All in the Name of Security ... I think....

• At the start of a 2 month PC refresh contract, we were told that "there was no way in H#!!"  that contractors would get a network accounts.  Start deploying PCs and need to add them to the domain, still no domain accounts for 'Security' reasons. 

The solution:  One generic domain account that is shared among 6 contractors.  WTF?  Can't have personal auditable accounts, but a single generic (with an easily guessed PW) is ok??

•  that's what you get when you get someone with a CCIE as the head of computer security :P

• That would explain a few other WTFs there.  A meeting to schedule a meeting?  Ever hear of these new things called Telephones?  Or (Gasp!) email?

Sorry, my sarcasm cup runneth over today.

• @Bummer_Dude said:

That would explain a few other WTFs there.  A meeting to schedule a meeting? 

That's not a WTF, that's your typicall office mandatory timewaster. Those meeting usually take place exactly when you have a lot of work, and everyone else seems to be task-free.

Also at least 45 minutes will be spent talking about a movie, what someone did last weekend, the xmas party, or any other kind of talk that you couldn't care less about.

• @fatdog said:

That's not a WTF, that's your typicall office mandatory timewaster. Those meeting usually take place exactly when you have a lot of work, and everyone else seems to be task-free.

Also at least 45 minutes will be spent talking about a movie, what someone did last weekend, the xmas party, or any other kind of talk that you couldn't care less about.

Damn I hate those meetings.

Do you have the problem where all of your building's conference rooms are booked solid, but no one ever uses them?

• @Welbog said:

Do you have the problem where all of your building's conference rooms are booked solid, but no one ever uses them?
    OMG YES.

Someone decided back in 2004 that he wanted to schedule one of the rooms every Tuesday from now til FOREVER.  I don't know if he still uses it, or if he even still works here.

• @belgariontheking said:

@Welbog said:

OMG YES.

Someone decided back in 2004 that he wanted to schedule one of the rooms every Tuesday from now til FOREVER.  I don't know if he still uses it, or if he even still works here.

I blame outlook for that.

• @arty said:

@belgariontheking said:
    I blame outlook for that.

No, you just have to be not greedy when you set up your meeting.  By default, if we want recurring meetings, they go for 10 repetitions, so this guy explicitly specified that he wanted the room forever. 

I'm tempted to just go in the room while he's got it reserved and say "Your last rent payment was late.  You're evicted."  Maybe I'll do it with an accent and threaten to send Guido over.

Do your coworkers a favor.  Set an end date when you reserve a room.  If you think you'll need it forever, you're wrong.  Reserve it (at most) one year at a time.

•  @belgariontheking said:

Do your coworkers a favor.  Set an end date when you reserve a room.  If you think you'll need it forever, you're wrong.  Reserve it (at most) one year at a time.

Stop complaining and be creative.  You could try a "Dead poet's society" approach if you can't find a room. Go to the park, or to a cave. I guarantee many hours of fun and productive meetings.

• Best meeting I ever had was like that, got double booked in a conf rm, moved outside to the patio.  No dry presentation, computer or even a white board.  Just ~15 people actually talking to, rather then at, each other.  Tried it again a few months later, but the magic was gone :-( 

(kind of sounds like a 2nd date that should stayed a one-night stand)

• @Bummer_Dude said:

At the start of a 2 month PC refresh contract, we were told that "there was no way in H#!!"  that contractors would get a network accounts.  Start deploying PCs and need to add them to the domain, still no domain accounts for 'Security' reasons. 

The solution:  One generic domain account that is shared among 6 contractors.  WTF?  Can't have personal auditable accounts, but a single generic (with an easily guessed PW) is ok??

I've run into this sort of thing before.  Someone in Security apparently doesn't understand how people work.  This person may also not understand that business needs trump security needs, for without the business, there is nothing to secure.  (Without security, there may not be business for very long, but it *can* exist and even thrive for a while.  This is not intended to suggest that attempting this is anything other than a WTF, however.)