Singing in the rain...

• @m0ffx said:

Well, are 'doubles' common in the US? They're pretty common here.

Yeah, they're pretty common.  The only exception is Utah where state law prevents a bar patron from being served more than one shot (defined by Utah state law as 1.5 fl oz or 44.3mL) at a time. 

• @m0ffx said:

@seriousJoker said:

Untrue. Here in Austria we don't have these girl size 0.33L beer bottles, but 0.5L ones instead

Beer bottles should be an Imperial PINT! (568 ml). That said in the UK a lot of bottled british ales and ciders come in 500ml bottles, and cans are usually 500ml I think. Foreign beers tend to be the smaller 330ml bottles.

Depends on beer. You won't get as wasted with 3 German 0.5l glasses as with 3 Belgian 0.33l glasses. The latter is usually much stronger, and smaller doses are highly reasonable.

On the other hand, a pint of Kilkenny feels like the right size for a Kilkenny.

• @Kiss me I'm Polish said:

Depends on beer. You won't get as wasted with 3 German 0.5l glasses as with 3 Belgian 0.33l glasses. The latter is usually much stronger, and smaller doses are highly reasonable.

Belgian Beer FTW!!!!

And, to your point, I present EKU 28.  The stuff tastes like whiskey to me, but apparently people drink it.  Oh well, there's no accounting for taste.

• @belgariontheking said:

Belgian Beer FTW!!!!

And, to your point, I present EKU 28.  The stuff tastes like whiskey to me, but apparently people drink it.  Oh well, there's no accounting for taste.

Yeah, well, people also drink O'Doul's. Some even knowingly. I'm shocked and horrified at that, and when I get bored I spike their "nonalcoholic" "beverage" with some Everclear 190@ and watch the fun.

•  Here's a screenshot I took a few minutes ago. Since I have iGoogle as my homepage, when I opened the browser again to post it, the temperature changed from -5 to -7 and again, it shows rain below 0 degrees celsius and there's NO sign of rain nor snow nor hail outside...

Picture of a weather gadget in iGoogle showing rain at -5 Celsius (water freezes at 0, btw)

• @TwelveBaud said:

Yeah, well, people also drink O'Doul's. Some even knowingly. I'm shocked and horrified at that, and when I get bored I spike their "nonalcoholic" "beverage" with some Everclear 190@ and watch the fun.

I always wondered who bought O'Douls until a friend pointed out it was for recovering alcoholics who wanted the taste of beer but not the alcohol.  That makes your Everclear prank all the funnier. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@TwelveBaud said:

I always wondered who bought O'Douls until a friend pointed out it was for recovering alcoholics who wanted the taste of beer but not the alcohol.  That makes your Everclear prank all the funnier. 

You know what's even funnier? Get a keg of O'Douls, but don't tell anybody what it is. Then watch them get drunk.

• @tOmcOlins said:

You know what's even funnier? Get a keg of O'Douls, but don't tell anybody what it is. Then watch them get drunk.

I did that to a friend once: gave him a shot of Claytons (told him it was whisky) and he proceeded to get giddy and loud... (I had to wiki Claytons as I didn't know it wasn't available outside Australia/NZ!)

• @belgariontheking said:

@Kiss me I'm Polish said:

Belgian Beer FTW!!!!

QFT!!!  I spent 3 years in Belgium when I was in the military.  Three years of tasting beers... hmmmmm.  I must say Chimay rouge and blue are my favs though.  A beer that, while you are sipping on at a party/bar, will actually taste BETTER as it sits out, as oposed to tasting like shit (Bud, Coors... ect...), is too awsome for words.

•  Fun stuff.

What do you think of Gulden Draak, Sloeber and Hertog Jan Grand Prestige?

•  Gulden Draak was too much like drinking beer while eating a cherry filled chocolate bar for my taste.  Not a bad beer, but a little fruity. I don't recognize the second one at all. 

I always had Leffe Brune, Chimay, Kwak ( i just loved the glass!!) and Stella Artois (for light drinking) in my fridge.  I would go out and sample the more than 500+ beers when I was out, but those were my favs.

• Sloeber is like a Draak Light, so it'd probably not amuse you either. Funny how people synaesthise flavours. I'd never have described it as cherry or god forbid, chocolate. (I have tasted a few actual chocolate beers and those were quite different.) It's fruity & colourful, though. Very rich and that's why I like it.

Leffe Brune (~ Double) is a drink I take when there's no Guinness around -- it's widely available and has a smoother flavour than Murphy's Irish Red which, though it got me into beer, is one I never drink anymore.

Never drink such beers from the bottle, though -- it's the death of beer and makes it all taste like filthy pilsner. So far, the only pilsner I like is Hertog Jan, and that's just in an emergency. I'm not sure how much of Hertog Jan is exported and/or whether it's translated to Duke John or summat, but Grand Prestige is their heavy 10% beer, and resembles Gulden Draak a lot.

I like 'em heavier and darker (Guinness, G. Special Export, London Porter, Murphy's Stout -- things that make me swoon). Have you tried Palm? It might be up your alley.

*pours a Guinness as we speak*

• :belt_onion:

@amischiefr said:

Gulden Draak was too much like drinking beer while eating a cherry filled chocolate bar for my taste.  Not a bad beer, but a little fruity. I don't recognize the second one at all. 

I always had Leffe Brune, Chimay, Kwak ( i just loved the glass!!) and Stella Artois (for light drinking) in my fridge.  I would go out and sample the more than 500+ beers when I was out, but those were my favs.

Beer is for Belgians what wine is for the French.

I like more or less the same beers as you, except I have Jupiler for light drinking even when I lived in Leuven. (Leuven is the home town of Stella Artois). Now that I moved up north a bit I enjoy my occasional Gouden Carolus.

• @amischiefr said:

I must say Chimay rouge and blue are my favs though.
    I think my favorites are LaChouffe and Weyerbacher Merry Monks.  I got to try them at this Spring Beer Fest at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati and later purchased them.  Jungle Jims is awesome.  If it's edible/drinkable, and it's made somewhere in the world, chances are they import it to Jungle Jims.  No Yuengling though :(

• @dhromed said:

Sloeber is like a Draak Light, so it'd probably not amuse you either. Funny how people synaesthise flavours. I'd never have described it as cherry or god forbid, chocolate. (I have tasted a few actual chocolate beers and those were quite different.) It's fruity & colourful, though. Very rich and that's why I like it.

I just meant that it was rich and fruity and tasted more like something Starbucks would make, to me.  I like beers that taste like beers, not fruit.  Just my opinion.

@dhromed said:

Leffe Brune (~ Double) is a drink I take when there's no Guinness around -- it's widely available and has a smoother flavour than Murphy's Irish Red which, though it got me into beer, is one I never drink anymore.

And this is where you lost me.  I had respect for you until you mentioned Guinness... :p  I consider myself a beer lover, but I could never get a taste for Guinness.  It tastes too much like raw sewage poured right out of somebody's ass.  Not that I have some experience to compare it with, but that is what I immagine it would taste like. 

@dhromed said:

I like 'em heavier and darker (Guinness, G. Special Export, London Porter, Murphy's Stout -- things that make me swoon). Have you tried Palm? It might be up your alley.

Never had a Palm before.  I like my beer dark, but not too overbearing.  Something that has great, rich flavour  without making your face pucker up like you just placed 20 pieces of sour candy into your mouth.  If Palm is a dark beer with a smooth aftertaste then I will have to try it :)

• @bjolling said:

Beer is for Belgians what wine is for the French.

Absolutely!

@bjolling said:

I like more or less the same beers as you, except I have Jupiler for light drinking even when I lived in Leuven. (Leuven is the home town of Stella Artois). Now that I moved up north a bit I enjoy my occasional Gouden Carolus.

Ahh yes, good olde Jup! :)  We drank A LOT of cheap Jup when we were out.  That, or Stella, was what we drank before we would go out for the night.  Then, when we were out somewhere, we would drink the good stuff.  I have close to 100 beer glasses from my time drinking/collecting over there and I must have at least 8-9 Jup glasses.  

Have either of you ever been to Mons?  They had two great places we would go to.  Stop 1:  a dungeon like atmosphere (had to take stairs down to a basement to get to it) that served this lemon liquor by the bottle.  I think it was called Chen Chen or something like that.  Stop 2:  The fishbowl.  They served beer in a glass that had to hold 2-4 gallons of beer in it.  

• @amischiefr said:

*continued conversation about beer*
    Why is it that when the topic turns to various beers, it's allowed to go on unchecked, but when I discuss in startling detail my numerous venereal dis-----

[ post moderated immediately - dh ]

• @amischiefr said:

And this is where you lost me.  I had respect for you until you mentioned Guinness... :p  I consider myself a beer lover, but I could never get a taste for Guinness.  It tastes too much like raw sewage poured right out of somebody's ass.  Not that I have some experience to compare it with, but that is what I immagine it would taste like. 

Holy crap. That's where you lose me. Guinness has a nice smooth texture with a mild coffee flavour. I'm not sure where the comparison to rotten water comes from.

You know what tastes like rotten water? Rochefort 8. God that stuff is vile.

Palm is a coppery beer, a bit stronger than ordinary pilsner. I don't care much for it, but you might.

• @bstorer said:

but when I discuss in startling detail my numerous venereal dis-----

Did you ever find out what was up with that cheesy discharge from your anus and penis? 

• @morbiuswilters said:

Did you ever find out what was up with that cheesy discharge from your anus and penis?

It was used in Rochefort 8.

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

It was used in Rochefort 8.

You are my new favorite mod.  Expect to receive a package containing my disjointed poetry and bizarre, horrifying drawings commemorating you in the coming weeks.