I love redefining words

•  Shrunk a bit by photobucket, but you get the point.

• Phone a friend

Oh! Oh! I know! It's a "stringless crossbow!"

Do I win a prize?

• If you look *really* close, you can see the deer in the background just to the left of the hunter.  That deer has such great equipment the hunter doesn't realize he's facing the wrong direction!

•  You may continue for the dishwasher

•  I'm not sure it's so "great" for the deer.... 

• @AssimilatedByBorg said:

I'm not sure it's so "great" for the deer.... 

Hunting with a revolver?  WTF?  A rifle is much more likely to make a quick kill than a revolver which will probably result in the animal dying over a period of hours or days... 

• @morbiuswilters said:

@AssimilatedByBorg said:

I'm not sure it's so "great" for the deer.... 

Hunting with a revolver?  WTF?  A rifle is much more likely to make a quick kill than a revolver which will probably result in the animal dying over a period of hours or days... 

I didn't make myself clear... I meant, give the deer the revolver for a fighting chance.

(Yes, I'm joking.)

• @dtech said:

You may continue for the dishwasher

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.

@AssimilatedByBorg said:

I didn't make myself clear... I meant, give the deer the revolver for a fighting chance.

Oo, free revolver with purchase! I'll double down.

•  TRWTF is that he posted that as a PNG.

• @Zylon said:

TRWTF is that he posted that as a PNG.
    And what would you suggest?  png is the best and smallest for screenshots.  I hope you don't think jpg and bmp are better.

•  The image you posted is approximately 1,800K. This image is 164K:

A greater than 90% reduction in file size, for a barely discernable loss in quality.

I hope you're better with code than you are with codecs.

• @belgariontheking said:

And what would you suggest?  png is the best and smallest for screenshots.  I hope you don't think jpg and bmp are better.

I think in this case, a jpg or a png would be equally suited. Png is the best for screenshots, but not when the screenshot is comprised predominantly of a photo. The image in question is about 50% photo so you could probably go either way. I would have probably chosen a bmp but only to screw people over!

• @Zylon said:

The image you posted is approximately 1,800K. This image is 164K:
    Big deal, this one is 7K.

And you can still discern the details that matter!

• @Zylon said:

That's odd.  When I look at the image on my hard drive, it's only 900K.

It's by far the largest png (file size) that I have in that directory.  PNG usually doesn't get that big.  For instance, I have one that's actually full screen but it's only 114K. 

The 900K image was perfect quality, whereas the 1800K image lost quality.  Go figure.

•  Jpeg is definitely the best compression for this mostly photographic type of image, at least for viewing in a browser, and having some decency about file size (1,800K, sheesh). Even at lower file sizes around 70k with quality around 40 the photographic parts look good, although you can see some distortion in the navbar and graphic design.

• @bstorer said:

@Zylon said:

Big Deal, this one is 153 bytes.

"It's the Bass Pro Shops site open in a browser with a large image of a dude holding a rifle with the words 'More Great Archery Gear For Dear' above him."

And you still know all the details that matter! 

• Beware the Great Hunter

Oh, I absolutely love his camouflage gear. It goes so well with the orange hat he is wearing.

• @gerard_ said:

Oh, I absolutely love his camouflage gear. It goes so well with the orange hat he is wearing.

Not to be too pedantic or boring, but I think orange is worn by hunters to avoid being shot by other hunters.  They don't want the camouflage to work too well.  In some jurisdictions and situations, I believe wearing orange is mandatory for hunters.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=hunter+orange

• He has to wear an orange hat. If he wore a red one, people might think he was a squirrel.

(And anyone who gets the reference is welcome to come pigeon poisoning with me this weekend).

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@Zylon said:

"It's the Bass Pro Shops site open in a browser with a large image of a dude holding a rifle with the words 'More Great Archery Gear For Dear' above him."

And you still know all the details that matter! 

I can get it down to 3 with some lossy compression:

WTF

• @Spectre said:

Do people actually hunt deer with bows and arrows?  I think they use hounds over here.  I would have thought a hit from an arrow would be less likely to result in a quick kill than a shot from a revolver.

• @upsidedowncreature said:

@Spectre said:

Do people actually hunt deer with bows and arrows?  I think they use hounds over here.  I would have thought a hit from an arrow would be less likely to result in a quick kill than a shot from a revolver.

I'd use a bazooka, just to be sure.

Hold on, I didn't say that!

•  If you put enough Curare on your arrows, the kill is fast enough. But I think hunting with bows and arrows is illegal here, so people use rifles or cars (if they have no license).

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:

@Zylon said:

This is as clear a case as I've ever seen of a word not being worth a thousand pictures!

• @pjt33 said:

He has to wear an orange hat. If he wore a red one, people might think he was a squirrel.

(And anyone who gets the reference is welcome to come pigeon poisoning with me this weekend).

Is it spring, already?

"Spring is here; spring is here.  Life is skittles and life is beer.  I think the loveliest time of the year is the spring, don't you?  'Course you do!

But there's one thing that makes spring complete for me, that makes every Sunday a treat for me....

So, if Sunday you're free, why don't you come with me, and we'll...."

With apologies to Tom Lehrer if I've misremembered his wonderful lyrics.

• @upsidedowncreature said:

@Spectre said:

I have.  Its actually really hard.  I went back to my rifle this year. (still did not get anything...)

• @CodeSimian said:

@gerard_ said:

Not to be too pedantic or boring, but I think orange is worn by hunters to avoid being shot by other hunters.  They don't want the camouflage to work too well.  In some jurisdictions and situations, I believe wearing orange is mandatory for hunters.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=hunter+orange

Ya, and Deer are reg-green color blind, so they don't see the orange.

•  @belgariontheking said:

@Zylon said:

That's odd.  When I look at the image on my hard drive, it's only 900K.

It's by far the largest png (file size) that I have in that directory.  PNG usually doesn't get that big.  For instance, I have one that's actually full screen but it's only 114K. 

The 900K image was perfect quality, whereas the 1800K image lost quality.  Go figure.

Most likely photobucket fuckets up the picture in some way. Can you upload the 114K one to a proper non-bucket server so we can pick it apart?

Note:

PNG is better at compressing noise.
    GIF is better at large volumes || repetitive stuff.
    JPEG is best at (small) gradients (i.e. a photograph)
    Photoshop's Save For Web makes somewhat bigger PNGs than plain Save As PNG. ( = wtf)
    Adobe can save its guidelines in jpegs.
    I like iliketrains, and I have tickets.