New PC WTF

• I helped my inlaws order a new PC.  It was a decent computer at a great price.  dual-core pentium 2.0Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.  They did opt for the nice 22" LCD monitor.

It came in yesterday, so I trekked to their house, prepared for the long night of fighting.  (It came preloaded with Vista.)

I get there, go through the normal start up, and got to the desktop.

I uninstalled a bunch of crap that wasn't needed.  I removed a bunch of crap from the startup. I updated the display to suit their vision and likings.

I set up the side bar with all the neat little things to look at.

I installed firefox with the appropriate plug-ins and completely hid IE.

I ran windows update to get the years worth of patches. 

I plugged in the printer (USB) and turned it on.

And the WTF was:

Nothing.  Microsoft didn't even put up a fight.  The computer runs well.  Everything they need works.

I am not mon-OS-istic*, so do consider this MS bashing.  I have issues with all major OSes.

Maybe the real WTF is that I expected things to fail. 

*mon-OS-istic, adj, the belief in using only one OS.

does that make agn-OS-istic - the refusal to use an OS?

• @dphunct said:

And the WTF was:

Nothing.  Microsoft didn't even put up a fight.  The computer runs well.  Everything they need works.

Ok, I have to admit I didn't see that coming.

• I bought my wife a new PC last weekend and expected the same kind of fight... Interestingly, the only problem I had was with the Netgear wireless adapter and driver software.

•  Good story.  I bought my laptop a while back when Vista first came out and I have to tell you, the only thing that has EVER gone wrong was with the video card.  Nvidia didn't have a Vista driver ready for the card that came with the laptop.  I wasn't getting the performance that I should have out of a 512mb video card, but w/e.

•  you shouldn't hide IE because Firefox still has problems.  I find myself having to load up IE about once a week when video or something doesn't work in firefox.

• @tster said:

you shouldn't hide IE because Firefox still has problems.  I find myself having to load up IE about once a week when video or something doesn't work in firefox.

one of the requirements for getting the new PC was to use Netflix movies-on-demand, which doesn't work by default in Firefox.  However, I found the IE Tab plug-in works.  It spawns IE in a Firefox tab.  You simply provide a list of sites to use IE instead of Firefox.

Other Firefox plugins (ad blocker, noscript, etc) do not work in the tab, but that is the tradeoff.

• @dphunct said:

However, I found the IE Tab plug-in works.  It spawns IE in a Firefox tab.  You simply provide a list of sites to use IE instead of Firefox.

I can understand the use of this, but on first glance it seems like is one of those WTF fixes for a work-around to a meta-problem

• @Helix said:

@dphunct said:

However, I found the IE Tab plug-in works.  It spawns IE in a Firefox tab.  You simply provide a list of sites to use IE instead of Firefox.

I can understand the use of this, but on first glance it seems like is one of those WTF fixes for a work-around to a meta-problem

I dunno.  It's not a WTFey implementation.  My only issue with it is that the site I use it for doesn't get autocompleted in the awesomebar.  It's clean and easy to use.

• @dphunct said:

Ha! Ha!

Okay.

No really, come on, which part was fucked up?

@dphunct said:

does that make agn-OS-istic - the refusal to use an OS?

Keeping open the option that any One True OS may turn out to be a reality, but living life as though there is no such thing?

i.e. you?

atheOStic would be the refusal to acknlowledge any form of OS.

But as OS's are real and gods are not, the wordplay is strained a little here and there. :)