How to store IPv6 in a table?

• Wondering what strategies there are for storing an IPv6 address in a table column. Ideally compatible across Oracle, MySQL, DB2, etc. Don't want to the naive approach of "xx:xx:xx:xx...."

If the same column can store IPv4, that would be a plus too.

• @savar said:

Wondering what strategies there are for storing an IPv6 address in a table column. Ideally compatible across Oracle, MySQL, DB2, etc. Don't want to the naive approach of "xx:xx:xx:xx...."

If the same column can store IPv4, that would be a plus too.

Either a 128-bit unsigned INT (or two 64-bit ones if the DB doesn't support 128-bit INTs, like MySQL) which will hold IPv4 addresses as well (as 32-bit INTs).  PostgreSQL has an "network address" column that will store IPv4/6 addresses with a netmask, but MySQL does not have this.

Two 64-bit INTs should work with most DBs and will also allow you to store IPv4 addrs easily.  It might seem a bit hackish, but it's not bad. 

• I just wanted to come in here and say that I agree with morbs.  I wouldn't be surprised if more RDBMSes start implementing 128 bit ints for exactly this reason, and create native conversion functions into and out of a human-readable form.

I know MySQL has such a pair of conversion functions, and they urge you to use 32-bit ints to store IP addresses and use their conversion functions to convert to strings and back.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.