Need a non-WTF Web host



  • Looking for ideas for good web hosts for non-computer-friendly users.  Our local volunteer fire district wants to get on-line, but would need more tech support (ie hand holding) then I'm willing to provide.  They've been down the local computer geek route before, but she lost interest and the site has been DOA for over a year.  (no wasn't me, but is same reason why I'm not stepping up.) 

    I don't normally look for sites with extra-strong customer support, so I don't if something along the lines of Yahoo hosting would be good or not.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks   

    B.D.



  • @Bummer_Dude said:

    she lost interest and the site has been DOA for over a year.
    Sorry I can't help you, but I have to ask:  She's been Dead On Arrival for over a year?  How long does it take to fill out the paperwork at your hospital?

    I think you mean MIA - Missing in Action.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @Bummer_Dude said:

    she lost interest and the site has been DOA for over a year.
    Sorry I can't help you, but I have to ask:  She's been Dead On Arrival for over a year?  How long does it take to fill out the paperwork at your hospital?

    I think you mean MIA - Missing in Action.

    Beautiful! 



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @belgariontheking said:

    @Bummer_Dude said:

    she lost interest and the site has been DOA for over a year.
    Sorry I can't help you, but I have to ask:  She's been Dead On Arrival for over a year?  How long does it take to fill out the paperwork at your hospital?

    I think you mean MIA - Missing in Action.

    Beautiful! 


    Look at that. Two trolls and not a single answer between them. Just lame attempts to derail the thread.



    OP: Maybe you want to try a list like this: http://webhostinggeeks.com/ ?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    I'm not certain there's a webhost in the entire universe that understands what the words "Customer service" even mean.



  • Care to read what was written?  The SITE was DOA, It was lame when it went up, and died shortly thereafter.  But she IS MIA (and no great loss from what I hear). 

    It's not the paperwork that kills ya, it's the trip there.  Closest is 30 miles away, so you have to plan ahead before you have a heart attack ...



  • @Bummer_Dude said:

    Care to read what was written?

    They are just trolls trying to derail your thread instead of helping you. Carry on with the thread as if they are not there.



  • Appreciate that, there's almost as many sites for rating hosts as there are hosts.  With that many, you know a good portion are ran by the hosting companies themselves.



  •  Transfer the domain over to google, their service is excellent and free. You get google mail, calenda, document sharing and the sites/pages homepage feature. Check it out to make sure it's powerful enough to meet your users needs. The web page editor is pretty decent, and there's also wiki-like sites that can be customized with navigation toolsbars and the like.

     You don't have a lot of flexibility as far as setting up your own web apps goes, but chances are there isn't going to be anyone to dick around with a CMS and patch the monthly security bugs anyway. Can't beat the price and the features are great as well.

     

    http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/editions.html



  • @Bummer_Dude said:

    The SITE was DOA
    I see.  Sorry then.



  • @Nandurius said:

     Check it out to make sure it's powerful enough to meet your users needs. 

    Actually, I have to go the other way, need something simple enough to meet the needs.  :-)

    @Nandurius said:

      ... but chances are there isn't going to be anyone to dick around with a CMS and patch the monthly security bugs anyway.

    And that's the main thing I want to avoid having to do.

    @Nandurius said:

    http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/editions.html

    Thanks, I'll check them out too.



  • I would highly recommend Dreamhost - excellent package, excellent team behind it. Discount code: FIDOGES - about $50 off, and you're supporting Talk Like a Pirate Day. If not, there are plenty on the internet. Linky



  • @charlie said:

    I would highly recommend Dreamhost - excellent package, excellent team behind it. Discount code: FIDOGES - about $50 off, and you're supporting Talk Like a Pirate Day. If not, there are plenty on the internet. Linky

    I dunno, Dreamhost is alright for technically-inclined users, but it's sort of the discount warehouse of hosts and doesn't seem a good option for "extra-strong customer service" and n00b ease-of-use. 



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @charlie said:

    I would highly recommend Dreamhost - excellent package, excellent team behind it. Discount code: FIDOGES - about $50 off, and you're supporting Talk Like a Pirate Day. If not, there are plenty on the internet. Linky

    I dunno, Dreamhost is alright for technically-inclined users, but it's sort of the discount warehouse of hosts and doesn't seem a good option for "extra-strong customer service" and n00b ease-of-use. 

    I disagree.  They've got loads of one-click installs now: stuff like WordPress and Drupal.  A bigger complaint is that their shared hosting has gotten much slower of late.



  • @bstorer said:

    I disagree.  They've got loads of one-click installs now: stuff like WordPress and Drupal.  A bigger complaint is that their shared hosting has gotten much slower of late.

    Well that's just great.  I left them awhile ago, but I used to take advantage of their massive, cheap disk space to store my... important business docu-ments.  They were pretty slow, but $10/month for 700 GB of storage and 7 TB of bandwidth was pretty sweet.  Of course, they had that massive billing fuck-up, but luckily they had a card number for me that had been cancelled so I didn't lose any money.



  • Using http://www.servage.net/.
    510GB of storage (+25GB extra per referral), 5010GB of bandwidth. Price is 6.35eur/month. Got lots of auto installers, unlimited domains/subdomains, one free domain.



  • servage  didn't manage to keep their bandwidth promises for
    Project Euler about a year ago. Although the traffic was far below the
    promised IIRC 3TB/month, their servers couldn't handle it. Also they
    were completely unhelpful resolving the problems. For a high-traffic
    site, I can't recommend them.



  • @Ilya Ehrenburg said:

    servage  didn't manage to keep their bandwidth promises for
    Project Euler about a year ago. Although the traffic was far below the
    promised IIRC 3TB/month, their servers couldn't handle it. Also they
    were completely unhelpful resolving the problems. For a high-traffic
    site, I can't recommend them.
     

     

    Are we really expecting a volunteer fire department website to classify as a high-traffic risk?



  • @TheTXI said:

    Are we really expecting a volunteer fire department website to classify as a high-traffic risk?

     

    Depends
    on how many pyromaniacs live in the area. And yes, for them, servage
    should probably be fine, and they're quite cheap, but they're not good
    for everyone. 



  • I think this is probably a question best asked at Web Hosting Talk (who, incidentally, are not hosts themselves - but they definitely are one of the more reliable places to ask around).



  •  I've always used http://www.findmyhosting.com/ to compare/check out varrious hosts. I've had really good luck with it and there's a large community reviewing the hosts. Good luck!



  •  AwardSpace: http://awardspace.com/



  • I'm with iWeb Technologies (www.iweb.com, not Apple's software for making websites). They're cheap and good at support. All my inquiries have been addressed within a 6 hours delay. Provided the guys know how to make the website to begin with (as in, they know HTML or how to to use some software that generates HTML), they should be able to get along with them.



  • http://obtrix.net - i've been with them for months and i've had 100% uptime and excellent support, tickets are answered within 30mins and they are usually on live chat as well.



  • I use Mosso.  its a bit pricey (100/month) but I've always found their service to be good.  My friends chip in (I have mosso bill them) as sub clients for their domains. Its essentially a reseller account.  http://www.mosso.net.  I can also change the platform on the fly.





  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @galgorah said:

    http://www.mosso.net

    I think you meant http://www.mosso.com ... 

    yep your right.

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.