681765,999616 bytes of data

• Working with the unreal engine, I found the following line in a logfile. Just a case using floats and then not displaying them at the right precision, but still worth a 11 seconds smile...

Log: COOKEDPHYSICS: 89 TriMeshes (665.787109 KB), 1510 Convex Hulls (3610.155273 KB) - Total 4275.942383 KB

• TRWTF is your subject line is completely misleading, how the hell did you get 681 765 999 616 bytes out of something that adds up to ~4 275 000 bytes?

Also storing file sizes as floats is WTFy too.

• 665.787109*1024=681765.999616. Clearly kvdveer uses a comma as a decimal separator, which is fairly obvious considering there is only one of them in the number in the subject, not one every three digits.

• @NSCoder said:

665.787109*1024=681765.999616. Clearly kvdveer uses a comma as a decimal separator, which is fairly obvious considering there is only one of them in the number in the subject, not one every three digits.

Except, there's actually 4275kB of data, just 665kB of trimeshes. But I see your point.

• I started to wonder why each and every thread got a 1-star rating and after some investigation I noticed 'fatdog' rates all of them with 1 star. :O Dubious.

• :belt_onion:

@pbean said:

I started to wonder why each and every thread got a 1-star rating and after some investigation I noticed 'fatdog' rates all of them with 1 star. :O Dubious.

It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it

• @pbean said:

I started to wonder why each and every thread got a 1-star rating and after some investigation I noticed 'fatdog' rates all of them with 1 star. :O Dubious.
    I've known that for months.  There was a time that he rated everything a 5 for about a week, but that encouraged too many shitty OPs so he went back to 1s.

• @pbean said:

Yeah, but the OPs usually rate themselves "5" so it evens out.  Nobody really gives a shit about the ratings, anyway, but I think it's better to err on the side of "1-star" than the side of "5-stars". 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@pbean said:

Yeah, but the OPs usually rate themselves "5" so it evens out.  Nobody really gives a shit about the ratings, anyway, but I think it's better to err on the side of "1-star" than the side of "5-stars". 

Boo!  Lame post.  I rate it 1 star.

• One byte of memory is 0,0009765625 kilobytes. There's nothing wrong with the precision used. The reason the total value doesn't match the sum is because the displayed values are rounded to the nearest millionth of a kilobyte. 

• @Jonathan said:

One byte of memory is 0,0009765625 kilobytes. There's nothing wrong with the precision used. The reason the total value doesn't match the sum is because the displayed values are rounded to the nearest millionth of a kilobyte.
    Really?  How enlightening!

• @morbiuswilters said:

Yeah, but the OPs usually rate themselves "5" so it evens out.

Didn't even know you could do that, though I really should be past the point where I find it surprising by now.

• @belgariontheking said:

Larry Ellison I am coming to your house so you can fix your broken program at gunpoint

I've been meaning to ask, haven't you made it to Larry's house yet?  We're still waiting for the fix so I guess not.

• @Zagyg said:

@belgariontheking said:

Larry Ellison I am coming to your house so you can fix your broken program at gunpoint

I've been meaning to ask, haven't you made it to Larry's house yet?  We're still waiting for the fix so I guess not.

He made the mistake of storing the address in Oracle, and he can't figure out how to get it out.

• @bstorer said:

@Zagyg said:

@belgariontheking said:

He made the mistake of storing the address in Oracle, and he can't figure out how to get it out.
    The reason it's so hard is that there's a bunch of fields with FileNotFound in the database, and the address isn't directly stored as text, but instead requires these FileNotFound fields to provide auxiliary information which are then passed to the paulaBean.getPaula() for more processing.

• @bstorer said:

Easy.  Install the JVM, the Oracle client, Oracle Data Access Components, Run the Net Configuration Manager, configure it to use TNSNames, run something else to create your TNSNames.ora file, done.  Honestly, what could be simpler?

• @upsidedowncreature said:

@bstorer said:

Easy.  Install the JVM, the Oracle client, Oracle Data Access Components, Run the Net Configuration Manager, configure it to use TNSNames, run something else to create your TNSNames.ora file, done.  Honestly, what could be simpler?

Knocking on every door in North America until he finds the right house?

• @bstorer said:

@upsidedowncreature said:

@bstorer said:

Gentlemen, RVs. Discuss.

• @j6cubic said:

@bstorer said:

@bstorer said:

Gentlemen, RVs. Discuss.
    Dammit why did you have to bring that up?  I never thought of knocking on every stationary door and every moving door. 

Shit, Larry could be on a yacht.  Or a Yacht-plane.  How am I gonna knock on every door of everyYacht-plane?

Here's hoping he's famous enough to be on a Star Map.

@j6cubic said:

@bstorer said:

@bstorer said:

Gentlemen, RVs. Discuss.
    Dammit why did you have to bring that up?  I never thought of knocking on every stationary door and every moving door. 

Shit, Larry could be on a yacht.  Or a zeppelin  How am I gonna knock on every door of every zeppelin?

FTFY

Shit, Larry could be on a yacht.  Or a Yacht-plane.  How am I gonna knock on every door of everyYacht-plane?

If only there were some sort of oracle to answer these questions...

• @NSCoder said:

665.787109*1024=681765.999616. Clearly kvdveer uses a comma as a decimal separator, which is fairly obvious considering there is only one of them in the number in the subject, not one every three digits.

I clicked on the title expecting a bug that inserted commas every 6 decimal places rather than every 3. Come to think of it, that would have been more interesting than the innapropriate use of a float in a harmless debug context.

Anyway, I'd be careful about making "clear" and "obvious" assumptions with logic gleaned from posts dedicated to illogical programming practices.

• > 681765,999616

Hey, wasn't that my Compuserve user id?

• @Cantabrigian said:

> 681765,999616

Hey, wasn't that my Compuserve user id?

Geeze, it does look like a Compuserve id! By the way, what happened to Compuserve? Are they still an ISP? Or do they even exist anymore?

•  From Wikipedia:

CompuServe, (CompuServe Information Service, also known by its acronym CIS), was the first major commercial online service in the United States. It dominated the field during the 1980s and remained a major player through the mid-1990s, when it was sidelined by the rise of information services such as AOL that charged monthly subscriptions rather than hourly rates. Today the CompuServe Information Service operates as an online service provider and an Internet service provider, owned by AOL.