently there's a dinner-party game played by literary types where people have to confess which books they've never read - the more well-known and highly-regarded the book you haven't read, the better. 

Until yesterday I'd never read "Writing Solid Code" or "Programming Pearls" (still haven't, but I've started on one and queued the other).  Has anybody got any other confessions or conversely any recommendations for future reading?

• I've never read any programming books, except the first few chapters of  Programming Languages by Ravi Sethi, which is pretty good if you can stand the fact that Mr Sethi does not like to explain. Anything. At all.

• :belt_onion:

Still haven't read "Code Complete"

Is it as good as it's cracked up to be?

•  With the exception of a couple of programmimg books in university I haven't read anything. For better or for worse I am a product of the Age of Google.

• @DOA said:

For better or for worse I am a product of the Age of Google.

Or the age if Wikipedia. I have learned many a detail from its articles, ranging from big O notation to the history of IDE/ATA& SATA.

•  I have the Effective Java from Joshua Block that I have read the first chapter of.  I keep meaning to finish the book but I just don't feel like it lately when I get home.  Maybe its the 3 kids running around screaming, maybe I just want to relax and not think about computers.  /*shrug*/

•  Actually, I haven't read the Bible.

*ducks*

• @PSWorx said:

Actually, I haven't read the Bible.

Allow me to summarize...

blah blah blah... creation ... blah blah blah ... Noah's arc ... blah blah blah ... Jesus ... blah blah blah ... you will die alone

• I recommend:  The Pragmatic Programmer

I confess: ANSI Common Lisp

•  @morbiuswilters said:

Allow me to summarize...

blah blah blah... creation ... blah blah blah ... Noah's arc ... blah blah blah ... Jesus ... blah blah blah ... you will die alone

Thanks much. I feel enlighted now. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@PSWorx said:

Allow me to summarize...

Awww, you left out all the smiting!  That's the best part!

• @morbiuswilters said:

@PSWorx said:

Allow me to summarize...

Gotta love that geometer Noah...

(sorry, it's the end of the day and I couldn't resist.)

• @bstorer said:

Awww, you left out all the smiting!  That's the best part!

I prefer the begetting.

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't do a CS degree and haven't heard of many of the books mentioned.  To whoever asked about Code Complete, for years it was the only programming book I had read - I think it's great and would highly recommend it.

•  This game doesn't really work that well with books for computer science.   However, if we were to go with languages:

I have never used PHP or Python.

• @tster said:

This game doesn't really work that well with books for computer science.   However, if we were to go with languages:

I have never used Win32 C++, Smalltalk or Prolog (although I have read the source code to a simple IRC bot written in Prolog and it doesn't look all that complicated).

• @morbiuswilters said:

(although I have read the source code to a simple near-perfect IRC bot written in Prolog and it doesn't look all that complicated like anything I could ever comprehend).
    FTFY

• @morbiuswilters said:

@tster said:

This game doesn't really work that well with books for computer science.   However, if we were to go with languages:

I have never used Win32 C++, Smalltalk or Prolog (although I have read the source code to a simple IRC bot written in Prolog and it doesn't look all that complicated).

I don't know Java and Python, but I've written IRC bots in both. I've also written C# and PHP, despite not knowing either.

• I don't care. I wrote an IRC bot in bash.