Firefox Emulator

•  I was sitting in class and watching my professor during the break. She was trying to make a podcast link work, but Firefox said it was running and not responding. I almost thought she had it when she hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, but she just hit cancel instead of clicking Task Manager.

Anyway, the podcast won't work in IE, it just generates a nice little page error, so she closes it. And futilly clicks the link a couple more times. Nothing. She even tries opening Firefox by right clicking, and by navigating through the start menu.

She's given up on using Firefox directly now, so what does she do? She fires up IE again and goes to www.mozilla.org, at which point she tries pasting the link into the address bar. This is the point where I lost all faith that she would ever figure it out, there was nothing to do now but watch as she tried doing it 3 more times.

I almost felt bad for her...

•  I'm going to bet on a media plugin (something for mp3 or maybe even exotic m4a files) crashing it. And I'll further put some chips down to blame quicktime.

•  There are definitely some professors that should not be teaching.  I had one, for my 2nd level programming class, who couldn't even help me with my Swing application in Java.  She was teaching the course, but didn't understand what .setVisibility(true) was, or how it worked...  Apparently she was a good C++ programmer, but couldn't figure out Java.  I didn't know Java was that hard...

• @Bendynachos said:

She fires up IE again and goes to www.mozilla.org, at which point she tries pasting the link into the address bar.
    WTF....

@amischiefr said:

Apparently she was a good C++ programmer, but couldn't figure out Java.
    Damn kids with your rock 'n' roll and your long hair and your automated garbage collection...

• @amischiefr said:

There are definitely some professors that should not be teaching.

Very true. I had one who taught the "hardware" class (how does a CPU work? etc...). To get in some practical stuff as well, he one day "surprised" us when he said he had written an assembler (!) program to calculate the greatest common divisor of two numbers. When he ran it, Windows XP crashed into a blue screen. The following week he told us he'd fixed it. He ran it (double clicking it in the Explorer), we saw a text console window flashing for a fraction of a second. Asking where he'd be able to enter the two numbers and where the program showed the result he said that he had actually hardcoded everything and hadn't "wasted any time on an output routine".

He didn't send us teh codez but I've always been sure it consisted of only one line: <font face="courier new,courier">NOP</font>

• @amischiefr said:

There are definitely some professors that should not be teaching. 

In all fairness to the prof, she is a Geography prof.

Still seems like common sense that going to a different browser's website won't make the current browser work like the other one...

@DOA said:

@Bendynachos said:
    She fires up IE again and goes to www.mozilla.org, at which point she tries pasting the link into the address bar.
    WTF....

Yeah, it took me a good minute or two to understand her logic.