Numbers in your wallet

• As part of a newspaper article on the theft of a bunch of debit card numbers complete with their PINs (that had been incorrectly saved by a local branch of a national retailer), there was a sidebar that gave this advice:

"Use a random PIN that doesn't contain any numbers that appear in your wallet."

I read that and said "whaaaaa?"  There AREN'T any numbers that don't appear in my wallet...  Do I have to wait for some new numbers to be discovered, or invented, or what?

• @DWalker59 said:

As part of a newspaper article on the theft of a bunch of debit card numbers complete with their PINs (that had been incorrectly saved by a local branch of a national retailer), there was a sidebar that gave this advice:

I read that and said "whaaaaa?"  There AREN'T any numbers that don't appear in my wallet...  Do I have to wait for some new numbers to be discovered, or invented, or what?

That you thought that joke was funny enough to post scares me.

• Not in my wallet.

That means I can use 50 and 100 and 200 and 500 and...

Oh, the vagaries!

• @DWalker59 said:

number != digit

• i was about to post a Side Bar WTF on this topic, then i stopped and thougth.

• Zip:  I thought it was mildly amusing, nothing more.

I know numbers != digits, but still...

• From Wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi)

"The mathematical constant π is a real number..."

Given that, and your statement: "There AREN'T any numbers that don't appear in my wallet."

I think we can logically conclude that you
    are about to become one of the most famous people alive... or you don't get the difference between numbers and digits (as stated elsewhere.)

• hehe, one thing i did for a laugh just in case i ever did loose my wallet was have a sheet of paper in with my credit card saying:

credit card pins:

card1 = 3436

card2 = 4562

card3 = 7835

just in case anyone who found my wallet thinking i was stupid enough to have my pin number written down and that i might of had 3 cards, and hope they enter in the pin wrong 3 times.

I did loose it however a few months ago, and luckily enough it was eaten by an ATM just a few hours later, presuming someone fell for my failsafe.

• @Hitsuji said:

hehe, one thing i did for a laugh just in case i ever did loose my wallet was have a sheet of paper in with my credit card saying:

credit card pins:

card1 = 3436

card2 = 4562

card3 = 7835

just in case anyone who found my wallet thinking i was stupid enough to have my pin number written down and that i might of had 3 cards, and hope they enter in the pin wrong 3 times.

I did loose it however a few months ago, and luckily enough it was eaten by an ATM just a few hours later, presuming someone fell for my failsafe.

Ah, the old Confusion and Misinformation. Great!

• @Hitsuji said:

hehe, one thing i did for a laugh just in case i ever did loose my wallet was have a sheet of paper in with my credit card saying:

credit card pins:

card1 = 3436

card2 = 4562

card3 = 7835

HA!  That's a great one Maskelyne!  Make them think they see exactly what they expect to see!

I'm doing that tonight!

• @marvin_rabbit said:

@Hitsuji said:

credit card pins:

card1 = 3436

card2 = 4562

card3 = 7835

HA!  That's a great one Maskelyne!  Make them think they see exactly what they expect to see!

I'm doing that tonight!

I think it would be more fun to write out a very, very long and complicated equation down as each "PIN".  Make the guy who finds (or steals) the wallet do some work !!

• That's like the guy with the post-it underneath his keyboard that reads "Here are no passwords! P*ss off!"

• @Hitsuji said:

credit card pins:

card1 = 3436

card2 = 4562

card3 = 7835

Awesome. I suppose (like someone's already pointed out) if you wanted to make someone work for it you could obfuscate it a bit more.

You know, maybe make up some numbers, convert them into hex, and then use "word" representations for A-F.

I'll fetch me coat...