IEEE.org User Registration



  • IEEE's user registration for their website is pretty unimpressive for the "The world's leading professional association for the advancement of technology".

    On the "date of birth" calendar, you can select days <= 0 as well as > 31.

    There's also no way to see or select the year. So unless you were born in the current calendar year, you'll probably have to edit the date by hand.

    Finally, the user name has to be UPPER CASE. If you type it in mixed case, you get an error.

    I stopped there.

     



  • Jesus christ, forum software...



  •  The real WTF is you were signing up for the IEEE?

     I've had plenty of conversations about floating point, but NEVER has anybody referenced or quoted IEEE 754.  Frequently mentioned, never used.  Although I'm sure a few of the GCC developers reference it privately, it's biggest impact seems to be hardware, but even that has a lot unspecified or implementation defined, nevermind that various bits of hardware ignore whatever rules are inconvenient!

     Historical significance is another matter entirely.  There used to be a lot more diversity in hardware, which it cut down.  Something to be thankful for I guess.



  • @Rhamphoryncus said:

     The real WTF is you were signing up for the IEEE?

     I've had plenty of conversations about floating point, but NEVER has anybody referenced or quoted IEEE 754.  Frequently mentioned, never used.  Although I'm sure a few of the GCC developers reference it privately, it's biggest impact seems to be hardware, but even that has a lot unspecified or implementation defined, nevermind that various bits of hardware ignore whatever rules are inconvenient!

     Historical significance is another matter entirely.  There used to be a lot more diversity in hardware, which it cut down.  Something to be thankful for I guess.

     That's a troll, right? Right?



  • @Rhamphoryncus said:

    The real WTF is you were signing up for the IEEE?

    I was going to say using a mac... but ok.



  •  forget IEEE,, ACM is cheaper and you get more for your membership dollars



  • @Kemp said:

    @Rhamphoryncus said:

     The real WTF is you were signing up for the IEEE?

     I've had plenty of conversations about floating point, but NEVER has anybody referenced or quoted IEEE 754.  Frequently mentioned, never used.  Although I'm sure a few of the GCC developers reference it privately, it's biggest impact seems to be hardware, but even that has a lot unspecified or implementation defined, nevermind that various bits of hardware ignore whatever rules are inconvenient!

     Historical significance is another matter entirely.  There used to be a lot more diversity in hardware, which it cut down.  Something to be thankful for I guess.

     That's a troll, right? Right?

     

    Nope, just jaded.



  • @Kemp said:

    @Rhamphoryncus said:

     The real WTF is you were signing up for the IEEE?

     I've had plenty of conversations about floating point, but NEVER has anybody referenced or quoted IEEE 754.  Frequently mentioned, never used.  Although I'm sure a few of the GCC developers reference it privately, it's biggest impact seems to be hardware, but even that has a lot unspecified or implementation defined, nevermind that various bits of hardware ignore whatever rules are inconvenient!

     Historical significance is another matter entirely.  There used to be a lot more diversity in hardware, which it cut down.  Something to be thankful for I guess.

     That's a troll, right? Right?

    Nah, its for real.  Nobody used IEEE-754.  Ever.  And 802.13 doesn't
    exist either.  It's just a rumour started by the IEEE to try and cover
    up the gummint's contacts with ALIENS!!!1!!!

    < wanders off, whistling theme tune to "Born on the Minus Fourth of July" >



  •  @Rhamphoryncus said:

     The real WTF is you were signing up for the IEEE?

     I've had plenty of conversations about floating point, but NEVER has anybody referenced or quoted IEEE 754.

     So you probably know there's more to IEEE than floating point numbers and still post this??



  • @savar said:

    On the "date of birth" calendar, you can select days <= 0 as well as > 31.

    There's also no way to see or select the year. So unless you were born in the current calendar year, you'll probably have to edit the date by hand.

     

    Pshaw.  I was born Oct 31, 1978.  It's currently Dec 1, 2008.  I simply need to state that I was born on December -10668, 2008



  • I tried this on Firefox/Ubuntu and Safari/OSX10.4. WIth Firefox, it showed Dec in the first box and 2008 in the second box, and i could choose a year from 1948 to 2067. With Safari, it showed up like the screenshot you posted, with a 0 as default and every number from -60 to 59 in the list. Seems to be an issue with their javascript and Safari.



  • @topspin said:

     So you probably know there's more to IEEE than floating point numbers and still post this??

     

    That's a good point actually.  It must be my strange little software world where IEEE almost exclusely means floating point.



  • @Rhamphoryncus said:

    @topspin said:

     So you probably know there's more to IEEE than floating point numbers and still post this??

     

    That's a good point actually.  It must be my strange little software world where IEEE almost exclusely means floating point.

     

    Yes, it being a worldwide standards organization relating to everything from medical devices to wireless protocols.



  •  Aye.  In hindsight I wouldn't have said anything had I considered the view of an electrical engineer (or whatever), rather than a programmer.

     Oh well.  Nothing for me to do but concede it and move on.



  • Is that a Java applet they're using for the calendar, or is there some other reason why the "save" and "cancel" buttons don't match the rest of the user interface?



  • @DaveK said:

    It's just a rumour started by the IEEE to try and cover
    up the gummint's contacts with ALIENS!!!1!!!
    And all devoted readers of this forum should be aware that aliens ARE floating points...



  • @Carnildo said:

    Is that a Java applet they're using for the calendar, or is there some other reason why the "save" and "cancel" buttons don't match the rest of the user interface?
    They look like utter shit, so I'm guessing yes.



  • @Eternal Density said:

    @DaveK said:

    It's just a rumour started by the IEEE to try and cover
    up the gummint's contacts with ALIENS!!!1!!!
    And all devoted readers of this forum should be aware that aliens ARE floating points...

    The aliens travel to Earth in Unidentified Floating Points, of course!



  • And how many aliens, pray tell, fit into a point?

    And if their points float, doesn't it take enormously long to reach the earth? 

    No way you speak truth here. We all know that aliens travel in pyramids. 



  • @Ilya Ehrenburg said:

    And how many aliens, pray tell, can dance on a point?
    FTFY.@Ilya Ehrenburg said:
    No way you speak truth here. We all know that aliens travel in pyramids. 
    You're right.  The points were just the Goa'uld's way of distracting SpectateSwamp so they can take over without fear of him throwing holey stones at them...

     



  •  This is probably the same IEEE who kept on messing up the magazine subscriptions of one of my university lecturers. She discovered that they were using (first_name, last_name) as a primary key.



  • @jeffg said:

     forget IEEE,, ACM is cheaper and you get more for your membership dollars

    True. Though the IEEE will send you membership offers after joining ACM. By the way, those guys got my surname wrong... they're using my second surname instead of the first, despite me filling both surnames in the "Last Name" field.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.