High-tech building + no smoking = ...

• @Farmer Brown said:

alpha members
    Good God, man, buy a freaking thesaurus.

• @Farmer Brown said:

@DOA said:
    And hopefully spare me replies like this. It's a pity it doesn't always work.
    To be fair, your posts in this thread have been whiny and flat out stupid.

However, don't despair, the trolling and flaming the various alpha members are doing are probably more because I questioned another alpha than for your obnoxiousness.
    You're just aching for abuse, aren't you? Tell you what, why don't you just read what you quoted and we leave it at that.

• @DOA said:

You're just aching for abuse, aren't you

One might argue that you seem to be, by posting obvious troll material in this thread in the first place and then constantly escalating the absurdity level of it.

KenW does seem to be correct about your posting history though, this seems to be your Modus Operandi.

• @Farmer Brown said:

One might argue that you seem to be, by posting obvious troll material in this thread in the first place and then constantly escalating the absurdity level of it.

I'm currently shoving a pot, a kettle, and a raging hot iron up your stupid, useless ass.

• @durendal.mk3 said:

I'm currently shoving a pot, a kettle, and a raging hot iron up your stupid, useless ass.

You would...

• It's nice to see how my little WTF about lack of courtesy has spawned so much intra-forum bitching...

• @ActionMan said:

It's nice to see how my little WTF about lack of courtesy has spawned so much intra-forum bitching...

Eh, most of it has nothing to do with you.  We got a flood of n00bs yesterday and as usual it's taking them awhile to get used to a forum where people act older than 11.

• I think the governments should enforce smoking. It has been proven to reduce chances of getting various mental illnesses and is a known stress reliever. The (allegedly) lower life expectancy isn't that bad either. People are living too long anyways.

Besides, if people want to ban voting i want to ban sauerkraut. It smells and it's probebly also something you can get cancer from.

• @stratos said:

The (allegedly) lower life expectancy isn't that bad either.

Personally, I think it's worth the risk since the actual affects are rather hit-or-miss and the diseases usually take decades of heavy smoking to contract.  However, there is no "alleged" about it: you can be absolutely sure that smoking will statistically lower your lifespan.  Then again, most fun things do.  I think if you work to control your smoking habit somewhat (abstain from chain smoking, force yourself to go outside to smoke even if you don't have to simply because it will reduce how much you smoke, smoke healthier cigarettes) and completely quit if you start having real health problems like hypertension, chronic asthma or bronchitis, etc.. you are more likely to live longer.  Obviously if you get cancer there isn't much that quitting will do to reverse that, but that is almost always a very late-life disease anyway.  If you're still smoking at 50 or 55, you pretty much have accepted that you may die in the next 5 to 15 years but are willing to take the risk.  I know several people who smoked ridiculous amounts and lived to old age, but I also know a few who died prematurely, so I'm not deluding myself.  However, my health-nut grandfather who never touched alcohol or tobacco died a full 13 years younger than my heavy-smoking, heavy-tobacco-chewing, exclusively-red-meat-diet grandfather.  And even the healthy grandfather lived to a normal life expectancy, so I don't know what else you can really expect out of life.

@stratos said:

People are living too long anyways.

In my opinion, one day is almost twenty-four hours too long for most people to live.

@stratos said:

Besides, if people want to ban voting i want to ban sauerkraut. It smells and it's probebly also something you can get cancer from.

I was always under the impression that sauerkraut was cancer, like the icky insides of cabbage tumors or something.  The worst is the kind with the caraway seeds in it.  I used to be forced to each the regular kind as a kid but when my mom made the kind with seeds in it I realized that no matter how bad things seem, they can always get worse if you add caraway seeds.  It was at that moment that I looked into the eyes of God with desperate entreaty and saw only the hollow stare of a deranged mind returned.  It was at that moment that acrimonious clarity seized me and I saw that mankind was nothing but a shrieking cacophony of madness nearly swallowed by an infinite, uncaring universe conceived by a God that had long ago lost his sanity as the castles burned all around him.

It was at that moment that I became a man. 

• As always, any discussion about Smokers' rights basically reduces things to the Snoutcasts vs the Self-righteous. Fairly predictable really.

One point I would like to make is, to the guy who moaned about smokers taking breaks and costing him money in terms of productivity: how about the fact that smokers willl be dying off nice and early, thus saving you millions in pension and geriatric health care costs. And when you're lying there aged 88, wondering what your name is and peeing yourself on an hourly basis, maybe you'll be wishing you'd kept it simple and popped off a bit earlier too...

• @morbiuswilters said:

people act older than 11.
    Speak for yourself, smellybutt!

• @morbiuswilters said:

But last time you said that happened in MPS's van. And it was candy, not sauerkraut.

• @vr602 said:

As always, any discussion about Smokers' rights basically reduces things to the Snoutcasts vs the Self-righteous. Fairly predictable really.

One point I would like to make is, to the guy who moaned about smokers taking breaks and costing him money in terms of productivity: how about the fact that smokers willl be dying off nice and early, thus saving you millions in pension and geriatric health care costs. And when you're lying there aged 88, wondering what your name is and peeing yourself on an hourly basis, maybe you'll be wishing you'd kept it simple and popped off a bit earlier too...

Exactly.  I actually made this point in one of my Long Lists O' Bitching® but I'm not surprised you didn't want to read through 4 pages of flaming and trolling just to locate my wonderful pearls of genius; fluid pearls of brilliance that wash across your countenance, edifying and inflaming you all at once...

• @Spectre said:

@morbiuswilters said:

But last time you said that happened in MPS's van. And it was candy, not sauerkraut.

You're confused: that wasn't when I became a man, it's when I castrated a man.

• @morbiuswilters said:

... fluid pearls of brilliance that wash across your countenance, edifying and inflaming you all at once...

Don't you dare do that to me, you dirty man. Or at least let's negotiate the price first.

• @vr602 said:

@morbiuswilters said:

... fluid pearls of brilliance that wash across your countenance, edifying and inflaming you all at once...

Don't you dare do that to me, you dirty man. Or at least let's negotiate the price first.

Alright, $500 an hour or $2000 a night seems fair to me.  I accept cash or credit card. 

• @morbiuswilters said:

smoke healthier cigarettes
    I've heard of (but never seen) studies showing that these "light" cigarettes don't actually do much to reduce the risk of cancer, etc. in smokers.  The reason being that people who smoke lights take harder hits and smoke more cigarettes.  Of course, if you're smoking less, as you suggested at other parts of your post, this is discounted.

This is part of why, when I smoked, I smoked the hard stuff (Marlboro Red, Clove Cigarettes, occasional Black and Mild).  The other reasons:  Light cigarettes don't taste or smell as good, I wasn't addicted and was still getting a decent buzz from each cig, Marlboro Reds make me feel like a man.

• @belgariontheking said:

@morbiuswilters said:

smoke healthier cigarettes
    I've heard of (but never seen) studies showing that these "light" cigarettes don't actually do much to reduce the risk of cancer, etc. in smokers.  The reason being that people who smoke lights take harder hits and smoke more cigarettes.  Of course, if you're smoking less, as you suggested at other parts of your post, this is discounted.

This is part of why, when I smoked, I smoked the hard stuff (Marlboro Red, Clove Cigarettes, occasional Black and Mild).  The other reasons:  Light cigarettes don't taste or smell as good, I wasn't addicted and was still getting a decent buzz from each cig, Marlboro Reds make me feel like a man.

All of which is true.  Except the part about clove cigarettes, which is just immensely gay.  Only goth chicks smoke cloves, man.

People who smoke lights also tend to cover the holes in the filter which circumvent the "lightness" of the cigarette.  They just end up doing this unconsciously as they get a stronger hit of nicotine from the cigs when the holes are covered.  However, if you don't cover the holes and don't smoke more to compensate, lights are a good alternative.  I don't get a buzz from nicotine and I don't smoke for the nicotine, so lights are fine.  Mostly, I just like the taste of the smoke and the act of smoking and it acts as an anxiety-reliever to have a few every day.  For people who are addicted to nicotine, you can still work your way down to the lighter stuff.

• @fatdog said:

@NSCoder said:

Where's the first WTF? Quitting makes a whole lot more sense than expecting your employer to install a suicide booth for you. Would they even be allowed such a booth on a 'completely non-smoking estate'?

Yes, I won't listen to my mom, or my wife, or my kids, nor my doctor, or my dead uncle (who died of lung cancer), but I'm sure that if my company decided to send me a memo like that, I will stop being an addict and quit smoking. 

Money talks.  The thought of possibly losing your life to lung cancer, or giving someone else lung cancer, in the future is easily dismissed.  The thought of losing your job right now isn't.

• @Soviut said:

Money talks.  The thought of possibly losing your life to lung cancer, or giving someone else lung cancer, in the future is easily dismissed.  The thought of losing your job right now isn't.

Which is an amazing commentary on our species these days.

• After reading this entire thread and seeing Sauerkraut referenced, my only thought was:

@WeirdAlYancovic said:

Anyway I, I know it's kind of a roundabout way of saying it
    But I guess the whole point I'm tryin' to make here is

I
    HATE
    SAUERKRAUT!

That's all I'm really tryin' to say
    And, by the way, if one day you happen to wake up
    And find yourself in an existential quandary
    Full of loathing and self-doubt
    And wracked with the pain and isolation of your pitiful meaningless existence
    At least you can take a small bit of comfort in knowing that
    Somewhere out there in this crazy old mixed-up universe of ours
    There's still a little place called

Albuquerque

Oh, that and Farmer Brown entertains me. Not in the "oh he so smart and witty i jus lissen him talk HOURS" way. More in the "So a scientologist walks into a 4chan party..." or "a trekkie shows up to a Star Wars convention" kind of way.

You know that sweet spot in High School where you make fun of a kid enough to be funny every time, but not enough to make him stop hanging out with you? Please, guys, keep it there as long as possible.

• stop bitching and quit, weak souls

• @ActionMan said:

We will certainly be strongly discouraging employees who smoke from standing too close to main roads and from taking extended breaks from work to go further afield to smoke. We’d therefore like to take this opportunity to suggest and encourage employees who smoke to consider – over the next few weeks, and over Christmas and New Year break – resigning.

Fixed that for you.

• @ebs2002 said:

Oh, that and Farmer Brown entertains me. Not in the "oh he so smart and witty i jus lissen him talk HOURS" way. More in the "So a scientologist walks into a 4chan party..." or "a trekkie shows up to a Star Wars convention" kind of way.

You know that sweet spot in High School where you make fun of a kid enough to be funny every time, but not enough to make him stop hanging out with you? Please, guys, keep it there as long as possible.

It's just MPS.  He created a new account to troll me because he is sexually obsessed with me and apparently someone is actually pathetic enough to actually follow me around.

• @tdb said:

TRWTF is that people willingly destroy their health and the health of those around them by smoking.

FTFW ... I avoid smokers like the plague for two reasons

A) i like my health

B) my nose and lungs aren't desensatized to the toxens so I have exposure symptoms (headache, difficulty breathing) if they're 100m up wind of me...

yay for trying to stay healthy in a world full of inconsiderate addicted pollution factories

• @campkev said:

@NSCoder said:

Maybe having to stand out by the road would be an extra encouragement to quit, maybe not. It's up to you whether you quit smoking or not (yes, really, it's not impossible) but there's no point whinging if you're not allowed to do it on a non-smoking estate, and expecting everyone else to accommodate your addiction. It's your addiction, you deal with it.

I agree despite (or maybe because of) the fact that I'm a former smoker myself. Instead of preaching to our kids about not smoking, my wife and I just react to people smoking the same way we would if they reached inside their pants to scratch their butt and then licked their fingers.

has it worked? that's why my wife and I planned on doing (it's what we do anyway) around our kids if/when we have them

• @amischiefr said:

@DOA said:

Sounds good to me. I'm so fucking sick and tired of taking in random lungfuls of smoke because it's a bit windy and some guy 5m away just has to have that cigarette or he'll die from withdrawal symptoms. As far as I'm concerned smokers should be "moved on" until they cannot possibly annoy anyone. May I suggest some place around the middle of the Pacific?

I mean seriously was peer pressure in highchool so strong that you have to die before your time gasping from breath? Grow a pair and stand up for yourself. Or was it so difficult to understand that when EVERYONE said smoking is bad for you then maybe, just maybe, it's bad for you?

<sarcasm>Wow, your comments are always so insightful.</sarcasm>

Maybe you should be the one to stand out in the middle ofthe Pacific.   We're sick and tired of you all whining about it just as much as you are.  Smoking is not illegal.  To say that you have more rights than any other citizen because you are a non smoker is just retarded. 

I agree that smokers should be removed from the front of the building, and that they should be placed somewhere that does not interfere with the general traffic in and out of the building.  I agree with non-smoking facilities.  What I don't agree with is trying to stomp out smokers because you don't like it.  Just give them a place to smoke that is out of the way and that non-smokers do not have to walk past, end of story.  If people want to smoke let them.

is legal now

is not a right

is a violation of the rights of others

what is legal and what is right don't always end up being the same thing

it's not "whining" to be pissed off at incosiderate self-centered fucktards who insist on poisoning YOU for THEIR pleasure

by your logic i have the right to come inject you with toxins for my enjoyment! and if you object "you're just whining"

• @Kazan said:

is legal now

is not a right

what is legal and what is right don't always end up being the same thing

it's not "whining" to be pissed off at incosiderate self-centered fucktards who insist on poisoning YOU for THEIR pleasure

by your logic i have the right to come inject you with toxins for my enjoyment! and if you object "you're just whining"

Holy shit you are a whiny bitch.  Blame nature if your body spazzes out because of smoke inhalation.  It's not my fault you're a genetically defective piece of garbage that should have died of natural causes long ago.  Besides, pollution from cars is doing more damage to your health than anybody smoking ever did.

Just stop whining and accept that there are other people in the world and at times you may end up interacting with them in various ways, traumatic as that evidently is for you.  Having to look you in the face would probably make me throw up, which is certainly not good for my health, but I'm not going to insist you wear a paper sack of your head.

• @Kazan said:

You are so fucking full of shit.  Violation of rights?  Give me a fucking break!

Explain how you are different than any of the other whiners in here.  Explain that you fucking moron.

• @Kazan said:

What did you just called me? 

• @morbiuswilters said:

Just stop whining and accept that there are other people in the world and at times you may end up interacting with them in various ways

there's a difference between having to interact with people and having to be poisoned by people

• @Kazan said:

by your logic i have the right to come inject you with toxins for my enjoyment!

No, you don't.  That would be bodily harm, and that's a crime.  Smoking on public open areas is not.

Try thinking before posting.

• @jeffg said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Just stop whining and accept that there are other people in the world and at times you may end up interacting with them in various ways

there's a difference between having to interact with people and having to be poisoned by people

When you stop driving your  hummer, or whatever V8 you have causing high emmissions, and walk or bike everywhere I'll stop smoking.  I found it VERY hipocritical when my university started to implement a no smoking policy, but did absolutely NOTHING about the busses they have driving all over campus spitting out HUGE clouds of visible toxic fumes all day.  

This fucking thread needs to be over, its just four pages of bullshit and whining.

• @amischiefr said:

When you stop driving your  hummer, or whatever V8 you have causing high emmissions, and walk or bike everywhere I'll stop smoking. 

It's nonsensical logic like this that thedailywtf.com exists to showcase.  I wonder how many times your coworkers have submitted your brillant work to this site..

• @jeffg said:

@amischiefr said:

When you stop driving your  hummer, or whatever V8 you have causing high emmissions, and walk or bike everywhere I'll stop smoking. 

It's nonsensical logic like this that thedailywtf.com exists to showcase.  I wonder how many times your coworkers have submitted your brillant work to this site..

Why is that nonsensical logic? Granted, his assumption that you drive a car is probably not founded on concrete evidence. But driving a car exposes others to toxins. What's the difference to smoking?

• @jeffg said:

We're interacting via this thread and you are spreading toxic stupidity, so I don't see a big difference.  As has been pointed out many, many, many times the pollution from cars, electricity, etc.. are far more damaging than tobacco smoke in an open space.  We're all poisoning each other a little bit: only retards can't understand that and only whiners bitch about tiny amounts of "poisoning" from cigarette smoke.  Seriously, you anti-smoking people are so goddamned uptight and irritating you only make me want to smoke more so I can die all the sooner and escape your insufferable stupidity.  It's people you like you who need to be smoking so you can calm the fuck down.

• @Ilya Ehrenburg said:

Why is that nonsensical logic? Granted, his assumption that you drive a car is probably not founded on concrete evidence. But driving a car exposes others to toxins. What's the difference to smoking?

You're right.  I'll wait for them to do the study comparing cancer rates amongst non-smokers who drive and smokers who don't.

• @morbiuswilters said:

you only make me want to smoke more so I can die all the sooner
    Music to our ears.  Keep it up, everyone!

• ♿ (Parody)

@Ilya Ehrenburg said:

But driving a car exposes others to toxins. What's the difference to smoking?
    Driving the car might actually kill someone else.  Though more likely from plowing into them than as a carcinogen.

• @jeffg said:

You're right.  I'll wait for them to do the study comparing cancer rates amongst non-smokers who drive and smokers who don't.

But that is absolutely not the point. When you smoke, you inhale a lot of substances with various degrees of toxicity [b]in rather high concentration[/b]. When you breathe in some of the smoke of a cigarette smoked several yards away, it's been diluted a lot. So compare the cancer rates amongst smokers and people who habitually breathe directly from the exhaust pipe of a running car or amongst non-smokers who live in towns with cars but no smokers and in towns without cars but with smokers. 

• @Ilya Ehrenburg said:

How about this: smoking brings a tiny bit of joy to millions of people every day but nobody has ever benefitted from Kazan or jeffg transporting their moronic, fat asses around civilization?

Image related:

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    you only make me want to smoke more so I can die all the sooner
    Music to our ears.  Keep it up, everyone!

I love you too.  <3 

• @morbiuswilters said:

How about this: smoking brings a tiny bit of joy to millions of people every day but nobody has ever benefitted from Kazan or jeffg transporting their moronic, fat asses around civilization?

a tiny joy to the millions of people who pay more for health insurance because of increased health care costs due to smokers?

or a tiny joy to the millions of kids who get to watch their parents die young?

•  @Ilya Ehrenburg said:

But that is absolutely not the point. When you smoke, you inhale a lot of substances with various degrees of toxicity in rather high concentration. When you breathe in some of the smoke of a cigarette smoked several yards away, it's been diluted a lot. So compare the cancer rates amongst smokers and people who habitually breathe directly from the exhaust pipe of a running car or amongst non-smokers who live in towns with cars but no smokers and in towns without cars but with smokers. 

admit it.. you are Sarah Palin

•  @morbiuswilters said:

only whiners bitch about tiny amounts of "poisoning" from cigarette smoke.

No, only those who use the tired "I'm a victim" angle to justify their opinions because they haven't had an original thought in their entire lives bitch about it. I don't care about the poisoning, but it is really fucking obnoxious to stand by a doorway/high traffic area when you smoke. I don't smoke and I don't want to smell like cigarette smoke for an hour because I happened to walk by someone who desperately needed to light up.

Personally, I'm glad most clubs have banned smoking in Houston; now I can finally get my game on without sounding like Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle.

• @jeffg said:

Coming from you, that's probably meant as a compliment, so thanks. But no, I'm not, I've never been to Alaska, I don't hunt, I'm not female. I do wear glasses, though, so I guess it's natural to confuse us.

• @boomzilla said:

@Ilya Ehrenburg said:

But driving a car exposes others to toxins. What's the difference to smoking?
    Driving the car might actually kill someone else.  Though more likely from plowing into them than as a carcinogen.

boomzilla, be less of an idiot.  then we may let you post on our forums again.

• @jeffg said:

a tiny joy to the millions of people who pay more for health insurance because of increased health care costs due to smokers?
    jeffg, be less of an annoying retard and we may let you post on our forums again.

• @jeffg said:

Are you calling him sexy?  Cuz I'm pretty sure he isn't sexy... 

• @durendal.mk3 said:

I don't care about the poisoning, but it is really fucking obnoxious to stand by a doorway/high traffic area when you smoke. I don't smoke and I don't want to smell like cigarette smoke for an hour because I happened to walk by someone who desperately needed to light up.

That's understandable, but how often is it an issue?  Where I work there really is nowhere to smoke but right in front of some door, but the smoke all floats up and no passersby smell like smoke for an hour.

@durendal.mk3 said:

Personally, I'm glad most clubs have banned smoking in Houston; now I can finally get my game on without sounding like Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle.

Well, yeah, I completely agree indoors.  I think private businesses should have the right to decide whether they allow it or not, but even as a smoker I would make people take it outside of any bar or restaurant I owned.  However, most of the whiners here are complaining about people smoking on a sidewalk or something.  Seriously, that breaks new ground in self-righteous whininess.