Who needs HTML anyway?






  • Looks fine. But watch what happens when you try to highlight text in the calendar, or even the "boxing day store hours" header.



  • This is more wooden-table-friendly.



  • They can't even standardise on a single image format, the "boxing day store hours" section is a JPEG done in Adobe by Ducky (?!), and the rest of the page is all GIFs (including each seperate header at the bottom).

    Obviously have more graphics artists than web page designers. Who needs the later when each page can be a different graphic, anyway?  If you need to save bandwidth, just turn up the compression of the graphic files...



  • TRWTF is that there is a web graphics standardization push.

    You do realize that JPEGs and GIFs can (and should) be used interchangeably, don't you? They differ in their compression ability. As a rough guide, JPEG is better for fine detail while GIF for solids and repetition. If you pop those FS images into a decent image editor and try to save as a JPEG and GIF, you'll see that they chose the format that yielded the smallest file size.



  • Here's my guess:

    As per our corporate brand unification guidelines, all print and web material must be laid out identically, for all browsers and printers, using our corporate colors, fonts, and sizing guidelines. At the forefront of the online portion of this effort is the "Ducky" initiative, which mandates that all graphics, after preparation for print using Illustrator, shall be run through Photoshop's "Save for Web" on the machine with the rubber duck on it, to avoid duplication of effort and enable quality control and auditing. We understand that this may not appear to be the most logical of procedures, but it was recommended to us by the consultants from Dewey, Cheatham & Howe plc, widely acclaimed to be experts in the field, who incidentally are also the company we lease our Adobe licenses from.



  • @tariq said:

    You do realize that JPEGs and GIFs can (and should) be used interchangeably, don't you?

    No, they shouldn't. First, nobody should be using GIF anymore (except for animations where absolutely necessary), since PNG is supported by all major browsers and offers much better compression. Second, PNG and JPEG are uniquely suited to particular types of images. Using them interchangeably is the height of web graphical cluelessness.



  • @Zylon said:

    @tariq said:

    You do realize that JPEGs and GIFs can (and should) be used interchangeably, don't you?

    No, they shouldn't. First, nobody should be using GIF anymore (except for animations where absolutely necessary), since PNG is supported by all major browsers and offers much better compression. Second, PNG and JPEG are uniquely suited to particular types of images. Using them interchangeably is the height of web graphical cluelessness.

    1. We weren't discussing PNGs, but you're right.
    2. Read Mole's post and my reply again. You quoted me out of context.


  • @Zylon said:

    PNG offers much better compression [than GIF].
     

    Incorrect.

    GIF is better at large areas than PNG.
    PNG is better at noise-ish stuff.

    It depends. Try all the options.



  •  and in this particular instance, there would be something much better than GIF, PNG and JPEG -> HTML :)

    Although I must admit, for lazy web designers, saving as an image does indeed ensure what you have done looks identical across all web browsers. 

    One website I used to visit that works no longer went to another extreme. They showed you a table of products, which was filtered etc by the user, but each time you clicked the "Update" button, it rendered a GIF file server side (Or rather, I hope it did, rather than having every single combination) and showed you that. 



  •  TRWTF is using french



  • @Helix said:

     TRWTF is using french

     

    It's a canadian site....



  • @menta said:

    @Helix said:

     TRWTF is using french

     

    It's a canadian site....

     

    Swampie!!! You're back?



  • @menta said:

    @Helix said:

     TRWTF is using french

     

    It's a canadian site....

     

    You can't read french. What now?



  • A lot of canadians speak french. It's a commonly spoken language there. People should take these things into account when writing their product or noone will buy it. If a canadian french speaker wants to read in french we should let them. We have to be peaveful and allow people to live their own way. I know you people like to make fun of people but it is the way now.



  •  ha, this reminds me of this i found and bookmarked just for these kinds of things:

     


    http://www.xkcd.com/84/



  • @Helix said:

     ha, this reminds me of this i found and bookmarked just for these kinds of things:

     


    http://www.xkcd.com/84/

    I hate you so much.



  • @bstorer said:

    @Helix said:

     ha, this reminds me of this i found and bookmarked just for these kinds of things:

     


    http://www.xkcd.com/84/

    I hate you so much.

     Racist



  •  ha, this reminds me of this i found and bookmarked just for these kinds of things:

     

    http://www.decorumcomics.com/comic.php?id=40



  • @Helix said:

     ha, this reminds me of this i found and bookmarked just for these kinds of things:

     

    http://www.decorumcomics.com/comic.php?id=40

     That's really mean of you. This channel is full of mean people. There is too much hate in the world!



  • @menta said:

    This channel is full of mean people.
    Interesting.  I thought this was a forum.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @menta said:
    This channel is full of mean people.
    Interesting.  I thought this was a forum.
    Must be an AOL user. Probably has a screen name as well. 



  • @Helix said:

    You can't read french. What now?

    Look, there's a long and contentious history behind bilingualism in Canada, okay?  For example, most goods sold in Canada are required by federal law to be labelled in both English and French.  Not everyone necessarily agrees with "official bilingualism", but it is what it is.

    What I don't understand is why people always have to mock what's different.  And your comment doesn't make sense, even as a joke, given that the calendar is in both English and French.  So if I can't read French, I'll read the English words on the calendar.  What's the problem?




  • @CodeSimian said:

    @Helix said:
    You can't read french. What now?
    Look, there's a long and contentious history behind bilingualism in Canada, okay? [...]

    I think he was trying to imitate that Tales From the Interview story where the interviewer kept coming up with roadblocks.

    "Your car breaks down and your hot air balloon is nowhere to be found.  You sense that there are ninjas nearby.  What next?"

    "The ninjas kill all the pirates but you are able to escape.  However, you are now stuck in a swamp with just a lighter, some Q-tips, and a snorkel.  What next?"



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @menta said:

    This channel is full of mean people.
    Interesting.  I thought this was a forum.

     

     

    Channelle forum same thing. They are all MS apps for communicating between people.

     

     



  • @CodeSimian said:

    @Helix said:

    You can't read french. What now?

    Look, there's a long and contentious history behind bilingualism in Canada, okay?  For example, most goods sold in Canada are required by federal law to be labelled in both English and French.  Not everyone necessarily agrees with "official bilingualism", but it is what it is.

    What I don't understand is why people always have to mock what's different.  And your comment doesn't make sense, even as a joke, given that the calendar is in both English and French.  So if I can't read French, I'll read the English words on the calendar.  What's the problem?


     

     

    You can't read English, bilingualism has started a civil war in Canada and all comments on the internets do not make sense.What now?



  • @Helix said:

    You can't read English, bilingualism has started a civil war in Canada and all comments on the internets do not make sense.What now?

    I'm going to presume by Civil War you essentially mean French Canada (Quebec) vs English Canada (Everyone else).

    I would mention to Alberta that Quebec is separating, thus starting yet another civil war. West Canada (The Oil/fields provinces) vs East English Canada (I think they make fish and some television shows) vs Quebec (they import resources from English Canada, I don't think they export anything). Then the Territories will notice there's a fight going on and I'd have no idea what they'd do...



  • @Lingerance said:

    @Helix said:
    You can't read English, bilingualism has started a civil war in Canada and all comments on the internets do not make sense.What now?

    I'm going to presume by Civil War you essentially mean French Canada (Quebec) vs English Canada (Everyone else).

    I would mention to Alberta that Quebec is separating, thus starting yet another civil war. West Canada (The Oil/fields provinces) vs East English Canada (I think they make fish and some television shows) vs Quebec (they import resources from English Canada, I don't think they export anything). Then the Territories will notice there's a fight going on and I'd have no idea what they'd do...
     

     

    Obama decides he is pretty bored with the Canadians and their language arguments, he just needs the oil. So, he decides to bomb the whole country flat and gives one oil company sole permission and a bit of cash to rebuild on top of the black and smouldering landscape.  The rest of the world is not to bothered by this as they are all watching sitcoms. What NOW?

    P.s My colleague has just told me that you have two posts until the end of the interview.
     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.